Anybody use Ground Notch?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1 says he doesn't find gold either

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Says he runs it that way all the time. CTTODD I tried it in my yard and couldn't tell much difference with or without it.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some recommend it, some don't based on their test garden findings and real life experiences. My Deus tends to run pretty stable so I don't mess with the setting.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never notched, never will. The gold sends text messages to other golds in the ground to warn them of detectorists who notch.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I knew it, I just know they’re messaging each other! I’d do better using a forked witchin stick..
:laughing7:
g

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW - Ground Notch is not TID Notch. It looks like some folks are confused by this based on the responses. Ground notch is an expert GB setting that allows you to set a range over which hot rocks and other ground feature targets that have a ground phase reading significantly different than the surrounding ground will be ignored to prevent hot rock falsing. You set it based on the ground phase reading range you expect to see at the site you are searching. It has nothing to do with notching out specific TIDs like pull tabs or zincs (that is a separate traditional notch feature and setting that has nothing to do with ground notch), so no one is going to miss any gold because of it. Some folks have indicated that it might have some effect on being able to discern deep targets. Since the telltale signal that hot rocks and coke/coal at a site can often be recognized and committed to muscle memory after you have dug few, I find no need to risk a depth hit or other downside that comes from invoking yet another "hidden" filter (like silencer) in my programs, so I just don't bother with it. HTH.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I have used Ground Notch to quiet the machine a bit when in a patch of hot rocks (near certain granite ledges or areas littered with graphite). It does help. But like V indicates, I have tried it over deep good targets in real detecting situations and it will make a very weak good target signal disappear if I use the entire ground notch band. It's not the high end of the ground notch that affected the target but the low end. It's a good tool if you need it, just use it appropriately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread