Multi Tones versus Pitch

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Signal Line. Clive is very knowlegeable about detectors in general and especially about coil control technique. Bottom line, you are right. XP designed disc to be adjustable for the situation at hand. Using iron volume, I haven't seen a lot of difference in my experience running it 6 to 10 or in between so I mainly just leave it at 7 or 8. That doesn't mean there aren't situations that could benefit from dialing it down a bit, I just haven't really encountered those situations running in both mild and super hot soils. Thx again for the discussion. HH.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mean i should stop banging my head against the wall now? LOL I really don't feel comfortable putting his info out on the forum but my head is hurting from all the wall banging, LOL. He said in sand and bad ground you might need to use zero disc, so I easily extrapolated the Deus fine tuning Disc can certainly be used in such a situation without having to go to zero Disc. So sand and bad ground, lower the Disc to get as much depth as possible and still not dig too much trash.

I'm not taking credit for this. Clive is the one who said it.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave disc at one setting and forget about it, you move it around slightly. Splitting hairs here, so yeah, we can stop banging our heads against the wall and move on. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Jeff H

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Great discussion on XP's nuanced approach to Discrimination with the Deus. Thanks to all that contributed. I think my original post was about pitch versus multitones :laughing7: but I am happy the way the conversation developed and morphed. I think some of the best learning opportunities happen that way.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I admire you guys! Only thing I've figured out on my machine is how to get it dirty, wear the paint off it and dent it! IMG_0045.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using Deus Fast, tracking balance, 74 khz and whatever the presets are for it with 3 tones. I really haven't used it up to its capabilities. I did a few custom programs, but on wide open spaces, it really doesn't matter too much what you use and in a CW hut, you eventually have to get out the shovel and pinpointer as there will be up to 50-100 targets of one kind or another in a 2' x 2' area.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using Deus Fast, tracking balance, 74 khz and whatever the presets are for it with 3 tones. I really haven't used it up to its capabilities. I did a few custom programs, but on wide open spaces, it really doesn't matter too much what you use and in a CW hut, you eventually have to get out the shovel and pinpointer as there will be up to 50-100 targets of one kind or another in a 2' x 2' area.
6.1 is the Deus Fast preset if I remember correctly.....personally id change to 2 tone for a CW site (if not using pitch) and go with a ferrous/non ferrous program.

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Smokey,
I'd love to get my Deus that dirty for a find like those!!

gwcracker

Aug 5, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6.1 is the Deus Fast preset if I remember correctly.....personally id change to 2 tone for a CW site (if not using pitch) and go with a ferrous/non ferrous program.

How have you done on CS buckles thus far with your settings?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a CS buckle you basically have to have your machine turned on, get your coil over the target, and be willing to dig what sounds like an aluminum can. Oh, this advice works for US plates and buckles too. The settings don't much matter as long as you haven't notched out aluminum cans. The only hard part is getting your coil over the target. Lol.

Last edited:

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there, new Deus owner here. After reading all 4 pages, I got very confused.

1. Why certain people like Full tones with 0 disc and why certain people not?
2. XP designed the machine in the way that some disc should be applied with 5/4/3/2 tones, so what is the purpose of the full tones and having 0 disc (or negative disc)?
3. vFerrari mentioned: "Lower disc settings cause the horseshoe display to be erratic or inaccurate in it's display" - Isn't the purpose of metal detecting to analyse the sounds rather than looking and relying on the display?

Calabash demonstrating Full tones with low disc versus 5 tones

Or maybe I asked the wrong question. So in which place the Full tones with low disc is applicable and in which place the other tones with disc is applicable. Any examples maybe?

OP
OP
Jeff H

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Hi Cyberdeus, don't feel bad about being confused. We are getting into the weeds on this topic :laughing7:. Most of this discussion boils down to personal preference on how to unmask targets in heavy iron. If you are not doing that, then just about any approach (full tones, multi tones, pitch, low disc, no disc, etc.,) you use with the Deus will find you the vast majority of the good targets. Keep it simple for now and learn the basics and have some fun. Experienced users like to "argue" over the best way to find the challenging targets. :laughing7:

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there Cyberdeus, the XP Deus is a machine that can be turn on and go or can also be the ultimate tinker tool. If you’re brand new to the Deus, I would recommend starting with the Deus Fast program and run it with stock settings in order to learn the basics.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the warm words guys. I will try out the Deus Fast program in the weekends to see how it will perform for me 8-)

Should I turn off ID Norm on this program or not necessarily? I would like to understand exactly what it does, when should we have it enabled and when should we have it disabled.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the warm words guys. I will try out the Deus Fast program in the weekends to see how it will perform for me 8-)

Should I turn off ID Norm on this program or not necessarily? I would like to understand exactly what it does, when should we have it enabled and when should we have it disabled.

It is up to you. If you prefer to have target ID's "float" with operating frequency, then having ID NORM off enables some capabilities like the IRON CHK I described in another thread. With ID NORM on, then you avoid high conductor target IDs getting crammed up into the 90's as you raise operating frequency above 18 khz because maximum target ID is fixed at 99 and also means you can use the same tonal breakpoints for your programs regardless of operating frequency. The white HF coils, however, do not have the option to turn ID norm on or off, it is always off so the very high frequencies cause the high conductors to crammed into the 90's. HTH.

I really agree with the advice of others here regarding sticking to the basics until you have had the field experience to understand what the advanced settings really do.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is up to you. If you prefer to have target ID's "float" with operating frequency, then having ID NORM off enables some capabilities like the IRON CHK I described in another thread. With ID NORM on, then you avoid high conductor target IDs getting crammed up into the 90's as you raise operating frequency above 18 khz because maximum target ID is fixed at 99 and also means you can use the same tonal breakpoints for your programs regardless of operating frequency. The white HF coils, however, do not have the option to turn ID norm on or off, it is always off so the very high frequencies cause the high conductors to crammed into the 90's. HTH.

I really agree with the advice of others here regarding sticking to the basics until you have had the field experience to understand what the advanced settings really do.
The IRON CHK program is based on Deus Fast? You just changed the frequency to 4khz and turned off ID NORM or there are also some other settings to be applied? Can you share the full settings please? Thanks

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The IRON CHK program is based on Deus Fast? You just changed the frequency to 4khz and turned off ID NORM or there are also some other settings to be applied? Can you share the full settings please? Thanks

The base program is immaterial. All you are doing is using a custom program slot to shift frequency down to 4khz to see how target ID for a suspect ferrous target responds. You just need to make sure ID norm is off for both your search program and your iron check program.

Cyberdeus

Dec 29, 2019
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The base program is immaterial. All you are doing is using a custom program slot to shift frequency down to 4khz to see how target ID for a suspect ferrous target responds. You just need to make sure ID norm is off for both your search program and your iron check program.

So basically, it's the same "custom program" let's say Deus Fast but one is with 4khz and another one is 12khz and just shifting between to 2 when getting a suspect ferrous target response?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread