Pinpoint and coins on edge

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Equinox 600, XP DEUS with 9, 11x13, and HF coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not. Mostly I don't use pinpoint unless weak, I use the wiggle and pull off, then come at it from 90 degrees and repeat. You still end up with the coin on the wall of the hole. I get a lot of coins that way--other machines missed it.

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I'm like signal-line and just X detect the target, but if it's a weak target I'll take the top few inches out and then pin point.
Usually this will make the pin point more accurate.
It also removes some of the masking targets, helping with the pin point.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indy,

I use the wiggle method and find it to work 90% of the time unless a coin is very deep and then it tends to be closer to the center of the coil or shaft. (I don't own a Deus yet, but you might find this holds true as well)
Find the target wiggle the coil back to you until it disappears then wiggle forward until you hear it and it should be under the front of the coil.
Of course rotating 90 degrees around the target at this point and doing the same process again should confirm. - But for most shallow 3-5" targets you should find this step no necessary

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While the 90° turn is typically the most common go to, another method is to slowly back up till the signal disappears then ease forward till it picks back up at the front and center of your coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Indy durtdigger

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Equinox 600, XP DEUS with 9, 11x13, and HF coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I figured that would be the case but it never hurts to ask when feeling out a new machine. After 2 months I am still taken aback with what is coming out of the ground and where it's coming from. I dug a Buffalo nickel on edge withing the first 20 feet of the entrance to a park I have hunted for years and who knows how many others and how many other detectors have been swung right over the thing. Just have to keep my fingers crossed that when I finally get one of those with my digging tool it isn't something heartbreaking. Thanks all.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use pinpoint button if there are two targets close together.

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do use two stage pinpoint? Pinpoint, go near but not on target, pinpiont again. That should be the best imho.

If you are not on a manicured lawn, you dont want to dig directly to the target anyway to avoid damage. Make three cuts un U form and than leverage the thing out. Check if in plug or hole..... you know, the works.

Greets

Namxat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread