Silencer Testing

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read allot in the forum and watched plenty of videos on the silencer settings but actually did some tests while hunting over the weekend. A couple of good targets that sounded like crap on silencer 1 but sounded great on -1. One was a buckle and the other a musket ball. Left it on -1 for the rest of the hunt and found many i would have walked over with a setting of 1... needless to say i dug way more iron that day than normal. Kinda rough and will have to play with it depending on the site. Have to go back to old sites now and recheck with -1. Anyone notice this as well?

Thanks

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That's the best kind of testing Iffy. I do that a lot over targets but haven't really played with Silencer. I set it at -1. Just curious, did the buckle have an iron tongue?

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure did. Prob why silencer 1 was blocking most of it out. Musket ball was also close to some iron nails.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
interesting for sure, it is amazing as to how a small adjustment can make such a difference. I think that out of ignorance, many new to the deus can customize it into a lesser machine if not careful. great observation

OP
OP
Iffy Signals

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting for sure, it is amazing as to how a small adjustment can make such a difference. I think that out of ignorance, many new to the deus can customize it into a lesser machine if not careful. great observation

I agree i was hunting at a level 1 for less iron. The whole time i was masking allot of treasure. At least my summer weekends will be busy hitting all the spots i hunted at level 1.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use silencer "on" settings for iron/bottlecap check type programs. Silencer is always off (-1) on my general search or thick iron programs for the very reasons you have cited, broken target signals and masking in the presence of iron. I think XP perhaps recognized the down side of silencer when working in thick iron situations where high reactivity settings are needed as starting with ver 5.X software, they turned offsilencer by default for reactivity settings 2.5 and higher. Now you know why that musket ball sounded like crap at 2 and great at 2.5 per your other thread.

Last edited:

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only use silencer "on" settings for iron/bottlecap check type programs. Silencer is always off (-1) on my general search or thick iron programs for the very reasons you have cited, broken target signals and masking in the presence of iron. I think XP perhaps recognized the down side of silencer when working in thick iron situations where high reactivity settings are needed as starting with ver 5.X software, they turned of silencer by default for reactivity settings 2.5 and higher. Now you know why that musket ball sounded like crap at 2 and great at 2.5 per your other thread.

Quick question vferrari; do you have a silencer setting that you feel works best for iron check?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely use it, frankly, so haven't tried to optimize it, but 2 or 3 should be sufficient.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread