Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What functionality. Does the 5.2 update add to the lite? Someone told me that the update allows for expert mode in the Deus lite. Is this true?

I'm leaning towards buying a new Deus XP Lite, then save some money and buy the controller down the road

The update allows more settings to be accessed by the headphones. There isn't an "Expert" mode. There are "Expert" menu settings that can now be accessed by the headphones thate were not previously available.

While you can certainly detect with the lite setup it is pretty restrictive. The Deus lite (no controller) configuration has a lot of drawbacks:

You need the controller or to borrow a controller to do future software updates.

You need the controller to access the pinpoint mode

You need the controller to save settings and custom programs for the next session or you have to tediously set up your machine again using the headphones.

In summary - with the Deus lite setup you are basically relegated to the stock programs, you can customize on the fly but not save anything, you do not have access to the pinpoint function, you cant do software updates unless you borrow a controller. Also, you lose controller display functionality as described below.

The display on the controller has a lot of information that you cannot access via just the headphones such as:

Depth Meter/Iron Indicator (aka the horseshoe display)

The X-Y display screen

Mineralization Bar

The Target ID indicator (there is a Target ID indicator on the headphones but it is kind of hard to see when you are wearing them - the WS4 backphones allow you to detach the puck and mount it on your wrist or on the stem of the detector rod assembly if you have the proper accessories but then you need to buy another accessory to be able to plug wired phones into the puck mounted now on your detector stem (kind of defeats the whole purpose of having wireless phones, but it is workable)).

Also, there are some user settings that are still not available for adjustment using the just the headphones even after the update to 5.2 - including the adjusting the silencer filter and tone ID breaks for multi-tone setups (2, 3, 4, and 5 tones).

Frankly, the Deus lite setup is more suited to the expert Deus user who already has a controller and who wants a second machine or second coil as a backup or to let a hunting partner borrow and really is just more confusing and awkward to to setup for the new user. I went the lite route when I first got my Deus and quickly realized how limited it was. Two weeks later I was purchasing a full unit.

After you really learn the Deus you can be more comfortable using it without having to glance at the controller all the time, but starting out without the controller is a hard, non-intuitive way to learn the machine, IMO.

Although, the XP ORX has a lot of limitations compared to Deus Full, at least you can get one with a control unit and wireless phones and coil for the same price as a Deus lite. Using a controller is more intuitive, the coil you get can be used should you decide to upgrade to a Deus later and at least you can program and save a few custom programs and do updates, so I would consider getting that.

Better yet, look for a gently used Deus Full unit in good condition which can be picked up for about the same price or just slightly more than a Deus lite unit.

HTH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The update allows more settings to be accessed by the headphones. There isn't an "Expert" mode. There are "Expert" menu settings that can now be accessed by the headphones thate were not previously available.

While you can certainly detect with the lite setup it is pretty restrictive. The Deus lite (no controller) configuration has a lot of drawbacks:

You need the controller or to borrow a controller to do future software updates.

You need the controller to save settings and custom programs for the next session or you have to tediously set up your machine again using the headphones.

In summary - with the Deus lite setup you are basically relegated to the stock programs, you can customize on the fly but not save anything, you do not have access to the pinpoint function, you cant do software updates unless you borrow a controller. Also, you lose controller display functionality as described below.

The display on the controller has a lot of information that you cannot access via just the headphones such as:

The X-Y display screen

Mineralization Bar

The Target ID indicator (there is a Target ID indicator on the headphones but it is kind of hard to see when you are wearing them - the WS4 backphones allow you to detach the puck and mount it on your wrist or on the stem of the detector rod assembly if you have the proper accessories but then you need to buy another accessory to be able to plug wired phones into the puck mounted now on your detector stem (kind of defeats the whole purpose of having wireless phones, but it is workable)).

Also, there are some user settings that are still not available for adjustment using the just the headphones even after the update to 5.2 - including the adjusting the silencer filter and tone ID breaks for multi-tone setups (2, 3, 4, and 5 tones).

Frankly, the Deus lite setup is more suited to the expert Deus user who already has a controller and who wants a second machine or second coil as a backup or to let a hunting partner borrow and really is just more confusing and awkward to to setup for the new user. I went the lite route when I first got my Deus and quickly realized how limited it was. Two weeks later I was purchasing a full unit.

After you really learn the Deus you can be more comfortable using it without having to glance at the controller all the time, but starting out without the controller is a hard, non-intuitive way to learn the machine, IMO.

Although, the XP ORX has a lot of limitations compared to Deus Full, at least you can get one with a control unit and wireless phones and coil for the same price as a Deus lite. Using a controller is more intuitive, the coil you get can be used should you decide to upgrade to a Deus later and at least you can program and save a few custom programs and do updates, so I would consider getting that.

Better yet, look for a gently used Deus Full unit in good condition which can be picked up for about the same price or just slightly more than a Deus lite unit.

HTH.

Thank you for the thorough response my friend. Back to looking for a used XP!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw

The X-Y display screen

Mineralization Bar

HTH.

V, you are referring to the controller several times. I am confused about what the controller is, is it the hockey puck that comes with the Deus lite or is it the Remote that you are calling the controller?

Tks,
geo

UncleTom

Jun 3, 2006
SEABROOK TEXAS
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I and II, CTX-3030, Equinox 600, X-terra 70,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you buy the remote control later new they are like $800.00 something to consider.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
V is refering to the Remote/controller (cellphone size) unit that comes with a complete Deus unit.
I would keep looking for a full unit, I just saw where someone picked up a couple of months old one in the $700. range.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread