Full Tones Question

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good afternoon, although the long winter has deprived me of the opportunity to go out and dig, it has given me plenty of time to do research! I am thinking that I want to make the jump to full tones, but am wondering about discrimination settings. I have seen people set discrimination as high as 5, and as low as -2.5... My question is; what should discrimination be set at when using full tones?

I am running version 5.2, 11 inch LF coil, and I primarily coinshoot. Thanks!

Mike

victorysgold

Feb 24, 2008
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 3.2, Garrett Propointer II,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make the jump to full tones, you will never go back. As for your discrimination settings, It won't effect the tones you hear for the non ferrous targets. Discrimination is used when you don't want to dig iron targets. the higher you set it, the less iron you will hear. I like to hear a little iron, so i set mine on 2 or 3. hope that helps.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to be able to hear iron (i.e. when looking for old home sites) you have to run zero disc as full tones does not support iron volume. Disc is not just for not hearing ferrous it also prevents ferrous down averaging and running with some level of disc (between 6 and 7) is necessary for reliable operation the horseshoe indicator which provides visual indication of ferrous vs. non-ferrous targets plus non-ferrous depth.

I reconmend full tones only if you want to hear it all including iron and therefore should be run with 0 or negative disc. Otherwise run it with disc at about 7 if you want to be able to use the horseshoe display reliably but you will hear no iron tones whatsoever. HTH.

Like Calabash, I rarely run full tones anymore. I use Pitch with disc set to about 7. This setup allows for ferrous tones and non-ferrous pops out of the ferrous muck with the pitch tone and volume giving you audible information on target size and depth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you as always vferrari for your response! I have seen where both you and calabash have been running pitch, especially over the course of the past year. How does pitch do in sites that have modern trash? I am not a relic hunter, although my travels are starting to bring me to cellar holes on a more frequent basis. I did an air test using full tones last night and really like being able to hear the tonal difference between a nickel and a pull tab for example. Would it be best to use full tones in environments where there is modern trash, and save pitch for cellar holes and relic sites? I guess that I am not certain as to where it makes sense to use pitch instead of full tones and vice versa.

Mike

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you as always vferrari for your response! I have seen where both you and calabash have been running pitch, especially over the course of the past year. How does pitch do in sites that have modern trash? I am not a relic hunter, although my travels are starting to bring me to cellar holes on a more frequent basis. I did an air test using full tones last night and really like being able to hear the tonal difference between a nickel and a pull tab for example. Would it be best to use full tones in environments where there is modern trash, and save pitch for cellar holes and relic sites? I guess that I am not certain as to where it makes sense to use pitch instead of full tones and vice versa.

Mike

Tones vs. pitch might be the way to go to pick up on subtle modern trash audio nuances but note that since the tones correspond roughly to TID in full tones, the audio nuances should be similar whether you are running full, 5, 4, or even 3 tones. The point I am trying to make is that even in full tones, the TID between a nickel and pull tab are very similar (in the 50's in 8 to 14 khz) but even in full tones the tonal resolution is low (i.e. there are only about 30 to 40 tones [can't remember the exact number, but it is certainty not 99 tones] spread across 0 to 99 VDI) so even in 5 tones or perhaps even three tones you can still pick up the audio nuances (distortion, clipping, sharp or soft) between different targets of similar TID/tone. BTW if you can actually hear the difference in tonal quality between a pristine, unbent pull tab and nickel, color me impressed. I don't think I can do that.

OTOH, regarding that mid-tone target range (30 to 60 TID), I would still dig the likely tabs because anything can happen since that is also the range where gold coins and jewelry can pop up.

Big trash such as aluminum cans are obvious even in pitch mode because their non-coin shape and large size tend to similarly distort the pitch audio even if they ring up like quarters. Smaller twisted trash items like can slaw also distort pitch, so I personally just stick with pitch even in midern trash sites.

Last edited:

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VF quick question,
Let'S say I have my "Disc" set to 7.5 and am running full tones, I have Iron volume set at 2.
Your saying I will not hear any iron all all? Can someone give me a straight answer as I can't remember but I think I remember hearing the iron grunts.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This machine really does offer the detectorist with nearly unlimited options! I will probably end up making both a full tones and a pitch program and see which one serves me best based on my hunting style and soil conditions. I can't wait to do some testing, now all that I need is for the ground to thaw! Thank you very much for all of your help!

Mike

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VF quick question,
Let'S say I have my "Disc" set to 7.5 and am running full tones, I have Iron volume set at 2.
Your saying I will not hear any iron all all? Can someone give me a straight answer as I can't remember but I think I remember hearing the iron grunts.

You may have heard low full tones for the targets in the 7.5 to 10 range, but I honestly have never seen a target ID to full tones pitch chart to know. What I do know is that you will hear silence for any target ID below the disc setting, regardless of the iron volume setting. I haven't run full tones recently, so I can't confirm how far up the TID scale the full tones sound like iron. Sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread