A disappointing little surprise for a new Dēus owner

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't update your Dēus using a Mac; you have to be running Windows. :BangHead:

I made the switch from PC to Mac several years ago, after using Windows machines since the mid-'90s. My only regret is that I didn't do it years earlier. I read that recent estimates say more than 10% (some estimate 15%) of computer folks are now using Macs and Windows is very slowly losing its market share.

Come on XP... you're inconveniencing at least 10% of your customers!

Happy hunting,
Bob

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given that 90% of computer users are running windows, I am sure you can find someone who can update it for you. The updates are not very frequent, so if you just got a Deus and it is fully updated, you should be good to go for another year or so. Given that Minelab sued XP for patent infringement related to the computer update feature, I am not surprised they are not bothering to develop a Mac version. But, yeah, it is kind of annoying.

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
A good reason Apple has but 10-15% market share.. too quirky but they do work nicely with an iPhone.

gravityboy

Jul 18, 2018
Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900Di
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Fors CoRe
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Simplex+
XP Deus
Minelab NOX 600
Minelab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't update your Dēus using a Mac; you have to be running Windows. :BangHead:

I made the switch from PC to Mac several years ago, after using Windows machines since the mid-'90s. My only regret is that I didn't do it years earlier. I read that recent estimates say more than 10% (some estimate 15%) of computer folks are now using Macs and Windows is very slowly losing its market share.

Come on XP... you're inconveniencing at least 10% of your customers!

Happy hunting,
Bob

Probably any Deus dealer and I'd bet any local Deus owners would gladly update for you. Heck, I bet a local Deus owner from this forum will pop up and come over with a laptop! We're that kind of crowd I'm finding... :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I getcha. On another note, I'm not all that sure the update has helped me find more stuff.

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about a android phone? Thought there was a way.

migrider56

Mar 1, 2013
Copperas Cove, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX3030,Minelab xterra 705, Excalibur 1000, Excalibur ii 1000, Garrett GTI 2000, Garrett Ace 250, Whites DFX, V3I, Mx sport
You can run widows 10 on a Mac pc by install it as dual boot system.

upstatedetector

Jul 21, 2009
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F5
I'm all Mac now as well, even at work. Never say never but I can't imagine going back to Windows at this point. It used to be that compatibility with their favorite programs was one of the main reasons people were scared by Mac. Now, the Microsoft programs (word, excel) are available on Mac and a lot of programs are going cloud based anyways. Most of your big software developers are developing for linux/Mac/Windows now. I find the OS on Mac to be more of a streamlined experience, much less prone to frustrating and nagging issues and more open to people who use a lot of keyboard shortcuts and programs built for efficiency (Hazel, Keyboard Maestro just to name 2 off the top of my head). The biggest knock on Mac is the price. You can get a similarly spec'd Windows computer for less (sometimes MUCH less) than the Mac equivalent. Most Macs are not as easily upgradeable either. Your average Mac machine is also not built for gaming, if that is your thing and yes there are industries (metal detecting and the scanner radio hobby to name 2) that don't do the kind of volume to warrant them developing on Mac. These are just my opinions and this is a metal detecting forum so no need to start a computer argument. :)

All that said, I have run parallels on Mac in the past but haven't tried updating the Deus on Mac. I have never had an issue finding somewhere to update it on a Windows machine. I have always found the update process to be very quick and very painless. I would imagine your machine is running 5.2 already. 5.21 just came out and to my knowledge, was just to fix a headphone issue (which my machine had) so you might see no need to update right now.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same regret with PC versus Mac and some things that I do for work and pleasure.

I didn't realize until after I bought my CTX that I couldn't update or use any of the GPS features that were sold to me, because they weren't compatible with Mac. Of course Minelab has forgotten they have the CTX, and haven't done any software updates?? Perfection maybe........I don't think so!

No problem then I will get a Deus and use that for some of my more trickier spots, but let me do this update first..............WHAT?? I can't use a Mac!!

Screw this metal detecting thing, I'm going to use this fancy new program I bought for doing some work calculation.........Oh you've got to be kidding me..........it's not available for Mac either!!

So I can't work or play without a PC..........well this sucks.

Currently I have a TN page open and BestBuy page open. Between joys of reading this forum, and tears of having to buy a PC I can totally relate to your thread. :BangHead:

As a side note to the Minelab suing Deus thing............if Deus were smart they would make their updates Mac compatible since Minelab hasn't, then they can sue them when the time comes! :laughing7:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab is MAC compatible with the Equinox. I also switched years ago to MAC after my sisters finally convinced me to try one. I hated it at first, now will likely never go back. I was quite pleased when I did my Equinox online update quickly and easily on my IMac. No problem updating my Garmin GPS with Mac either. Smokey is also correct, updates don't likely help anyone find more or better stuff. Now if there was an update that got your coil over better targets, that would be something!

Last edited:
OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was quite pleased when I did my Equinox online update quickly and easily on my IMac. No problem updating my Garmin GPS with Mac either. Smokey is also correct, updates don't likely help anyone find more or better stuff.

Then why did you update your Equinox and you Garmin? Then why not use a meal detector designed in 1970?

Technology improves. Being able to update tech equipment is a big deal. It delays obsolescence and adds value. And being able to update the Deus is an advertised feature; something that influences a consumer's purchasing decision. Finding out I can't do it with my choice of computer brand is a bit of a letdown. I know I can easily find someone with a Windows machine to help me get it updated but that's certainly not as convenient as doing it myself at my leisure. Heck... I've had my Deus for three days and there's already a new update (v5.21) that fixes a bug involving battery discharge in the headphones.

I'm very happy this impressive metal detector has the software update feature. I just wish it was as convenient to take advantage of as I expected it to be. :icon_thumright:

Good hunting,
Bob

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a cheap Walmart computer. But not likely you will use it more than a few times. Probably can find an old used one for next to nothing.

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring it over, I will update it on my windows laptop for you if your not too far. I'm in Statesville, NC =)

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desmo, I had a Diana Desmo brand new back in the day, a 350 for a while too. Man, you're a little uppity, no? the Garmin update simply updates road data, it doen't make me drive any better. The Nox update was to fix factory faults in the first machines made. That also will not as Smokey says, help me find more or better stuff. You talk about using a 1970s machine, well that's funny because I bought my first machine in 1970. Beep and dig BFO. Guess what? I found lots more and better stuff with that machine in ten years or more of use than with all the fancy newest machines I've owned put together. The reason is that for years I was the first one around with a detector, permission was easy to get, and I live in a very old very historical area. Now so many areas have been hit so hard there isn't anywhere near as much good stuff left in the ground. Kind of like fishing, "you should have been here yesterday". I was thinking Deus for a while but I did my research and found it wasn't MAC compatible. I did not buy a Deus. You can likely use a PC at your library, not being Mac compatible is not the end of the world to be able to use a top notch machine like you now have.

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Desmo, I had a Diana Desmo brand new back in the day, a 350 for a while too. Man, you're a little uppity, no? the Garmin update simply updates road data, it doen't make me drive any better. The Nox update was to fix factory faults in the first machines made. That also will not as Smokey says, help me find more or better stuff. You talk about using a 1970s machine, well that's funny because I bought my first machine in 1970. Beep and dig BFO. Guess what? I found lots more and better stuff with that machine in ten years or more of use than with all the fancy newest machines I've owned put together. The reason is that for years I was the first one around with a detector, permission was easy to get, and I live in a very old very historical area. Now so many areas have been hit so hard there isn't anywhere near as much good stuff left in the ground. Kind of like fishing, "you should have been here yesterday". I was thinking Deus for a while but I did my research and found it wasn't MAC compatible. I did not buy a Deus. You can likely use a PC at your library, not being Mac compatible is not the end of the world to be able to use a top notch machine like you now have.

Not too many Ducati singles left around... I don't know if I've ever seen one outside of a collection/museum.

I didn't mean to be uppity. There I was, bumming about not being able to update my Deus when you come along telling me you just updated your Equinox and Garmin, and that updating my Deus wasn't going to help me find more or better stuff anyway. Throwing salt on my wounds is what I thought you were doing... :icon_scratch: (And that reminds me, I need to update my Garmin, too. At least I can get that done with my MacBook.) Please accept my apologies.

I got my first machine a little after you did, in 1972 I think. I somehow managed to put it together myself from a kit despite my horrible teenage soldering skills.

Thanks for the tip on the library... I hadn't thought of that. Luckly, like most Mac owners, most of my friends and neighbors have PCs. :laughing7:

Good hunting,
Bob

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that anybody cares.........well perhaps the CTX owner and the Deus owners, but my new PC laptop just arrived a few minutes ago. :icon_thumright:

It sure isn't going to look right sitting next to my Mac, but at least I can update my detectors now and........and........ummmmm..........play solitaire?? :laughing7: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread