Impressed with the ORX

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My only comment is that you don't need to repair the headphones every time. Just turn on the remote then turn on the headphones and you should be good to go.

There is a bug with the initial ORX software release that causes the ORX to not not pair with the WSA headphones when the unit is turned on. XP has corrected the issue, more information can be found here. ORX UPDATE - XP This issue affected a friend of mine’s ORX and was corrected by installing the update.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apply the update only if your headphones do not pair up automatically.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it seems to get just get better and better every time I go to use my orx. I have not had any problems pairing my headphones and keeping them paired. I been using it a lot here lately. Nothing really too special but a hand full of nick knacks yesterday at a 1930's era house. Below is a picture. So far I have found 3 coins on edge at 3 different places and they all ringed up as a coin too. I really like that with no iffy signal or tone break up. Solid hit from both directions and I was surprised each time when I found out they were on edge.

I took and purchased a pre owned deus remote to go along with my orx. I have set up one program and matched the settings from the orx coin fast program, plus the break points and pitch of the 3 tones itself and saved it into the deus. In my test garden I have discovered so far that both machines seem to react the same exact way on my buried coins when using the same program set up, coin fast on the ORX and the simulated coin fast on the deus. The only difference I have encountered on the deus simulated orx fast program is the iron audio is a bit louder.

Today, although I did not take any pics of the finds, I took both units out to an old house that I have not really found anything at all worth mentioning other than a dog tag from 1952. I have swung the following machines at this old house in the front yard. Anfibio 14, racer 2, at gold and the equinox 600. The equinox is the one that found the old dog tag. I found only spent pistol casings, shotgun brass and zinc mason jar lids with the others and also among that stuff there is a ton of iron in the ground too. I mean a lot....way more than I have ever encountered before. Horse shoes, plow points, half of horse shoes, parts of bits, some tack style iron buckles, horse bit parts, you get the idea. I noticed in one part of the yard today that the ground phase and also the preset ground setting on my orx both read 00 in both blocks on the machine. I thought something was wrong and turned it off and then back on. Well when I started it up again and went to a fairly clean part of the yard 88 was the default and 78 of the phase appeared like normal. So I started to search back where I was previously with the weird ground reading and the same thing happened again. 00 in both blocks on the control read out. So I kept searching beyond that and everything went back to normal. Go figure, I guess it is just a funky spot in that yard.

So I thought what the heck I am going to take an hour today and see what happens. I swung the orx first. I dug 1/2 of a horse shoe, a large square buckle and probably a 1940's style brass jean or shirt button. The button was right there among the iron junk still in the ground right in the path I have walked about 30 times total with 4 other machines. I swung the orx for about 30 minutes. Then I went and got the deus and walked the same exact path. I found two spent .22 casings and two small pieces of can slaw. I did venture out into the yard a bit and dug a complete horse shoe and a small horse tack type buckle.

So all in all so far with the exact same settings and the exact same coil, they seem to be on par with one another performance wise. I took extra slow time with the deus on the path because I had to try pretty hard to pick out anything non ferrous since no other non ferrous items stood out hardly at all after going through with the orx and that is when I came across those 22 casings.

Below is a picture from yesterdays little hunt at another old house new permission. No silver but 4 nickels, 3 wheats, 2 clad dimes, some modern pennies, tootsie toy truck, and the other common junk. Plus a couple of cool little doo dads whatever they may be. An unfired 22 bullet too. All of this was found with just the orx in coin fast alternating between 14khz and 31khz.

Now I was trying to find an X35 coil set up along with a complete orx control rod. The x35 coil by itself is on back order. So I checked on the orx with the x35 coil and corded headphones. I just ordered that set up. Now after it arrives, I am going to pair up my deus remote to the x35 coil. I am going to see if it gets any more depth first of all since the deus was kind of built around those frequencies to begin with and then compare it with the orx set up I have with the white HF round coil that I already have been using.

Then I am going to compare both ORX set ups x35 vs hf to one another.

I got to thinking about this the other night before I went to bed. If you have the white hf coil no matter which one you have it has 3 base frequencies with an off set of 7 each for a total of 21 frequencies. If you have the black x35 coil that has 5 main frequencies with 7 offsets, that is 35 frequencies total. If you arm yourself with both the black and white coils together, you will have a total of 56 frequencies to choose from. And you can pick which ever one you want to and go see how each does depending on the site conditions. Who has ever offered such a choice of frequencies? No body that I know of but XP.

Yeah I know multi freq is good on salt beaches or heavy ground conditions but where I live I do not have that problem.

I do not know if any of you guys have been watching the fellow on youtube in the gold fields of Australia but that fellow has been finding some very small nuggets with an ORX over there in that heavy hot ground they have in those gold fields. I know the ORX is a gold unit per say with a couple of coin programs thrown in there but, it really seems to do what it was designed for pretty darn good by what I have saw on those videos.

YORKfdz.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some quick thoughts
- I'm just as amazed with this machine as BigTim. My other machines are collecting dust fast! I would have bought a Deus 5 years ago!
- It's just so light and fast! (I'm not even sure my Vaquero was this light?)
- Most of the bottle caps I have encountered are in the low to mid 80's on the vdi (So I have been skipping over 99% of these targets but checking a few just to verify - I suppose I could miss a few good targets? )
- I pair my headphones every time ..not sure if I have to but it takes only about 10 secs. The Pin-pointer is always paired and can be adjusted to a insane level plus the added effect of hearing it through the headset is nice and stealthy.
- The three tones I thought might be an issue but it really isn't because the audio modulation is top notch. (I feels like a 5 or 6 tone machine)
- Twice this machine has really amazed me as I had a high vdi like 95 and pulled out a big chunk iron that was only to recheck the hole and find a quarter in the hole!
- Gary's videos on the XP youtube channel are very helpful and other manufactures should take note.

* Also not necessary machine related but I hit my biggest clad coin spill with the orx on Sunday about 25 quarters in a 10' circle at the fair grounds. Actually I'm pretty sure they dump pen shavings in this spot and my bet is kids drop their clad in the pens.

Yes I agree that the screw caps seep to pop u pin the low to mid 80's from what I have found also. Also too the zinc pennies seem to pop up about 85 or so.

I forgot about this little hunt as well. I have an old farm house that I bought several years ago. I do not live there but it is a place that is really an ongoing project. It was built in 1949. I have never found one old wheat penny there or any other old coin. Over the years since I have owned it, about 5 now I believe, I have swung the following units out at that place. MXT, DFX, XLT, F75 LTD, Omega 8000, gamma 6000, several different Tesoro's, Eurotek Pro, original red racer, nokta fors core, racer 2, anfibio and minelab equinox 600. Now those are just the units I have used there myself. I also have had some buddies come over to play as well and they brought their Teknetics T2 LTD, DFX, Eurotek Pro, and MXT. Probably a few more too. None of us have ever even found a wheat penny or a silver dime. We have found a bunch of clad here and there but nothing to brag about.

So what the heck, the last couple of times before I purchased the orx I took my anfibio and equinox over there. I may have found two coins and that was really walking all over the place to find a 1979 dime and zinc penny.

The other day when I took and turned on the orx and started to swing I was shocked I dug a quarter right at the steps of the house and then about 8 inches over a clad dime. Then right in the middle was a big old beanie weenie can lid there that I guess was nulling out Those coins. The can lid had a gash in it like a mower had cut it and it was almost in the same hole as the quarter. Right at the steps going into the house. Plus there was iron all over the spot as well. All in all I dug 12 coins in about a 45 minute to one hour little hunt. I even left several in the ground for another day. Go figure!! Also with the iron audio that is on with the coin fast on the ORX, I finally got to hear all of the trash that was there for the first time. I was amazed at that because I thought it was pretty much dried up. With all of this being said, if I can pull just one wheat penny out of there, even if it is just a 1959 the last year of them, I will be thrilled and I do believe I can do so now with one of these XP machines I have. Who knows but we will see. Below is a pic of that short little hunt. I forget to pull the rest of the coins out of my pocket for the pic but all in all there were 12 total.

nKMFwBp.jpg

Last edited:

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a bug with the initial ORX software release that causes the ORX to not not pair with the WSA headphones when the unit is turned on. XP has corrected the issue, more information can be found here. ORX UPDATE - XP This issue affected a friend of mine’s ORX and was corrected by installing the update.

Thanks! Got the update today and applied it and it fixed the pairing issue I was having. They now stay paired after I shut the machine off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread