Deus DEEP as a base program?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what the pros and cons are to using the DEEP program as a base compared to others. I guess I should say I am trying to build a jewelry program. Ground around here mostly only a few bars on the mineralization graph.

And one more question: how much depth loss for 25KHz on gold rings/jewelry? My air tests (9" X35 coil) do not show much loss if any. But I've read there is a big loss in depth compared to the lower frequencies. Maybe this is only for high conductors or the LF coils or possibly 11"?

Thanks.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deep program uses signal processing filters from version 2 of Deus software. It tends to be a hotter filter in that it can enhance the audio of deep targets but at the expense of more noise and chatter. XP brought back the version 2 filters in the form of the Deep program starting with Ver 4 software based on the requests of Deus users who preferred the Version 2 filter despite the noise/chatter to the more stable/quiet Vers 3.X filters that tended to suppress deep target signals. I use Deep as a base program combined with a lower coil frequencies to create a deep search program for high conductors.

Lower frequencies tend to penetrate further into the ground than higher frequencies which tend to get scattered easier by soil and rocks (that is just physics). Also, lower frequencies tend to excite high conductors like silver better than high frequencies, that is also a just another electromagnetic physics principle. On the other hand, high frequencies tend to excite mid conductors (like gold, aluminum, brass, and lead) and small targets better (again physics) and also tend to provide better target depth in highly mineralized ground. So if you have gold at the limit of detectable depth for a high frequency signal, it will tend to give off a stronger signal with the high coil frequency vs. the low coil frequency, even though the low coil frequency signal may penetrate deeper. That is why high conductive targets tend to be detected deeper than mid-conductive jewelry and relics of approximately the same mass. Higher metal mass tends to give stronger signals and higher VDI's, regardless of the type of metal, that is why you can get big iron falsing at high VDI's. It is more complicated than than in reality as these are all just generalizations. There are just too many variables that can affect these general frequency dependent target responses so it is impossible to say with certainty how much more depth you can get with lower frequencies vs. higher frequencies and how much better higher frequencies will excite gold jewelry than lower frequencies. You really have to experiment to see what works best. The above is true for any detector in general and is not limited to Deus or certain types of Deus coils.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V, I almost understood this. I run most times at 74k and don't really think I've missed much. I think you set my hair on fire! I just can't do the math on these things.:laughing7:

But I do own a shovel!

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just dive in and see how deep. My yard is not the best test ground with phone lines about ten feet away. But still trying to do some testing with the various settings. My progress is slow most of the time. I haven't been hitting many deep targets lately and starting to look for answers like frequency shift. Not really seeing a big difference in Reactivity, at least the lower settings. A quicker sweep speed seems to make up for some of it. Kinda get gold crazy and don't think enough when hunting--just full steam ahead. A lot of wasted time there.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lower frequencies tend to penetrate further into the ground than higher frequencies

I think of it like that kid at the stoplight next to me with the thumping bass speakers in his trunk. Or hearing just the bass and drums from a distant rock concert. The high and mid-frequencies fade out pretty quickly with distance, but the base just keeps on a'going.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I can't blame it all on the settings i use, gotta be my lack of listening for the weak signals, too. I worked withe the DEEP program a little bit but was getting a lot of unstable VDI numbers and foil. I just read for beginners to stay away from that program for a while.

Iron Buzz, I get your analogy. Low frequencies penetrate better. I guess I haven't given it enough of a chance yet. Also been working in very trashy areas which probably causes some blockage.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what the pros and cons are to using the DEEP program as a base compared to others. I guess I should say I am trying to build a jewelry program. Ground around here mostly only a few bars on the mineralization graph.

And one more question: how much depth loss for 25KHz on gold rings/jewelry? My air tests (9" X35 coil) do not show much loss if any. But I've read there is a big loss in depth compared to the lower frequencies. Maybe this is only for high conductors or the LF coils or possibly 11"?

Thanks.

I was using the deep as a general search program for a bit and noticed allot of noise on some sites. Used my same setting on the fast program and like it allot better. Now i have the same settings for both fast and deep next to each other and will switch around depending on the site. Fast with 4.0 filters is deff more stable in the iron but lacks a little of the punch that the deep has.

Jeff in Pa

Feb 26, 2005
Pa
Detector(s) used
I have owned/own the Anfibio Multi, CTX, Etrac, Equinox, SE Pro, EX II, XS, Soveriegn Elite, Garrett Ace 250 and the Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deep program uses signal processing filters from version 2 of Deus software. It tends to be a hotter filter in that it can enhance the audio of deep targets but at the expense of more noise and chatter. XP brought back the version 2 filters in the form of the Deep program starting with Ver 4 software based on the requests of Deus users who preferred the Version 2 filter despite the noise/chatter to the more stable/quiet Vers 3.X filters that tended to suppress deep target signals. I use Deep as a base program combined with a lower coil frequencies to create a deep search program for high conductors.

Lower frequencies tend to penetrate further into the ground than higher frequencies which tend to get scattered easier by soil and rocks (that is just physics). Also, lower frequencies tend to excite high conductors like silver better than high frequencies, that is also a just another electromagnetic physics principle. On the other hand, high frequencies tend to excite mid conductors (like gold, aluminum, brass, and lead) and small targets better (again physics) and also tend to provide better target depth in highly mineralized ground. So if you have gold at the limit of detectable depth for a high frequency signal, it will tend to give off a stronger signal with the high coil frequency vs. the low coil frequency, even though the low coil frequency signal may penetrate deeper. That is why high conductive targets tend to be detected deeper than mid-conductive jewelry and relics of approximately the same mass. Higher metal mass tends to give stronger signals and higher VDI's, regardless of the type of metal, that is why you can get big iron falsing at high VDI's. It is more complicated than than in reality as these are all just generalizations. There are just too many variables that can affect these general frequency dependent target responses so it is impossible to say with certainty how much more depth you can get with lower frequencies vs. higher frequencies and how much better higher frequencies will excite gold jewelry than lower frequencies. You really have to experiment to see what works best. The above is true for any detector in general and is not limited to Deus or certain types of Deus coils.

Truly an Amazing description that is easy to understand!!

Thank you!!

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My man

Truly an Amazing description that is easy to understand!!

Thank you!!

VF has a whole book written on the Deus, when someone asks a good question he just dives into the unreleased chapters of "Secrets of the XP Deus" and pulls out the fancy scientific answer with a little dash of laymen's terms thrown in for us slower folks :notworthy::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread