Trying to learn the GOLD FIELD program

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely overwhelming where there is a lot of trash. Most hits do not give any VDI number. Dig forever and find iron trash. I have a long ways to go on this task. But I'm starting to like it on identifying aluminum can slaw and foil. i can usually hear a broken signal. So I think I am making some progress. One of these days I might get lucky. Thought I had a ring today, but it was another fake (left one in photo). I lost count of how many fake rings I've found. Here are a couple. They always look good when they are in the ground. LOL Did find a couple medals today.

fakes.jpg medals.jpg

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds youll get it down takes alot of time for sure

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
they can looks so good! then you see the plating has come off or worse. but still cool and they do get the heart rate up a little bit

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think i am making some progress with the GOLD FIELD program. Been listening for the Zip-Zip targets. Aluminum is mostly a longer sound, but some small folded over pieces get me. And it goes deeeeeep. Tired of digging. Really wish I could use a shovel.

Nothing marked here.

nothing marked.jpg

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some real nice treasure! Your finding those has to be gold in there some where.

I've dug a lot of gold rings in the last 5 years, I swear I've yet to "call it" before digging one..That's a gold ring.

Only once have I been correct on gold, it was a gold grill...and it was right on top of the sand, in waist deep water.

I'm getting where I just go have fun and if they happen, it's a nice surprise.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I keep telling myself on every nickel and thick foil "If that had been gold I would have got it." It's gonna happen soon.

Last edited:

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Equinox 600, XP DEUS with 9, 11x13, and HF coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What settings have you been using with this program. I was fiddling around with it in my test garden and not having any luck with it both using settings available from other more experienced users and my own tinkering.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What settings have you been using with this program. I was fiddling around with it in my test garden and not having any luck with it both using settings available from other more experienced users and my own tinkering.

Frequency and reactivity setting are the most important settings in Gold Field and the answer to optimize those settings depends on the type/size of target you are trying to hit, its depth, and the soil type. Obviously, gold field is set up to find small nuggets in mineralized ground, but that is not the only use for it. If you can give me some idea of what you are trying to hit in your test garden ("not having any luck" is pretty vague), the settings you have used, I can perhaps help you tweak those settings somewhat optimally for your test targets.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not real experienced about the settings. I lower the Sensitivity to 90, sometimes run the Audio Response at 3, IAR at 3, others at preset and Ground Balance manual with the Pinpoint button. Definitely want low trash area to learn in. I use it for a while until I get tired then switch to another program. I try to use a fairly fast sweep speed so the tight Zip-Zip sound is more pronounced. I avoid targets with no ID numbers and the warbly, wavering, or broken ones. They just say to me "I don't think so." Weak signals I recheck with a coin program to see if I can get anything. If I don't then I don't dig most times. I find it's not as easy to pinpoint so I switch to another program and use the Pinpoint button to decide if i want to dig or not. A long, wide signal, usually pass it up.

Last edited:

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Frequency and reactivity setting are the most important settings in Gold Field and the answer to optimize those settings depends on the type/size of target you are trying to hit, its depth, and the soil type. Obviously, gold field is set up to find small nuggets in mineralized ground, but that is not the only use for it. If you can give me some idea of what you are trying to hit in your test garden ("not having any luck" is pretty vague), the settings you have used, I can perhaps help you tweak those settings somewhat optimally for your test targets.

Silver quarters and dimes are the targets I have been tinkering with. I have tried the IAR at 3 and 5, used all the available frequencies and TX settings, performed the recommended ground balance with this program and used both tracking and lowering the base by a couple points. My deep test garden Is over 300 yards from the nearest power source and over a hundred yards from the nearest building, EMI is nonexistent so I can crank this thing to it's limits. It will hit my 12 inch silver quarter but the signal sounds poor enough I wouldn't dig it (by poor I mean is sounds like deep iron). However the deep program with some target appropriate tweaks hits it good and clear without having to max out the settings. I am sure there is something I missed in the settings I have messed with but the detector is in my truck, it's pouring outside and the wife won't go get it for me :laughing7:.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some say don't use any IAR. I keep Tx at 2 otherwise can't hear targets as well. I don't like the way GF pinpoints but it hits deep target the other programs can't even hear. At least in my soil.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
If you are not hunting small gold nuggets in mineralized ground then the Gold Field
program is without a doubt the least useful program of the bunch.
The Basic program is recommended for beginners and would be by far the best program
for your coin/jewelry hunting.

g

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it takes a while to grow on you. I try to spend about an hour with it each time out, probably ten hours so far. It will handle moderate trash, but much more will blow your ears off. I'm getting to where I feel like I am missing something if I am not using it. I watched the DPR600 video and winged it from there. Pretty much the same program as GF.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are not hunting small gold nuggets in mineralized ground then the Gold Field
program is without a doubt the least useful program of the bunch.
The Basic program is recommended for beginners and would be by far the best program
for your coin/jewelry hunting.

g

Well I have to disagree with this statement in general because I have used it a lot successfully and not for prospecting. Nevertheless, I agree it is not something you really want to start out with when learning the Deus.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver quarters and dimes are the targets I have been tinkering with. I have tried the IAR at 3 and 5, used all the available frequencies and TX settings, performed the recommended ground balance with this program and used both tracking and lowering the base by a couple points. My deep test garden Is over 300 yards from the nearest power source and over a hundred yards from the nearest building, EMI is nonexistent so I can crank this thing to it's limits. It will hit my 12 inch silver quarter but the signal sounds poor enough I wouldn't dig it (by poor I mean is sounds like deep iron). However the deep program with some target appropriate tweaks hits it good and clear without having to max out the settings. I am sure there is something I missed in the settings I have messed with but the detector is in my truck, it's pouring outside and the wife won't go get it for me :laughing7:.

You need to be using low operating frequencies for the high conductors, if that is not what you are using, then you will be disappointed. If your ground has mineralization, IAR will tend to make even non-ferrous target signals break up, so I would go light on that and just depend on the visual target ID. Once you have the optimal frequency dialed in (4 or 8 khz, whichever one you can get to run stable) for your high conductive targets, experiment with reactivity to see which setting provides the optimal signal. In gold field, this is something that is very hit or miss, and you really need to experiment with it.

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to be using low operating frequencies for the high conductors, if that is not what you are using, then you will be disappointed. If your ground has mineralization, IAR will tend to make even non-ferrous target signals break up, so I would go light on that and just depend on the visual target ID. Once you have the optimal frequency dialed in (4 or 8 khz, whichever one you can get to run stable) for your high conductive targets, experiment with reactivity to see which setting provides the optimal signal. In gold field, this is something that is very hit or miss, and you really need to experiment with it.

Ahh, it is probably the IAR. Everything I have watched or read on this so far has recommended a high setting on that to silence any surface iron and the spot this test garden is in is about the hottest ground I see anywhere in my area. I will try a lower IAR the next I'm out there, I didn't think that through very well given there is not a single bit of iron in that test garden.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy Sabisch programs says run IAR at "0". You need to keep an eye on the ID numbers anyway.

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Andy Sabisch programs says run IAR at "0". You need to keep an eye on the ID numbers anyway.

Thanks for that info. I tried to order the new book a while ago but all the places I checked were waiting on another batch of em and I keep forgetting to get one coming now.

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't the gold field program specifically for gold prospecting and nugget searching? I wouldn't imagine that program to be a park program. Might be wrong but that's what I've assumed.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used GF for everything BUT gold prospecting. It is a great relic program for mineralized soil and can be used for beach hunting, and coin shooting, basically anything. If you need iron discrimination, probably not your best choice...but otherwise it is a deep program and can locate some tiny targets. Just pick the right frequency for your target of interest (low frequencies for silver, higher frequencies for gold, small targets, and mid conductive relics) set reactivity consistent with trash density and swing away.

Kind of a repeat of a previous post I made earlier in the thread, but I maybe you missed it when you went through the thread...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread