JoeInMO

Jan 12, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash,

Good video. A couple of things:

1. I'd like to see you compare the ORX and Deus head to head.

2. From what I understand the iron volume isn't adjustable... either on or off. On other detectors you haven't liked that at all. Is that a factor on the ORX?

Thanks for all you do,
-Joe

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening Calabash, a good buddy of mine just picked up an ORX. I gotta tell you, this machine has its place! We’re primarily coin shooters, so a simple, 3 tone, turn on and go machine fits the bill! None of us are getting any younger, so the weight and relatively low cost of the machine were factors in his purchasing decision. We did a simple air test today and were really blown away by the results. I’ll stick with my Deus, but I think that the ORX is an excellent choice for a lot of people out there. Thanks for the video, I really appreciate the effort that you put in to providing us all with some really great information! When can I buy a hat or shirt that says “Uh oh” on it?

Mike

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash,

Good video. A couple of things:

1. I'd like to see you compare the ORX and Deus head to head.

2. From what I understand the iron volume isn't adjustable... either on or off. On other detectors you haven't liked that at all. Is that a factor on the ORX?

Thanks for all you do,
-Joe

I hope they change that in a update..it is a dislike.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video bud. For someone like me who has the deus with the HF’s i might just pickup the control box for $350 as a spare. Buying the control box still gets you the 5 year warrenty and who knows what the future of updates looks like for the ORX. I know its simplified but iron volume adjustment would be nice. What do you think the iron on level is at compared to the deus? I leave mine at two most of the time. Is it blaring loud or like a level two or three?

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Man CD your the best.
Great video...

GOPRO stop recording....

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man CD your the best.
Great video...

GOPRO stop recording....

Uttt ohhhh

Calabash, do i have your permission to use your new utttt ohhhh in my videos? Haha

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great video bud. For someone like me who has the deus with the HF’s i might just pickup the control box for $350 as a spare. Buying the control box still gets you the 5 year warrenty and who knows what the future of updates looks like for the ORX. I know its simplified but iron volume adjustment would be nice. What do you think the iron on level is at compared to the deus? I leave mine at two most of the time. Is it blaring loud or like a level two or three?

Iffy, You need the headphones too because the ORX control box is incompatible with the Deus headphones. Have you seen the ORX control box on sale standalone?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great job of comparing it to the Deus XP and explaining the differences. should answer a lot of questions for some and be just the ticket for some.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

About the same as iron vol is in full tones...??

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iffy, You need the headphones too because the ORX control box is incompatible with the Deus headphones. Have you seen the ORX control box on sale standalone?

Yes.. Colonial metal detectors sells them for 350. Found the stem on ebay for 129.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.. Colonial metal detectors sells them for 350. Found the stem on ebay for 129.

5DE9F134-619E-45B3-ABEA-E9646F7F2EE2.png

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the same as iron vol is in full tones...??

I would say the Iron Vol is at level 3 on the ORX. I have not even tried to hunt with the iron vol off. You lose targets when you turn it all the way off.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So doing the math: Stem + Controller + Headphones = $129+$350+$120 = $599 Leaving $300 left over for the coils (which retail standalone at $425). So if I was shopping for a new coil type and an ORX as a backup unit, it makes more sense in my case just to buy a new ORX package with whatever coil I want at my dealer's standard discount price rather than buy the piece parts standalone. If I didn't need a coil then the piece parts is the way to go but you pay a small premium. The other way to go is to get an ORX package and then sell the coil like new and you might also come out ahead.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So doing the math: Stem + Controller + Headphones = $129+$350+$120 = $599 Leaving $300 left over for the coils (which retail standalone at $425). So if I was shopping for a new coil type and an ORX as a backup unit, it makes more sense in my case just to buy a new ORX package with whatever coil I want at my dealer's standard discount price rather than buy the piece parts standalone. If I didn't need a coil then the piece parts is the way to go but you pay a small premium. The other way to go is to get an ORX package and then sell the coil like new and you might also come out ahead.

Yea for someone who has a deus already and wants to use the stem and HFs it would be cheaper to get the remote and headphones. But im sure if you call around you can get a seeet deal in the whole package.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea for someone who has a deus already and wants to use the stem and HFs it would be cheaper to get the remote and headphones. But im sure if you call around you can get a seeet deal in the whole package.

Some dealers will sell you the ORX bundle at a discount with the coil of your choice, including the X35 coils if you don't already have one. But I think if you got an ORX package with the HF coil, even if you didn't need it, you could sell the HF coil and still come out about $75 to $100 ahead even at the the retail price vs. buying the piece parts. Got to decide if the $75 to $100 is worth the hassle of trying to sell the HF coil. Anyway, a lot of options...

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what are the settings on the ORX 3 tone program? disc, tx, reac, break points, etc.? thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what are the settings on the ORX 3 tone program? disc, tx, reac, break points, etc.? thanks

For the Coin Modes:

Disc, Sensitivity, Coil Frequency, Iron Volume (on/off), Reactivity (1,2,2.5,3), Ground Balance Setting, Salt Mode (on/off). That's it.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great infromational video Calabash, the ORX is to the Deus, like the Equinox 600 is to the 800 in the way your refer to the big brother cliche'. Thanks as usual for sharing... Possum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread