Helps to have a good place to detect

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to a place today that hadn't been "coin hunted" for a while. Did manage to find a SS 925 silver heart. The coins were everywhere. I quit digging pennies, then I quit digging dimes. LOL Just too many and not enough time. Won't be able to get back there for a while.

Got a copy of Clive's book DFX Gold Methods. Kinda old 2004, but still some good info i hope will help me.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ain’t kidding! EVERY public place within 75 miles of me is TOAST! Being an “old coin” hunter it’s tough and getting tougher to find productive places with old coins. Everybody hunts them,everybody wants them. Having a site which holds what YOU would like to find should be a well kept secret,because they are getting ridiculously tough to find.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did have a record day today on the amount of trash i dug--about twelve pieces in five and a half hours.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually only about four and a half hours searching. One thing I found is sweep width affects what the VDI numbers show. I've been looking at the numbers during a narrow sweep, almost a wiggle, and the numbers are not steady. A wider sweep they stabilize much better, at least for non-aluminum (good) targets. Especially for me the ones in the nickel range have not been very steady and it was due to my coil control. Pulled almost twenty nickels and very few tabs in that range yesterday. So I continue to learn...slowly.

Page 40 in Clive's book describes this differently for iffy targets. Probably depends on the detector used, but the point is try it yourself and see how the VDI numbers respond.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you lower the reactivity setting then you can achieve more VDI stability with slower sweep speeds, especially on deeper targets. Regarding site selection, perhaps the most important thing when it comes to detecting. As far as I am concerned detector performance comes in a distant third right behind detecting experience. Just as great clubs (sophisticated detectors) do not make a mediocre or poor golfer (detectorist) great especially if he has no place to play.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
location location location and yes, location....very important thing from what I hear besides us actually digging the signals

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you lower the reactivity setting then you can achieve more VDI stability with slower sweep speeds, especially on deeper targets. Regarding site selection, perhaps the most important thing when it comes to detecting. As far as I am concerned detector performance comes in a distant third right behind detecting experience. Just as great clubs (sophisticated detectors) do not make a mediocre or poor golfer (detectorist) great especially if he has no place to play.

No doubt I've passed up a ton of targets in the nickel range that had jumpy VDI numbers. Sometimes even nickels bounce around. XY graph for sure.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It’s going to be tough finding good locations going forward. In the future maybe backyards and fields will be the only places that produce quality finds. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions