X35 Question

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good afternoon, this past fall, I got quite the deal on an XP Deus that had only been used two or three times. I love the machine, mine came with the 11 inch LF coil, which I am finding to be very stable, but a little too big for every day use. I have been looking at the 9 inch coils and would probably select the X35 as my go to as I am primarily a coin shooter.

First of all, and I know; soil conditions, soil conditions, soil conditions... Does the X35 “kill” the LF coils, or would I be OK with a used 9 inch LF if I got a good deal? Remember, I coin hunt 99.9% of the time.

Second, I have a base program that I built that has been showing the coins no mercy. It’s a 12K program with an 8K counterpart (ID NORM = Off) that I use to scrutinize high TDI iron targets without using notch or tone breaks. Do base programs created for use with an LF coil translate nicely to the X35 coils?

This cold snap has killed off my money tree so I need to find the most cost effective means of obtaining a 9 inch coil. Thanks for your input!

Mike

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LF coils coils are much much better for coin shooting because they dont "light up" all of the other non ferrous "junk" or relics like the X series (X series running at the higher frequencies) or HF coils do, so that kinda answers your second question i suppose....keep an eye in the Classifieds forums.....im going to be selling my 9" LF coil soon to get a 9" HF, because im just the opposite, I relic hunt 99.9% of the time and have a NOX for the once a year i coin shoot....i'll probably let it go for around $200

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LF coils coils are much much better for coin shooting because they dont "light up" all of the other non ferrous "junk" or relics like the X series (X series running at the higher frequencies) or HF coils do, so that kinda answers your second question i suppose....keep an eye in the Classifieds forums.....im going to be selling my 9" LF coil soon to get a 9" HF, because im just the opposite, I relic hunt 99.9% of the time and have a NOX for the once a year i coin shoot....i'll probably let it go for around $200

Ted I may be misreading your post, but other than the fact that people are dumping their LF coils so you can get a bargain price, the X35 blows away the LF coil for coin shooting.

First - you can operate it down to 3.7 KHZ for deep silver if the EMI supports that and you can adjust TX power to two different levels whereas you were locked into TX3 on the LF coil at 4 khz.

Second - You can frequency shift at all base frequencies without locking TX power unlike the LF coil

Third - You can CHOOSE to operate at the high frequency (25 khz) if needed which is great if you are going after gold jewelry or mid-conductive relics, especially in thick iron, otherwise just operate it at any of the other "normal" frequencies for coin shooting (4 khz, 8khz, 12 khz) or 18 khz for jewelry.

Today, knowing what I know now, it would be a close call as to whether I would get the 9" HF (my favorite Deus coil) or the 9" x35. Since I already owned the 9" HF when the X35 coils were released, I opted for the 11" x35, but would highly recommend the 9" x35 for someone that is focused on coin shooting over the 9" LF legacy, most definitely.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ted I may be misreading your post, but other than the fact that people are dumping their LF coils so you can get a bargain price, the X35 blows away the LF coil for coin shooting.

First - you can operate it down to 3.7 KHZ for deep silver if the EMI supports that and you can adjust TX power to two different levels whereas you were locked into TX3 on the LF coil at 4 khz.

Second - You can frequency shift at all base frequencies without locking TX power unlike the LF coil

Third - You can CHOOSE to operate at the high frequency (25 khz) if needed which is great if you are going after gold jewelry or mid-conductive relics, especially in thick iron, otherwise just operate it at any of the other "normal" frequencies for coin shooting (4 khz, 8khz, 12 khz) or 18 khz for jewelry.

Today, knowing what I know now, it would be a close call as to whether I would get the 9" HF (my favorite Deus coil) or the 9" x35. Since I already owned the 9" HF when the X35 coils were released, I opted for the 11" x35, but would highly recommend the 9" x35 for someone that is focused on coin shooting over the 9" LF legacy, most definitely.
All true and good points but, and maybe its just me, the minor advantages you mention, again to me, dont justify the cost, even if you sell off a LF coil to compensate the price of the new X series coil, especially for coin shooting.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All true and good points but, and maybe its just me, the minor advantages you mention, again to me, dont justify the cost, even if you sell off a LF coil to compensate the price of the new X series coil, especially for coin shooting.

Understood. XP fixed a lot of performance shortcomings with the LF coil at the lower frequencies and added the HF frequency, so from a pure performance standpoint the x35's blow away the LF, but I agree that everyone will have a different perspective on the value of those enhancements vs. a bargain basement used LF coil.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Understood. XP fixed a lot of performance shortcomings with the LF coil at the lower frequencies and added the HF frequency, so from a pure performance standpoint the x35's blow away the LF, but I agree that everyone will have a different perspective on the value of those enhancements vs. a bargain basement used LF coil.
Hole for hole..target dug vs target dug....I honestly think i could out "coin shoot" a 9" X35 with my 9" LF....i felt the X coil still "lit up" junk more / higher than my liking....maybe someday we can go head to head and end our friendly debate! OP says thats all he does and i feel it just a better coil for coin shooting....relic and jewelry hunting is a whole different animal obviously.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You felt it lit up mid conductive junk even at the low frequencies? Strange.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hole for hole..target dug vs target dug....I honestly think i could out "coin shoot" a 9" X35 with my 9" LF....i felt the X coil still "lit up" junk more / higher than my liking....maybe someday we can go head to head and end our friendly debate! OP says thats all he does and i feel it just a better coil for coin shooting....relic and jewelry hunting is a whole different animal obviously.
That makes no sense at all.. the x35 coils are way more stable, less emi, more frequencies.. I've had many LF coils and none of them were even in the same vicinity as the x35 coils I use. X35 coils are deeper also. Mostly due to being able to run sensitivity at 98-99 almost all the time.. the targets sound better .. frequencies as low as 3.7 and as high as 27.7 makes them very cost effective for people relic hunting and needing that high frequency and the want a silver hunt running 3.7kHz with boost ;).

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tedyoh and vferrari, to the best of your knowledge, would programs built for the LF coils “migrate” nicely / properly to the X35?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You felt it lit up mid conductive junk even at the low frequencies? Strange.
Not so much at 4 but overall yes in general...it.just felt hotter to me...probably should have given it more than 20 hours or so....just wasnt seeing or feeling any massive benefits over the ecliptical or LF

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes no sense at all.. the x35 coils are way more stable, less emi, more frequencies.. I've had many LF coils and none of them were even in the same vicinity as the x35 coils I use. X35 coils are deeper also. Mostly due to being able to run sensitivity at 98-99 almost all the time.. the targets sound better .. frequencies as low as 3.7 and as high as 27.7 makes them very cost effective for people relic hunting and needing that high frequency and the want a silver hunt running 3.7kHz with boost ;).
Again....good points but please re-read OP's 2nd and 4th paragraph....if he had deep pockets id say get a NOX 800 and cherry pick all the coins you want from parks and peoples yards....

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tedyoh and vferrari, to the best of your knowledge, would programs built for the LF coils “migrate” nicely / properly to the X35?
All depends on what software version you run now with the LF....need to upgrade software to run the X series coils (cant remember the version number)....which means your custom programs get erased so you'll need to write them down before upgrading....hopefully you remember what stock program you edited to build your custom program(s)...other than that i see no issues other than the target numbers you're use to will change.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI, my other coin program is an Equinox 600, got it for pennies on the dollar after trading in my AT Pro.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, my other coin program is an Equinox 600, got it for pennies on the dollar after trading in my AT Pro.
Well you're gold then....600 should be your coin cherry picker....save up and take up relic hunting and get (in my opinion) a 9" HF

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had all Lf coils and both HF coils. I now have the elliptical and the 3 X coils. I like the 9" X coil over the 9" HF. It has lower frequencies, not locked to TX3, yet has a high enough freq for great relic hunting. I find it more stable and better reacting than the LF. It seems quicker at reporting targets and more accurate at it too. I've been doing very very well with it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tedyoh is right. If you get the X35, it will require a SW update to 5.2 and that will wipe all your custom programs so save the program settings on paper. In general, you should be able to re-enter the programs and they should work for the X35 coil as the base frequencies are similar to the LF coils. There are some differences in the way tracking GB works if you used that in you programs and ID norm defaults to on, so you need to change that global setting if you want ID Norm off. Also, couple of the base pre-installed programs changed. I base all my custom programs off Deus Fast which did not change with the new software. HTH

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much at 4 but overall yes in general...it.just felt hotter to me...probably should have given it more than 20 hours or so....just wasnt seeing or feeling any massive benefits over the ecliptical or LF

I think I found it to be more susceptible to EMI than the LF or the HF coils at the lower frequencies but found its response on targets to be as expected based on frequency used. However, to be fair, I was hunting mostly in 12 khz and 25 khz because those programs roughly translate over to the two lower HF coil frequencies so I can use the same base programs on both.

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do feel that the round HF coil is the smoothest running coil of all of the coil options. And it does well on all targets. There may be a half inch to an inch depth loss in my ground compared to the 9" x35 coil using as close to same settings as possible including frequency.. if someone already owns the round HF coil I doubt there is any need to buy the 9" x35 coil..

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I traded in my 9" & 11" LF coils and picked up a 11" X35 and I have the 9" HF coil, so I still have a 9" & 11" coil.
I feel that I'm covering most all of the bases.
Also have the 11x13 LF coil for those conditions where you're looking for a site in open ground or big targets.
I've only had the X35 out a couple of times and I'm impressed with it's performance.
Covers ground well, can run it hot, separates well and I can pick from all of the frequencies, low to high.
So, with this combination I can hunt in the low frequencies or the high depending on what I'm after. Coins or Relics.

Don't know if this answers any of your questions, but I hope it well help in your decision.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I traded in my 9" & 11" LF coils and picked up a 11" X35 and I have the 9" HF coil, so I still have a 9" & 11" coil.
I feel that I'm covering most all of the bases.
Also have the 11x13 LF coil for those conditions where you're looking for a site in open ground or big targets.
I've only had the X35 out a couple of times and I'm impressed with it's performance.
Covers ground well, can run it hot, separates well and I can pick from all of the frequencies, low to high.
So, with this combination I can hunt in the low frequencies or the high depending on what I'm after. Coins or Relics.

Don't know if this answers any of your questions, but I hope it well help in your decision.

Exactly what I do too but never opted for the larger 11x13 coil. My third coil is the HF elliptical for tight spots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread