First outing with the Deus

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much difference between 518 and 644 might want to bump it up some more. But whatever you are comfortable with.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I understand correctly the device discriminate every frequency that bounce at 120hz which is from 0 to 6.8 and from 96 and up correct?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not discriminating at 96 and up, merely giving you a low tone (presumably so those targets will sound like iron - for whatever reason - iron wraparound?). I can't hazard a guess.

I would really stick with the basics until you really know why people are setting their machines up this way. Why do you want a low tone 96 and up? Do you have ID norm set to on? What coil and frequency are you using? 12/18 khz? All these things affect target ID and in what tone bins the targets will fall. Avoid using other people's funky tone settings until you really understand how they affect machine performance otherwise you are just shooting in the dark.

Last edited:

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not discriminating at 96 and up, merely giving you a low tone (presumably so those targets will sound like iron - for whatever reason - iron wraparound?). I can't hazard a guess.

I would really stick with the basics until you really know why people are setting their machines up this way. Why do you want a low tone 96 and up? Do you have ID norm set to on? What coil and frequency are you using? 12/18 khz? All these things affect target ID and in what tone bins the targets will fall. Avoid using other people's funky tone settings until you really understand how they affect machine performance otherwise you are just shooting in the dark.

Actually, one of the Deus Fast program 3 or 4 tones have low tone 96 setup on 120Hz. I was looking around the Deus Fast program yesterday and that is what I noticed.

I have the x35 11 inch coil. I saved 2 preset based on the Deus Fast, one at 12Khz and another one on 18Khz. I understand about sticking to basics etc, but the only way for me to know and to understand more about the settings is asking questions. As I was curious about the low tone on 96 and above, I thought it could be a good idea to set up a 5 tones with similar setup as the 3 or 4 tones.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s not the factory default for 5 tones Deus Fast on my Deus ver 5.21.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s not the factory default for 5 tones Deus Fast on my Deus ver 5.21.

No my friend ^^, I didn't say its the factory default for 5 tones Deus Fast. On the 3 or 4 tones there is a similar setup with the low frequency applied on 96 and above. As I am still at work, I don't have the device with me. I will check again in the evening.

I just said that it would be a good idea to customize the 5 tones and add a low tone frequency on 96 and above.

Nevertheless, I still would like to understand fully the application of lower tone in higher value 96 and above. My version is also a 5.21 btw.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tones are only for your hearing so you can distinguish the ID number range. Nothing to do with actually detecting a target. Whatever tone you like to hear, you decide. The high tones jump out at you. The low tones basically for you to ignore most times but you know a bad target is there. The problem with the 96+ being set at a low tone, you might be getting a good target up there and ignore it. But some places where it is overwhelming it helps to cut those out but you will miss a few good ones because the very deep target ID numbers can shift upwards, so a nickle might sound like silver. The reason for the upwards shift is because most deep targets will normally shift downwards and sound like iron. XP programmed this so that doesn't happen as much.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you can notch it out so you don't hear anything.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tones are only for your hearing so you can distinguish the ID number range. Nothing to do with actually detecting a target. Whatever tone you like to hear, you decide. The high tones jump out at you. The low tones basically for you to ignore most times but you know a bad target is there. The problem with the 96+ being set at a low tone, you might be getting a good target up there and ignore it. But some places where it is overwhelming it helps to cut those out but you will miss a few good ones because the very deep target ID numbers can shift upwards, so a nickle might sound like silver. The reason for the upwards shift is because most deep targets will normally shift downwards and sound like iron. XP programmed this so that doesn't happen as much.

I get what you mean. So you for example, as you are experienced. What are your tones settings? Just for me to see and compare with the factory settings of Deus Fast. Are you running with 3 or 4/5 tones?

Or you can notch it out so you don't hear anything.

I am used to hear everything including ferrous objects (I had AT PRO before and never discriminated anything). I developed a habit to listen to low tones.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be very careful with setting a low tone at 96 or above. As signal_line had mentioned, the Deus up averages deep non ferrous targets. For example, I once had a deep large cent present a TID of 97 when they are typically 94 in 12 kHz. I would have walked right passed it if I had set a tone break at 96 and higher to 120 Hz. You'll eventually learn to hear iron on the Deus, even when iron wrap around occurs.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I understand correctly, the advantage of having ID NORM Off is to see if on different frequencies, the ID of the target is changing or fixed right? So if the target ID changes in other frequencies, it means that it could be a ferrous object correct? Also based on the sounds. But if the target ID is the same, worth digging right?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got it backwards. No change or change in ID opposite of the frequency change probable ferrous. If ID lowers then probable non-ferrous. TBH, I really don't bother with this check anymore. I mainly use pitch tone, with discrimination at 7 to 10, iron volume at 2 or 3 and listen for iron tones. I set reactivity consistent with site target density and mainly run with silencer off (-1 setting) unless I am at the beach and then run it at 1 or 2 because I am not worried about silencer masking non-ferrous targets and let silencer break up the bottkecap tones. I mainly hunt for relics or jewelry at the beach so run frequency usually at 25 - 28 khz depending on the coil I'm using (mostly the 9" round white HF) and glance at the screen for target ID if I get a non-ferrous hit and make a dig decision.

Last edited:

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I was in a park yesterday and tried out the factory settings Deus Fast with minor modification to frequency, tx power & reactivity. There was a lot of trash in the park, I've dig up only trash for 3 hours, dozens of pull tabs and bottle caps. Well at least I've trained my ears to know the signals of pull tabs and bottle caps. I was annoyed after 3 hours, so I was walking on my way to the parking lot where I left my car. But while walking, I was still swinging at the edge of the park and the suddenly I started to find some coins. The most interesting for me is the British penny from 1998. The dark one is a Dutch gulden, something like penny but from 1967. And couple of euro cents.

I've learned a lot for the 4 hours of my run in the park :D Overall. Im happy that I found some coins. Nothing much but at least something, definitely I performed a lot better than my first run. Now I have 8 hrs on my Deus 8-). Hundred hours more ahead :laughing9:

20200105_202046.jpg
20200105_202104.jpg
20200105_202158.jpg
20200105_202214.jpg

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very best plan is to start out on a relatively trash-free area. Or at least get to the edge of the trashy area where it thins out.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The very best plan is to start out on a relatively trash-free area. Or at least get to the edge of the trashy area where it thins out.
Hardly to find any location without trash nowadays, unless it's a farm field.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm talking about modern, non-ferrous trash, like pull tabs, aluminum foil and can slaw--stuff that competes with jewelry and coins. Areas where the public has littered. I don't know about your area but you just have look.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm talking about modern, non-ferrous trash, like pull tabs, aluminum foil and can slaw--stuff that competes with jewelry and coins. Areas where the public has littered. I don't know about your area but you just have look.

Basically everywhere is littered with pull tabs, foils, bottle caps. People in the country I live are very outdoors and most of the time spend their moments outside like parks, etc. I wish those foils were not conductive.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always run a notch up to near 40. You'll lose some small gold but if that's what it takes to maintain your sanity, it's worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions