WS5 Headphones - Warranty Repair?

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning, one of the clips on the plastic bracket/bezel that holds the ear pad in place on my WS5 headphones has broken off. I contacted the XP service center and they stated that the headphones would need to be sent in for repair. My unit is under warranty, and I will send the headphones in if I have to, but I'm having a little bit of difficulty understanding why they can't just send out a replacement part.

IMG_1050.jpeg

As you can see from the above picture, this should be a very straight forward fix. Has anyone else experienced this?

Mike

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar problem with the clip that holds the remote unit to the shaft breaking. They sent me the replacement clip and I was told to return the defective one or I would be charged for the part. I would call them again and ask them why.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can send them the picture so they better understand what the issue is.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you, I've already tried that and they insist that the unit gets sent in. Rules are rules I suppose, and I have a backup machine for occasions such as this.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always plug wired phones into the controller if you want to still use the Deus.

FWIW, the WS4's just offer more all around flexibility. The backphones can be replaced inexpensively and the waterproof/submersible puck is durable and can be detached and used standalone or attached to third party over the ear headsets. Point being that if something goes wrong, it is unlikely to be the puck and if you have to replace the backphines you have backup options (e.g., plug wired phones into the puck with an adapter) that allow you to still run untethered to the Deus controller. You might want to consider a pair of WS4's if your WS5's break again down the road outside the warranty period. I have not found WS5's to be very durable and when something on them breaks, you lose the entire functionality while awaiting repair.

Last edited:
OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! My other machine is an Equinox 600, so it's not like I'll be slummin' it while my WS5's are out for repair. ;-)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! My other machine is an Equinox 600, so it's not like I'll be slummin' it while my WS5's are out for repair. ;-)

True dat.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, My last warranty work took them 10 days to mail back to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread