What Reactivity setting are you guys using and why?

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been switching off between 2 for clean sites and 2.5 for busy sites. My test bed has some silver dimes at 8, 10 inches. Recovery 2 will hit the 8 not 2.5.. tested a dime at 10 inches today and it hit it at recovery 1. Recovery 0 smacked the dime at 10 inches. Not ideal for my iron cellas but was a cool test.

Take care Mike

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I start at reactivity 2 with silencer set at -1. I like the added depth that reactivity 2 offers and prefer the “longer” tones associated with a lower reactivity setting. If there’s a lot of trash, then I’ll bump reactivity up to 2.5 (silencer -1) and lastly reactivity 3 if need be. I can increase sensitivity on the X35 coil to mitigate against depth loss if using a higher reactivity setting, but generally speaking, I prefer using reactivity set at 2. Having just stated my preference for reactivity 2; just last night I cranked reactivity up to 3 and found a wheat penny / buffalo nickel pocket spill on a trash site that I’ve worked using reactivity 2.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oops, I forgot to mention frequency... Don’t forget the relationship between frequency and conductivity. I primarily coin shoot in 12 kHz, but last night switched to 18 kHz which resulted in mid conductors (nickels) hitting hard at depth.

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only had the Deus out for 25 hours or so. Then it snowed AGAIN. About 6 inches.

I prefer stayingg at reactivity 2. In trashy areas, I'll skip 2.5 and go to 3. I've been surprised at the depth I've been able to get at the 3 reactivity, in a good way. And the separation between targets on 3 is worth it for targets 1-4 inches into the soil.

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to increase the audio response with reactivity 2.5 and 3. You will be surprised by how much depth you can get with quick reactivity.

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to increase the audio response with reactivity 2.5 and 3. You will be surprised by how much depth you can get with quick reactivity.

I use 6 all the time. In Gary's videos he likes to say it does not effect depth which i agree with if it was a clean site. It drastically impacts depth in places i hunt because i cannot hear the weak signals without bumping it up. Always liked response 5 & 6.

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I start at reactivity 2 with silencer set at -1. I like the added depth that reactivity 2 offers and prefer the “longer” tones associated with a lower reactivity setting. If there’s a lot of trash, then I’ll bump reactivity up to 2.5 (silencer -1) and lastly reactivity 3 if need be. I can increase sensitivity on the X35 coil to mitigate against depth loss if using a higher reactivity setting, but generally speaking, I prefer using reactivity set at 2. Having just stated my preference for reactivity 2; just last night I cranked reactivity up to 3 and found a wheat penny / buffalo nickel pocket spill on a trash site that I’ve worked using reactivity 2.

Yup found a musket ball on 2.5 that sounded like crap on 2.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup found a musket ball on 2.5 that sounded like crap on 2.

Don't forget that reactivity and silencer settings are coupled. Switching to a reactivity of 2.5 automatically switches silencer to -1 whereas switching to a reactivity of 2 automatically switches silencer to 2. You must manually set silencer to -1. The musket ball might not have sounded good because of the silencer setting that you were using.

Mike

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget that reactivity and silencer settings are coupled. Switching to a reactivity of 2.5 automatically switches silencer to -1 whereas switching to a reactivity of 2 automatically switches silencer to 2. You must manually set silencer to -1. The musket ball might not have sounded good because of the silencer setting that you were using.

Mike

Yea i always make the switch. Was using silencer 1 with reactivity 2.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Bottom line is I use them all except R=5. I probably use R=1 the most, sometimes even use R=0 when on clean ground. You get max depth and both are plenty fast enough in mild soil at sites with light amounts of iron and little trash. But as the iron gets thicker, I will up the Reactivity. In the thick patch of iron at the rims of the cellar hole sites, I will use R=2, R=3 and even R=4 at all my cellar hole sites at least once before I am satisfied.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the super thick iron I max my reactivity and then when I feel I dug all the good targets in a small area I switch to 2.5 and see if I can hit anything a wee bit deeper.

In normal use I keep it at 2.5.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.5 the targets seem clipped to me. Can't hear as much info.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I should have stated I am no expert on this at all. Was just reading on the XP website that higher levels of reactivity are good for detecting small targets. Also said air tests are irrelevant, so that sinks my "theory". In other words, bury a test target to see how it responds to different levels of reactivity. Somebody said a wadded up gum wrapper buried at five or six inches makes a good test target for jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread