XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK now you have my attention.

If there really is a performance difference and not just a settings difference (i.e., reactivity 3 for fast and reactivity 2 for deep) between Fast and Deep coin modes then I am going to need to see more test results from different folks to confirm (Calabash, TNSS?). Deus, starting with 4.x software included a new Deep program that used version 2 signal processing filters while all the other programs (e.g., Deus Fast, Hot, G-Maxx, Dry Beach etc.), other than Gold field, used version 3.X signal processing filters. I recall some testing that Calabash did that noted some audible difference with Deep but it was clearly not cut and dried as far as depth performance is concerned compared to what you have found.

To be completely honest, it was hard for me just viewing the video to audibly confirm that deep had the stronger signal without a doubt than fast, so I am basically just going with what your first-hand observation was. Great video and great info. Thanks. Hope we see others with similar results.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK now you have my attention.

If there really is a performance difference and not just a settings difference (i.e., reactivity 3 for fast and reactivity 2 for deep) between Fast and Deep coin modes then I am going to need to see more test results from different folks to confirm (Calabash, TNSS?). Deus, starting with 4.x software included a new Deep program that used version 2 signal processing filters while all the other programs (e.g., Deus Fast, Hot, G-Maxx, Dry Beach etc.), other than Gold field, used version 3.X signal processing filters. I recall some testing that Calabash did that noted some audible difference with Deep but it was clearly not cut and dried as far as depth performance is concerned compared to what you have found.

To be completely honest, it was hard for me just viewing the video to audibly confirm that deep had the stronger signal without a doubt than fast, so I am basically just going with what your first-hand observation was. Great video and great info. Thanks. Hope we see others with similar results.

I will try to do another test showing the comparison to the XP Deus at the same frequency and reactivity. I was impressed with the depth at Frequency 26.6kHZ and Reactivity 3 using Coin Deep.

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is helpful as I'm dying to get an xp Deus but a new machine is out of my price range. Maybe the ORX is the way to go if it's similar to the XP?

I try to watch YouTube reviews on the ORX but theyre all in French and German.:tongue3:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is helpful as I'm dying to get an xp Deus but a new machine is out of my price range. Maybe the ORX is the way to go if it's similar to the XP?

I try to watch YouTube reviews on the ORX but theyre all in French and German.:tongue3:

Yes, I believe that the ORX is very similar to the performance of the Deus. The same coils. I still need to conduct more tests, but my first hunt went well.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
You should be able to find a used Deus for the price of a ORX.
Although used the extra adjustabity and more programs would be my choice.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I believe that the ORX is very similar to the performance of the Deus. The same coils. I still need to conduct more tests, but my first hunt went well.

Any more on how the deus compares to the ORX? If your hitting coins 9" deep in frequency 26.6 and highest recovery speed I'd say that's pretty good.. I wonder if something inside is different as compared to deus?

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out today for a short hunt with the ORX and noticed a few things. First the coin fast and coin deep are 3 tone programs. The tone break between 2nd and 3rd tones are not adjustable and I believe are set to around 78 conductivity. Secondly, ID norm appears to be on all the time even with the HF coils. This could be a huge advantage with the HF coils when you jack up the frequency. I couldn't see it in my test garden because the targets are deep and conductivity reads higher for deeper targets. Had a great hunt and will post finds after I clean them.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X35 coil will do that on the deus.

Yes it will, but I felt the x35 coil in 9" was deeper across the board over the 9" round HF coil in my garden. My 9" HF coil struggled to hit any coin past 8" deep.. and certainly would not hit it that good at 9-10" deep in my soil..

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it will, but I felt the x35 coil in 9" was deeper across the board over the 9" round HF coil in my garden. My 9" HF coil struggled to hit any coin past 8" deep.. and certainly would not hit it that good at 9-10" deep in my soil..

Depth on high conductors is frequency dependent. What frequency were you using?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out today for a short hunt with the ORX and noticed a few things. First the coin fast and coin deep are 3 tone programs. The tone break between 2nd and 3rd tones are not adjustable and I believe are set to around 78 conductivity. Secondly, ID norm appears to be on all the time even with the HF coils. This could be a huge advantage with the HF coils when you jack up the frequency. I couldn't see it in my test garden because the targets are deep and conductivity reads higher for deeper targets. Had a great hunt and will post finds after I clean them.

Wonder what frequency ID Norm is referenced to on ORX? Probably 18 khz because the Tone 2 to 3 breakpoint of 76 is consistent with the Deus 3-tone default. On the Deus with the X35, ID NORM is referenced to 18 khz which means that you can use ID NORM to "de-compress" the 25 khz TID if desired.

ID NORM has its advantages and disadvantages. I can see that you would need to use ID NORM on a machine where you cannot adjust tone breaks in multi tones. But it is nice to have the choice like on Deus.

I like the iron indicator and TID popup window that displays TID in large font on ORX and the new lightweight but stronger stem/shaft assembly.

However, IMO, still too many limitations on ORX to suit me for performance on par or less than Deus at the established price point (which is equivalent to an Equinox or used XP Deus with controller)

Only two custom program slots

No Tracking GB/Ground Notch/Ground Sensitivity settings

No tone choices other than 3 tone (no pitch, no full tones) and no non-ferrous tone break adjustments or tone frequency adjustments (this is practically a non-starter for me based on how I typically operate the Deus)

Not sure what silencer is actually doing behind the scenes. Hopefully, it does not float with reactivity like the default on the Deus.

No Audio Response setting for modulation of audio vs. target depth.

No Depth Indication (would be nice to have one or the other - depth modulated audio or a depth indicator)

No Overload Indication

No Notch

No option to just use the headphones without the controller.

No WS4 Puck-like auxiliary control and display.

I can see where the non-Deus user might not necessarily miss these features (wouldn't necessarily know any better) but it would feel strange to me.

Keep reporting those observations, though. Good stuff. Really interested in your final assessment.

Last edited:

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth on high conductors is frequency dependent. What frequency were you using?

I'm fully aware of that.. I used all frequencies.. then matched frequencies with the two coils as close as I could get, in the 27 range I believe. So running both 9" coils, x35 and round HF coil at almost exact same frequency the x35 was deeper. Had clearer tones and better id at depth. Tried same test in the 12/14 frequency and same results.. I used several targets from low to high conductors. Several of the targets have been buried for 10 years in my garden. Oh and all other settings were the same on each coil or as close as they could be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fully aware of that.. I used all frequencies.. then matched frequencies with the two coils as close as I could get, in the 27 range I believe. So running both 9" coils, x35 and round HF coil at almost exact same frequency the x35 was deeper. Had clearer tones and better id at depth. Tried same test in the 12/14 frequency and same results.. I used several targets from low to high conductors. Several of the targets have been buried for 10 years in my garden. Oh and all other settings were the same on each coil or as close as they could be.

What is the TX power set on the x35?

TX is set to 2 and not adjustable on the HF coils.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can't read your mind so I have no idea whether you know that or not if you don't write it down. Since the x35 coil can be run down to less tha 4 khz, some folks might mistake that for being a deeper coil vs. the HF, so that's why I asked for the details. Sounds like you ran a valid test. I have the 11" x35 only with the 9" HF so I can't test that out myself, so appreciate the info. Thanks.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the TX power set on the x35?

TX is set to 2 and not adjustable on the HF coils.

It was adjustable. However for the tests I set everything equal or as equal as settings would allow. I don't have a deus at the moment.. in my ground though, the deus basic settings worked 95% of the time with only minor adjustments needed. Only in severe situations were settings needed to be changed alot.. heavy iron or extreme depth. That's why I was watching reviews on the ORX. The equinox does everything I need but a $750 ORX for traveling or just keeping in a backpack like a grab and go would be nice and a great back up detector. I'd keep it with me camping..

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't read your mind so I have no idea whether you know that or not if you don't write it down. Since the x35 coil can be run down to less tha 4 khz, some folks might mistake that for being a deeper coil vs. the HF, so that's why I asked for the details. Sounds like you ran a valid test. I have the 11" x35 only with the 9" HF so I can't test that out myself, so appreciate the info. Thanks.
The only test idid not do is extreme iron separation text. Like using highest frequencies on each coil to see if 54kHz would be better in those situations. I feel that yes 54kHz would most likely be a better frequency in a severe situation like that, but with that said I never used 54kHz in any hunt. I could run both the x35 and HF coils maxed out on sensitivity with no chatter at all, all targets sounded smooth with good clear tones and seen zero difference other than depth and that's when the tones were cleaner on deeper targets over the HF coil. So 99.8% of all of my hunting could be done with an x35 coil easily.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I don't mean to be standoffish but I'm a retired corrections officer and having 2400 inmates question everything you do every day for 25 years makes people this way.. most everyone that I worked with are the same way.. we hate having to explain everything and having to give every detail just to please. Nothing against you at all, but it's been mentally beat into me for so long. Lol

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I don't mean to be standoffish but I'm a retired corrections officer and having 2400 inmates question everything you do every day for 25 years makes people this way.. most everyone that I worked with are the same way.. we hate having to explain everything and having to give every detail just to please. Nothing against you at all, but it's been mentally beat into me for so long. Lol

Bill, I get it. I don't ask for the information just for the hell of it or to show off as some detector know it all nerd twit. I do it because people sling a lot of information around the boards and it helps me and others who are just reading and not posting to separate fact from fiction. Your info is obviously fact backed up by thorough testing but I have no way of knowing that otherwise. Thanks for the added info and great information for me to have when I have to make the call for depth or separation. I noticed a difference too but chalked it up to the bigger coil size. That's why I got the bigger coil instead of a 9" x35 do that I could cover the bases. 9" HF for thick iron, 11" x35 for depth and coverage. I rarely use 54khz myself either, but since I already had the 9" HF coil I went for the 11" x35. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions