HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been using a custom program provided by a member and have left my ground balance at 90 for every site I've hunted. My question is should I manual ground balance at every site I hunt? I have had success just leaving it at 90 but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake by not balancing to the specific ground I'm hunting. One of my sites I tested out manual(pumping) and it was in the 70's. At my house it's around 84. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance and HH!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I always manual ground balance. My soil is mild mineralization here. I also have the HF coil but have better results with the LF 9" ( the black coil). Just my opinion.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ideally you should match gb to +/- 3 points of the actual ground reading. Deus auto tracking GB is so good though. I generally just leave it in tracking then I don't have to worry about it. No downside to tracking that I have observed.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, I'm with V. I always use the tracking balance, even at the beach.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I also use tracking at times in different terrains. I have also set gb at 80 to 82 and experienced good results.

OP
OP
HIGHSTRUNG

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the feedback.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ideally you should match gb to +/- 3 points of the actual ground reading. Deus auto tracking GB is so good though. I generally just leave it in tracking then I don't have to worry about it. No downside to tracking that I have observed.

Hugh,

Is the machine set up to automatically track or do you have to set it up manually and if so where do you locate it. thanks in advance...

"D"

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep mine in tracking as well, at one site the ground balance changes a lot and I tend to forget about it

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hugh,

Is the machine set up to automatically track or do you have to set it up manually and if so where do you locate it. thanks in advance...

"D"

Tracking is not set on by default, select GB and then select tracking. There are some additional tracking sensitivity controls but I recommend just leaving them at the default. If you then back out and then re-save whatever custom program you are in, then tracking will be the default for that custom program. You can repeat that process for all your custom programs if you desire to. HTH.

OP
OP
HIGHSTRUNG

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I tested it again at my house today and noticed something new. Pumping balanced at 82 and went over my test garden. I have wooden stakes to mark my targets and while swinging accidentally bumped one of them with the HF coil. I got some chatter when this happened. So bumped it again and the same thing. Decided to run the GB back up to 90 and repeated the bump test and no chatter. Also didn't seem to make any difference in tone/VDI on any of my targets on 82 vs 90. I'm fairly new to this machine and always pump balance my Equinox. Most of my soil on the Nox comes in low around the 20's. What would be the lowest GB numbers you would want to see on the Deus? I've watched a few videos on YT and most folks seem to say leave it on the factory 90 pre set. Or in other words if I go to a new site and use the pumping method and I get 60's or 70's is that too low?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got chatter (actually, coil bump sensitivity) because you were basically increasing detector sensitivity by lowering the reference ground balance setting. That is just a detector/coil interaction nuisance and not something that should be avoided if your ground balance does need to be set down there for proper balance. Raising it up again effectively lowered sensitivity to coil bumps and may have reduced overall target sensitivity. Now it may not have been enough to cause any of your test garden targets to disappear, but how many of them are at a depth that is at the edge of detectability for Deus? I would expect Deus ground balance readings not be much lower than the mid-70's for non-beach soil conditions. If the YT videos you are referring to are UK-based (e.g., Gary's videos) then 90 makes sense as UK soil conditions are pretty constant and hover around the default 90 setting. That is not the case in the US where you can get ground phase readings from the 70's up to the 90's. Therefore, like I said previously, either manually set your GB to match the sensed ground phase reading on the Deus or put it in tracking and let the Deus do all the work.

BTW the ground phase reference readings are not comparable between detector models and in fact on Equinox, you can't even compare the readings between modes as the different frequency profiles between modes on Equinox will give you different ground phase readings on the same patch of ground. That is why each mode on Equinox needs to be noise canceled and ground balanced separately. Also, you can get coil bump sensitivity to happen on the Equinox by manually setting GB to high numbers. Go figure. HTH.

OP
OP
HIGHSTRUNG

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info V. I'm going to give tracking a go at my next outing.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
V, when you GB using the pumping method, do you hold the GB button or just push and release it?

Thanks.
geo

OP
OP
HIGHSTRUNG

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
V, when you GB using the pumping method, do you hold the GB button or just push and release it?

Thanks.
geo
In the GB mode you go to pumping and press start. Then it will prompt you to start pumping.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never pump GB on Deus. Half the time on Deus it fails so it is a pain and I don't waste my time with it. Since Deus always displays the Ground Phase reading, I just manually adust it to match (but mostly just use tracking, as I said before).

Note that if you are using Gold Field Mode - then you "grab" ground phase by holding down the pinpoint button and pump. That methos worjs oretty reliably. You can also use tracking in Gold Field mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HIGHSTRUNG

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never pump GB on Deus. Half the time on Deus it fails so it is a pain and I don't waste my time with it. Since Deus always displays the Ground Phase reading, I just manually adust it to match (but mostly just use tracking, as I said before).

Note that if you are using Gold Field Mode - then you "grab" ground phase by holding down the pinpoint button and pump. That methos worjs oretty reliably. You can also use tracking in Gold Field mode.
So do you just go in GB and highlight tracking then back out? I didn't see where you could press select on it. I did try expert but decided to back out without making any changes.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah just select tracking and back out.

Ghost-uk

Greenie
Jul 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you search in very high mineralised sites..check the meter on the right hand side...there is no point in ground balancing,
Every soil in the world has its own ā€˜soundsā€™, these sounds will be picked up be a metal detector ......you donā€™t want to hear any of these, they will effect the stability of the deus and you wonā€™t be able to run it at itā€™s optimal level.
Leave go alone, donā€™t touch it, forget itā€™s even there .

Try it over 20 meters, ground balance and just swing along for 20meters listening to every sound the machine makes,
Go back and set gb to manual at 90, now go,over the same 20meters and listen....
Your machine will be more stable, quieter and working better .

In the very high mineralised sites , set gb to pumping and get itā€™s reading... whatever number it comes up with ...say 51 for example..manually set your gb 5 numbers higher to 56.. ..

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you search in very high mineralised sites..check the meter on the right hand side...there is no point in ground balancing,
Every soil in the world has its own ā€˜soundsā€™, these sounds will be picked up be a metal detector ......you donā€™t want to hear any of these, they will effect the stability of the deus and you wonā€™t be able to run it at itā€™s optimal level.
Leave go alone, donā€™t touch it, forget itā€™s even there .

Try it over 20 meters, ground balance and just swing along for 20meters listening to every sound the machine makes,
Go back and set gb to manual at 90, now go,over the same 20meters and listen....
Your machine will be more stable, quieter and working better .

In the very high mineralised sites , set gb to pumping and get itā€™s reading... whatever number it comes up with ...say 51 for example..manually set your gb 5 numbers higher to 56.. ..

Good advice in the UK where the gb barely budges off 90, not so on this side of the pond.

Tracking works very well with moderate to high levels of mineralization and has no real downside. Why pump when you can use tracking or simply manually set to the displayed ground phase number. Beats getting a constant ground phase error when attempting to pump it in, which is often the case.

Be thankful for what you have in the UK - consistent mild ground.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread