fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't have thought that but good to know. I've ran mine down to 80 a few hunts, seemed to help run it a lil smoother. THANX....

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Well like you said .... Interesting....

But I'm not to sure there are nice even stacks of silver out there, but I would hate to miss that one that was...

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, perhaps. Informative, no. This is why I have given up on air test, Monte Nail Board test, and other non-representative of reality type detector video demonstrations. They just don't bring anything useful to the table and are typically devoid of context or proper real world setup, and the contrived target test setups (Monte's silver stack - really?!) are just do not reflect anything the actual detectorist would come across in the real world, and if it did, it would probably be a one off, so who cares.

He basically lost me when he started stacking targets in stapled cardboard coin holders. Uh, yeah, the staples DO matter. Hey, why not start off with whatever the Deus is telling you the ground balance reading SHOULD be in your basement concrete slab (rolls eyes) instead of randomly adjusting from the default? The whole thing is just ridiculous and I wish I had that 5 minutes of my life back.

I am not a big fan of videos that are not documenting real world detecting situations or at least a properly set up test garden.

Anyway, thanks for that, I guess...

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm also not a fan of videos. I prefer words.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iffy - btw throwing no shade your way on this one. Purely my opinion and my beef is with the producer of the video and thank you for giving me the platform to vent and rant on an issue near and dear to my heart. Lol.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've gotten into the habit, whether right or wrong, of using the GB pumping and going with what it says to go with. This weekend Truth and I were hunting and old shell Midden and I was constantly adjusting my GB because of the lay out of the Midden and natural ground. I could hear my machine starting to act up a bit, then after pumping it and getting a new GB number it was off and running again. JMO and way of doing things.... "Possum"

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iffy - btw throwing no shade your way on this one. Purely my opinion and my beef is with the producer of the video and thank you for giving me the platform to vent and rant on an issue near and dear to my heart. Lol.

Lol. NP, i figured i would post it here to see if anyone else has notice things like this. I leave mine at 88 and roll. Hopefull i dont miss a stack of silver in displays with staples when im hunting the cella holes.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the dues is being overloaded hence him hitting it when he went farther away. I would like to see what his settings are and not what he says they are.
Machine is overloading on all the silver, when he drops the GB he is masking some of the signal so it's not as strong as before hence now coming through.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V would know, however you can tell the machine to notch out certain things, including silver coins.

Late 2017, I think it was, I found a jar of silver coins at a woods line at my Civil War site in PA, that's when we found out we had a Civil War site, and there were halves and dollars in it, plus others.

The Deus blew the earphones off my head and they landed in another county. (not really, but you get the idea.)

I suggest a manipulated video, where they notched out the high tones. It's EASY to manipulate video. SOOOOO easy. I did a full length motion picture once where a young couple is below decks on an early 19th century sailing ship and the blasted thing hits a sandbar and sinks, and they have to escape, and the ship is rocking, water is spraying everywhere, things are falling over, the ship lurches as well as the people, there are masts falling and cracking, the captain (pastor of our church) is out on the deck yelling "abandon ship" as the water sprays him, the ocean is roiling, it's after dark...and its all BS. The film was shot in my BASEMENT and on my deck, with some manipulated footage of the ocean thrown in for effect. The "ship" is sitting on an antique desk I own as I type this. 18" long. Shots at the ocean had a big highway and bridge right behind the camera!~ Smoke and mirrors, baby, smoke and mirrors.

BTW I have a few copies left, Amazon is sold out, if you want one free PM me. I only have a few.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, Smokey, its possible to do that, but why? To what end? It accomplishes nothing. I don't know why people think its worth wasting everyone's time with these types of videos, anway (faked or not). I know controversy sells, but it really can't be because it generates enough views to monetize them. I doubt this is faked because of the tones that are heard, but more along the lines of overdriving the coil as Austin speculates. Still who knows what the settings are because he keeps it on the GB adjust screen the whole time. But I am again wasting additional time with yet a third response. So I'm done with it...

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you can never tell the motive and can't see how the machine was set up, and is that steel rebar under the flooring? Nobody knows. Moving on...

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In addition to the Deus I have a Minelab 705. It does the same thing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Txop, have you tried taking a big hunk of silver, putting it in the ground, watering it a bit, and seeing if the machine finds it?

When I find silver I always get a high tone, and have found silvers 10" down with the Deus. I seldom dig a silver because I'm hunting very old sites that either didn't have any or has been hit before. That pound of silver in the broken jar I found did not overload the machine. I'm not even sure that's possible. If a pound won't do it, then what would? Anyway, give it a shot.

bado1

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, perhaps. Informative, no. This is why I have given up on air test, Monte Nail Board test, and other non-representative of reality type detector video demonstrations. They just don't bring anything useful to the table and are typically devoid of context or proper real world setup, and the contrived target test setups (Monte's silver stack - really?!) are just do not reflect anything the actual detectorist would come across in the real world, and if it did, it would probably be a one off, so who cares.

He basically lost me when he started stacking targets in stapled cardboard coin holders. Uh, yeah, the staples DO matter. Hey, why not start off with whatever the Deus is telling you the ground balance reading SHOULD be in your basement concrete slab (rolls eyes) instead of randomly adjusting from the default? The whole thing is just ridiculous and I wish I had that 5 minutes of my life back.

I am not a big fan of videos that are not documenting real world detecting situations or at least a properly set up test garden.

Anyway, thanks for that, I guess...

+1. Well said.
I don't click on nail board , etc, etc, contrived tests anymore. Total waste of time.

Dean

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX 3030, E-Trac, Whites V3i, DFX, Fisher CoinStrike, Garrett AT-Pro, Explorer XS, Garrett GTI-2500 Pro, Fisher F2, and Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3 (Hip mount), Fisher CZ7a-Pro
I post this on another forum asking why it acts this way and I tried the test. I wanted to see if the video had iron in the concrete floor that affected the test. I had the same result with the silver on a cardboard box (no staples) away from ground and metal. I did get it to sound off at the tip of the coil. It's interesting you can remove coins and the detector starts "seeing" the coins.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, interesting but not practically useful, as a hoard of silver up in the air is just not realistic. Once the detector loses its ground reference due to being away from the ground plane, then a lot of strange behavior can result. The stacked silver is probably important too because you are effectively creating a high conductive cylinder which affects the magnetic field lines of force that form part of the transformer circuit comprised of the transmit and receive coil windings and the silver "cylinder" as the core of the transformer. The magnetic field induced in the silver "cylinder" probably becomes saturated and nulls out creating overload blanking as the signal is processed. If you took the same amount of silver and spread it out in a more realistic hoard jumble, then the reduction in saturation and magnetic field strength might make it detectable again. Also, it might be detectable if you lowered sensitivity which is effectively what the original video guy was doing when he was adjusting the ground balance setting. In any event, enjoy the experiments. I plan on going detecting.

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab CTX 3030, E-Trac, Whites V3i, DFX, Fisher CoinStrike, Garrett AT-Pro, Explorer XS, Garrett GTI-2500 Pro, Fisher F2, and Whites Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3 (Hip mount), Fisher CZ7a-Pro
I plan on detecting as well, but a factory program default should be good to go under normal conditions. While doing the test lowering the sensitivity did make it able to detect the coins, and the other programs with the same 90 GB were detectable. I would hate to pass by silver coins is maybe a coin wrapper or stack and find it strange it works on other detectors. The Equinox had the same problem from what I have seen until ML did the last update and corrected the problem, as to the ground reference I can see it affecting some but not enough to null the detector. The detector in my honest opinion should see the silver of any size because if it were not coins and a silver ingot the result would be the same.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know when you find the that coin wrapper full of silver coins or ingot on the surface. The confluence of conditions - large hoard, close to or on the surface, perfectly aligned - just stacks up unlikely event upon unlikely event such that the whole chance of such a thing happening becomes infinitesimally small.

Regarding the Equinox, focusing as they did on increasing detectability on this one off silver hoard situation, just created a lot more iron falsing from what I can tell. I prefer the original firmware. Note also, that the silver hoard blanking issue was easily remedied simply by going to another detecting mode (e.g., shifting from Park 1 to Park 2 or Field 2).

Believe me, if you are out somewhere in the woods and walk up on such a situation, you will 99% probability hear it. And if you don't on the first pass, that is what gridding is for and using different settings (such as changing up the frequency or sifting at lower sensitivity).

Smokey has found a at least one if not more silver coin caches with the Deus, not a problem.

Last edited:

wvrick

Sep 27, 2010
Salt Rock,WV
Detector(s) used
Not a problem, I'll let you know but it wouldn't be running the "Fast" program. Then again maybe someone will explain what's going on with it or better yet fix it in the next update. It was a problem with other detectors from time to time and got corrected by the manufactures so I'm sure it will with the Deus as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread