Nokta Fors CoRe
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Simplex+
XP Deus
Minelab NOX 600
Minelab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with the FX-02 set figuring I rarely use headphones and when I do I would just plug my wired Gray Ghosts in. I did that for a while just fine. You can always pick up a pair of WS phones used but the controller is much harder to come by second hand. And you really need the controller to use the Deus to its full potential...

Most people just go ahead and pick the packages that include a controller and headphones. Contact some of the sellers that sponsor this forum. They will beat Amazon's prices I'm told.

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. The headphones don't concern me. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out what the "controller" does vs the "hockey puck"?

Yes, I'd buy it from a forum sponsor... I was just using Amazon to compare the vast difference in price between the various versions.

Thanks,
-Joe

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. The headphones don't concern me. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out what the "controller" does vs the "hockey puck"?

Yes, I'd buy it from a forum sponsor... I was just using Amazon to compare the vast difference in price between the various versions.

Thanks,
-Joe

Well, you quoted my post in the 5.2 Update thread and I pretty much spelled it out there, but here you go again...(edited to address the specific differences between the controller and the headphone hockey puck)

You need the controller or to borrow a controller to do future software updates.

You need the controller to access the pinpoint mode

You need the controller to save settings and custom programs for the next session or you have to tediously set up your machine again using the headphones.

In summary - with just the hockey puck, you are basically relegated to the stock programs, you can customize on the fly but not save anything, you do not have access to the pinpoint function, you cant do software updates unless you borrow a controller. Also, you lose controller display functionality as described below.

The display on the controller has a lot of information that you cannot access via just the headphones such as:

Depth Meter/Iron Indicator (aka the horseshoe display)

The X-Y display screen

Mineralization Bar

The Target ID indicator (there is a Target ID indicator on the headphones but it is kind of hard to see when you are wearing them - the WS4 backphones allow you to detach the puck and mount it on your wrist or on the stem of the detector rod assembly if you have the proper accessories but then you need to buy another accessory to be able to plug wired phones into the puck mounted now on your detector stem (kind of defeats the whole purpose of having wireless phones, but it is workable)).

Also, there are some user settings that are not available for adjustment using the just the headphones inc adjusting the silencer filter and tone ID breaks for multi-tone setups (2, 3, 4, and 5 tones).

Note also - the controller is not waterproof but the wireless back phone puck is waterproof.

HTH

JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you quoted my post in the 5.2 Update thread and I pretty much spelled it out there, but here you go again...(edited to address the specific differences between the controller and the headphone hockey puck)

I'm not sure what you mean by me quoting you... you must have me confused with someone else... or I've had a stroke. lol

Either way thanks for the info. I think I have it figured out. Just all this time when someone said they bought a Deus I thought it was one product. After looking at the XP web site it seems that there are about 6 versions.

-Joe

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
May have been my post that quoted you V. Thanks for setting me straight!

geo

Last edited:

cougar14

Aug 6, 2017
Concord
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been digging for about 2 years w/my Ace 400, and am ready to upgrade. The Deus looks good, but the 800 looks pretty good, and a few bucks cheaper. Appreciate any helpful thoughts!

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been digging for about 2 years w/my Ace 400, and am ready to upgrade. The Deus looks good, but the 800 looks pretty good, and a few bucks cheaper. Appreciate any helpful thoughts!

Can't go wrong either way. I was debating between Equinox and Deus. Decided on Deus, it's just so cool looking and I love the sounds, especially in pitch mode, and obviously because of all the features.

Watch Calabash Digger's YouTube videos. He has a lot of Deus and Equinox comparison stuff.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what you mean by me quoting you... you must have me confused with someone else... or I've had a stroke. lol

Either way thanks for the info. I think I have it figured out. Just all this time when someone said they bought a Deus I thought it was one product. After looking at the XP web site it seems that there are about 6 versions.

-Joe

May have been my post that quoted you V. Thanks for setting me straight!

geo

Yep. Sorry folks, I botched it. Got user names mixed up with folks asking similar questions in two different threads posted in parallel. Hope the info was helpful nevertheless.

Regarding the 6 different versions, that is mainly a function of the versatility of wireless enabling putting the operating "brains" in the coil and enabling the Deus to be configured in different combinations of coil, controller, and headphones like Legos building blocks depending on the needs of the user for the detecting situation at hand. The downside to the Deus approach, is that it makes the coils expensive and use of wireless comms between the coil and controller or headphones doesn't work when the coil is submerged, necessitating the use of a wire antenna.

HTH

OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Sorry folks, I botched it. Got user names mixed up with folks asking similar questions in two different threads posted in parallel. Hope the info was helpful nevertheless.

Regarding the 6 different versions, that is mainly a function of the versatility of wireless enabling putting the operating "brains" in the coil and enabling the Deus to be configured in different combinations of coil, controller, and headphones like Legos building blocks depending on the needs of the user for the detecting situation at hand. The downside to the Deus approach, is that it makes the coils expensive and use of wireless comms between the coil and controller or headphones doesn't work when the coil is submerged, necessitating the use of a wire antenna.

HTH

I do a fair amount of water hunting too, so I'm interested to see how the Deus fairs when I'm shoulder deep in the water.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a fair amount of water hunting too, so I'm interested to see how the Deus fairs when I'm shoulder deep in the water.

There are cheap water antenna kits available or you can easily fashion your own simply by taking an insulated and sealed small diameter coax with exposed (but sealed) wire stubs at both ends and running it from the coil to a point where the other end continuously stays above the water line and is a few inches from your wireless phones (e.g., fastened to a point on your shoulder). The WM04 wireless back phones are submersible but the controller is only marginally weatherproof. If you are going hunting in water that deep, leave the controller in the car and just hunt by tone with the WM04's. The full over the ear WM05's are only weather resistant and will not survive a dunking, so avoid the WM05's if you do a lot of water hunting. HTH

To be honest, it works, but the setup is not ideal for frequent water hunting and having to protect the controller from foul weather, chattery salt beach performance all led me to Equinox as the ideal beach machine that can also kill it in the woods.

The Deus and Equinox compliment each other well and for the variety of detecting I do, I find that I use both a lot. Equinox for water, beach, and certain types of relic hunting and deep high conductive coin shooting and Deus for thick iron, back woods or restricted swing space detecting (where it's light weight and compact profile are ideal) and either one depending on my mood for routine coin shooting or relic field hunting, dry beach, and for gold or other mid conductive targets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are cheap water antenna kits available or you can easily fashion your own simply by taking an insulated and sealed small diameter coax with exposed (but sealed) wire stubs at both ends and running it from the coil to a point where the other end continuously stays above the water line and is a few inches from your wireless phones (e.g., fastened to a point on your shoulder). The WM04 wireless back phones are submersible but the controller is only marginally weatherproof. If you are going hunting in water that deep, leave the controller in the car and just hunt by tone with the WM04's. The full over the ear WM05's are only weather resistant and will not survive a dunking, so avoid the WM05's if you do a lot of water hunting. HTH

To be honest, it works, but the setup is not ideal for frequent water hunting and having to protect the controller from foul weather, chattery salt beach performance all led me to Equinox as the ideal beach machine that can also kill it in the woods.

The Deus and Equinox compliment each other well and for the variety of detecting I do, I find that I use both a lot. Equinox for water, beach, and certain types of relic hunting and deep high conductive coin shooting and Deus for thick iron, back woods or restricted swing space detecting (where it's light weight and compact profile are ideal) and either one depending on my mood for routine coin shooting or relic field hunting, dry beach, and for gold or other mid conductive targets.

My goal is to get an Equinox this summer for water. Until then, I'll get the Deus water kit, keep the controller on the shore. I'm in Minnesota lakes so I won't have to worry about salt. The only salt we have is on the roads.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My goal is to get an Equinox this summer for water. Until then, I'll get the Deus water kit, keep the controller on the shore. I'm in Minnesota lakes so I won't have to worry about salt. The only salt we have is on the roads.

Deus will do great in deep fresh water if you rig up the antenna hack to let the coil signal transmit to the phones. Good luck. Deus and Equinox are a killer combo.

Fskafish

Jan 6, 2019
Southeast indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox, at pro, tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its those prices for the xp deus i question is the orx to much at 899, i feel like it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread