Bharping has me curious about the 3 Tone set up, anybody else like it?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe that he has been doing quite well at using his 3 tone program in some rather trashy places. I have been trying to weigh the pros and cons of this setup. Tone wise, it would seem that you would have a harder time discerning what you are digging. I know that it has to be more informative than a two tone program but there has to be some overlapping. I say this and I know that there is overlapping anyways just due to various alloy combinations. Don't know if this is what I really want to try at this point but still curious. I am not fluid in deus programming, my brain retention is not what it once was and so it takes a while for new info to sink in. So I tend to keep everything pretty simple and very little attempts at setting tone breaks etc. so I have been using full tones. What I need to do is to put my remote in my pocket and just tone hunt but still curious about the three tone and other's success with it. thanks for any input

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer using full tones in (modern) trashy areas. I've found that non coin, mixed metal targets, will produce a fluctuating tonal response thanks to full tones, whereas coin tones will remain fixed. I hunted a thankless stretch of trash yesterday for about 45 minutes and found coins that we walked over using a modified version of Deus Fast. I used 0 discrimination, set iron volume to zero, and switched from 3 tones to full tones. At the end of the day this resulted in creating a high powered sifter program... I dug every lifted tone, and walked away with several missed coins including a buffalo nickel / wheat penny pocket spill.

I know that vferrari and some of the other very experienced users on the forum use pitch in iron infested sites and have done extremely well. I don't hunt a lot of iron infested relic sites, so for me its full tones as I really find it to be useful for hunting sites contaminated with modern trash. Bottle caps are always a real pleasure to deal with, that's why I have a 4 kHz "junk check" program located in between my two most frequently used programs.

I'm curious as to what others think, at the end of the day it comes down to where you're hunting, what you're looking for, and personal preference.

Mike

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Brain is not smart enough for full tones. My head spins, i use three with Iron -202 up to 8, Mid -518 up to 76, 710 up.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I usually dig several cans, I am usually too tired to think about raising my coil up higher but even then I have been fooled. I have a site that is either very trashy or very few signals with the potential of WWII finds everywhere, so in some places I dig almost every signal that is at all repeatable. The trashy area, been slowly weeding it out. I am kind of limited on the number of holes I can dig right now, more so than in the past so about 30-40 is it. my knee and back really give me fits. Aspercreme works fairly well but the effect doesn't last long enough any more. dug some small brass, foil, an ox shoe, 2 pennies, pull tabs and two cans yesterday in a very wet area. The ox shoe sounded really good and I'm okay with digging it, I sort of double checked it with the pitch program but it still sounded non ferrous. it's pretty bad when some guy asks you if you are ok. I told him that this was as okay as it gets for me LOL.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find pitch more informative than full tones or even multi tones because you can really get a feel for target footprint. I have all but abandoned full tones for a couple of reasons (because I like to both use disc and hear iron which you cannot do in full tones and because Deus TID tends not to be very stable which makes full tones too busy than say 50 tones on the Equinox). I feel 3, 4, or 5 tones to be sufficient for tone ID if I am not using pitch. I kind of prefer 5 tones, but could see myself living soley with 3 tones as an alternative to 5 tones when I am not using pitch.

Last edited:

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried pitch last weekend at a colonial site that we hit very hard last fall. Although I didn’t find any keepers, pitch really does a good job of giving the user a sense of target size and depth. I also found it to be very easy to identify ferrous vs non ferrous targets using pitch. I like full tones, I also like 5 tones, but at the end of the day I haven’t owned the machine long enough to pick my favorite. What I do know however, is that I am not doing anything “dangerous” that would cause me to miss a good target. I’m in the experiment and optimize phase of my knowledge of this machine, I’m having fun, and have found some really neat stuff! Now if I could only get out more than once a week...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions