Elliptical HF Coil - Opinions?

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening, I am considering purchasing the elliptical HF coil while it is still on sale. I already own the 9 inch X35 coil and am very pleased with it. I wouldn’t mind owning an HF coil as well, and thought that I might choose the elliptical option due to its smaller footprint. Do any of you guys own this coil, and if so, how do you like it?

Mike

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the HF coil exclusively and love it. The small footprint lets me snake around trees, etc. and it even does pretty good in the horrible red Virginia dirt, which is half iron. I have not had an X35.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the HF coil exclusively and love it. The small footprint lets me snake around trees, etc. and it even does pretty good in the horrible red Virginia dirt, which is half iron. I have not had an X35.

Thank you smokey!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm beginning to think it's not so much what kind of machine you use, but how slow do you go! I have watched a ton of people dig, and I'm quite surprised some of them find anything do to poor detecting skills.

tektin

Feb 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think its as much poor detecting skills as it is poor detecting habits. I detect with highly skilled folks with pretty bad habits. By the way, I use the 9 inch HF coil on my ORX and love it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also being tall can be a handicap in the hobby. I've seen lots of tall folks take a full stride and miss 50% of the ground they walked over. I've also seen some folks spend an hour on a 4' x 4' area, and dig two deep coins, while the rest of the stuff was a matter of feet away from them. Then there is is the upswing at the end of the swing, and the zig zag with no apparent pattern. All kinds of stuff, including keeping the coil 6" off the ground to begin with.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that it's a combination of skills, the right equipment, and knowledge of how to use the equipment. That's why I asked about the elliptical coil in particular. I could have all of the skill in the world but trying to "cram" an 11 inch or even 9 inch coil in a tight space might cause me to miss a good target.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's another tool in the kit for those tight areas. Great swing coverage on par with the 9" round but great to swing in tight spots or thick target areas. And despite the 5-inch width, you don't seem to lose much depth vs. the 9" round.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Secondstar, I know what you mean. I was digging in VA 3 years ago, now the place has been pounded, but I am still finding stuff. It's a tiny little place, shouldn't have anything left in it at this time. There was this one BIG tree and a little 2" tree about 8" away from it, at best. I had a Tesoro with a small elliptical loop on it. I figured no use trying to look between the two trees. But at the last minute I did and it blew my ears off. I took my full size shovel and put it in the ground deeply and dug up the signal and it scared the snot out of me - out of the ground it rose - the two tie down points first, to a complete Civil War stirrup! A 9" coil would not have fit there.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see this. I have the 9 inch round HF coil and also just purchased the elliptical tonight as well. I think I like the HF coil better than the X35 so far. It just runs quieter as well to me. I think it is due to the battery placement in the stem. So anyways, I am glad to see everyone is loving theirs.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Plus one. I use the HF Elliptical Coil on the beach and really like how quiet it is until it reports a target. Excellent coil.

OP
OP
secondstar

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback folks! Now, if anyone could give me some advice as to how I might broach the subject of another equipment purchase with my wife I would greatly appreciate it! ;-)

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought the 9 inch X35 coil and now my elliptical sits unused. Of course, my Deus itself sits largely unused since I bought my Equinox, but for the Deus, I do prefer the 9". Nothing wrong with the elliptical except that my hunting doesn't need the high frequencies and actually prefer the lower ones. And physically, the 9" is the perfect weight for balance and a good trade-off for size.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback folks! Now, if anyone could give me some advice as to how I might broach the subject of another equipment purchase with my wife I would greatly appreciate it! ;-)

Do what I do, just get it. I just buy what I want then when the package comes, I act like it is no big deal when the postman drops off the package. My wife never says anything about it. But if you start saying stuff like, today I am expecting a package in the mail, they will start asking questions. It is best to just not act like any package is on the way.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It almost never comes off my Deus. There is nothing better in the heavy iron trash..period.

Last edited:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have both hf coils plus the 9” and 11” x35 coils. After some time I might sell off one which I think is least useful. I’m using the hf coils the most, and the 11” x35 is for the fields and wide open areas, but the 9” x35 is so much more comfortable to swing.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm beginning to think it's not so much what kind of machine you use, but how slow do you go! I have watched a ton of people dig, and I'm quite surprised some of them find anything do to poor detecting skills.

No doubt Smokey. I watch videos of these guys in Europe swings the Deus like swatting flies.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread