Trouble charging the Deus...bad chargers?

jalgier

Jan 30, 2017
GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ll, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahoy all. Has anyone experienced issues with the charger/cords not charging the deus? I have had at least three that at some point don’t register with the all three components (coil, headphones, unit). I cant keep buying new cords, but I have no idea what the problem or solution is. It’s not like the headphones charge but the coil doesn’t. All three show no signs of charging when plugged in. Ideas?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the OEM cords are notorious for having internal wire breaks that render them useless over time. Quite frustrating. I have sought out third party solutions on Ebay and elsewhere recently now that all my original triple-headed charge coils have at least one bad cable.

OP
OP
J

jalgier

Jan 30, 2017
GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ll, XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just plugged the cord into yet a different charger and it worked. The previous charger had worked with the cord, but arbitrarily stopped this time around. Had tried others, which didn’t work either. Even plugged the cord directly into my cars USB port. Nothing. This **** drives me crazy.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe your wife disconnected the power to the outlet because you are out detecting all the time? Have you tried another outlet and are you saying you buy new cords and that fixes the problem for a bit then it quits charging again?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reload the software

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although not exactly the same issue...My headphones, control box and coil a year or so ago would show charging....the little bar moving up and down and the light flashing on the coil but would never show a solid bar, meaning they were fully charged, while charging....they were fully charged when I went out in the field but never showed it, even if i left them plugged in for 24 hours....reloaded the software all was good....I've never had an issue with a bad cord yet...and i wrap mine up in a little ball when i put it away...i guess ill stop doing that though.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although not exactly the same issue...My headphones, control box and coil a year or so ago would show charging....the little bar moving up and down and the light flashing on the coil but would never show a solid bar, meaning they were fully charged, while charging....they were fully charged when I went out in the field but never showed it, even if i left them plugged in for 24 hours....reloaded the software all was good....I've never had an issue with a bad cord yet...and i wrap mine up in a little ball when i put it away...i guess ill stop doing that though.

Gotcha, Ted. That happened to me right after an update once, but it was readily apparent because I couldn't get a sat charge, so I reloaded. Long term, these suckers do break down over time and you don't even get the charge indicator to light up. So if you can charge one day and not the next, then the cord is likely damaged. First it manifests as an intermittent open that you can get to work if you bend the cable just so, then it eventually breaks completely. That would explain why it appears to work on some charge ports and not others.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha, Ted. That happened to me right after an update once, but it was readily apparent because I couldn't get a sat charge, so I reloaded. Long term, these suckers do break down over time and you don't even get the charge indicator to light up. So if you can charge one day and not the next, then the cord is likely damaged. First it manifests as an intermittent open that you can get to work if you bend the cable just so, then it eventually breaks completely. That would explain why it appears to work on some charge ports and not others.
Good to know thanks V....i best order a back up....Id be really pissed if in was at camp in PA and the cords or a cord acted up.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those cords are tiny thin. I just bought a couple extras. Nothing like getting out in the field and you don't have what you need.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 3 prong cable from XP crapped out after about a year so I use different cables I have around from other devices and works fine. Even made my own coil charger as if you don't have the coil covers with you the XP chargers will not fit (which I think is so stupid!)

bleeohio

Apr 8, 2017
Nw ohio
Detector(s) used
This space for rent...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not had any cable problems, (knock on wood) but I am curious about the little emergency charger that takes 1aa batt. to carry along just in case.
Anyone use these?

Pat2284

Jun 7, 2017
Berlin, Md
Detector(s) used
XP Deus Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My solution: get a 4 port USB hub and 4 single USB cords (with thicker gauge wire). Allows me to charge 4 at once, with no worries of internal breaks. For what some of these suppliers charge ($22-40) my setup is better and controller, headphones, coil and pin-pointer get charged all at once.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not had any cable problems, (knock on wood) but I am curious about the little emergency charger that takes 1aa batt. to carry along just in case.
Anyone use these?
I have one but never used it...and may have cooked it do to me being an idiot and leaving a battery in it for over a year in my backpack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread