Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was laid up most of the summer, but now that we're at the end of it, that's when I generally do beach detecting, waiting for the bees to freeze out before we switch to relic hunting.

Anyway, I just breeze through the salt water beaches here, and do pretty good, I can cover a lot of ground fast with the Deus, (dry sand), and not waste time on trash targets as the VDI pretty much lets me know what I have before I dig it.

So I had upgraded to the 5.2 software awhile back. It seemed ok, but I hadn't been much to the salt beach.

For some unknown reason I decided to try the water's edge. I slapped it on the beach mode, which I hadn't liked previously, and still 74 khz, moved a few feet and had my ears blown off! A cute child's ring, not deep. Then another signal, and another and another. All good targets, sinkers, coins and a gold necklace, all still in the truck.

So....The 5.2 software upgrade has refined salt water beach use for the Deus! It just burped on bottle caps, you knew not to dig them.

Impressive.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good info Smokey! I’m heading to the ocean this week, maybe I’ll bring my Deus in addition to my Equinox.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of waiting to see what the Vanquish looks like. I had a 600 and plain did not like it. It was not up to the job on my relic sites. My one relic site in particular, the other one is good with a "pie pan on a stick", but that Virginia spot will put the Equinox, AT series and Fishers to shame. Most folks use a PI machine but I tried that and couldn't handle it! My Tesoros did good there as does the Deus. Now whatever XP did, they made their machines work in salt water!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I mean. Yesterday and today's hunt, lots of it in the salt water. IMG_0744.jpg IMG_0745.JPG IMG_0747.JPG IMG_0750.JPG IMG_0751.JPG IMG_0743.JPG

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was laid up most of the summer, but now that we're at the end of it, that's when I generally do beach detecting, waiting for the bees to freeze out before we switch to relic hunting.

Anyway, I just breeze through the salt water beaches here, and do pretty good, I can cover a lot of ground fast with the Deus, (dry sand), and not waste time on trash targets as the VDI pretty much lets me know what I have before I dig it.

So I had upgraded to the 5.2 software awhile back. It seemed ok, but I hadn't been much to the salt beach.

For some unknown reason I decided to try the water's edge. I slapped it on the beach mode, which I hadn't liked previously, and still 74 khz, moved a few feet and had my ears blown off! A cute child's ring, not deep. Then another signal, and another and another. All good targets, sinkers, coins and a gold necklace, all still in the truck.

So....The 5.2 software upgrade has refined salt water beach use for the Deus! It just burped on bottle caps, you knew not to dig them.

Impressive.

There are 2 Beach modes - Wet Beach and Dry Beach. I assume you went to Wet Beach. Wet Beach is basically Deus Fast but with the following default differences:

Disc is increased from 6.1 to 10
Sensitvity is Lowered to 85 from 90
TX power is lowered to 1 from 2 (not applicable to the HF coils which are fixed at TX 2)
Iron Volume is Turned Off
Audio Response shifts from 4 to 1 which means deeper targets become less audible as depth modulation increases.
And GB is shifted to Beach Mode which allows for salt GB settings of 0 to 30 (default 27) vs. normal dry ground settings of 60 to 95 and No GB Tracking available.

Also the default frequency is 18K (for the LF coils) so it would hzve chznged your coil frequency to 28 khz (the lowest frequency of the HF coil above 18 khz).

So, not surprising it ran quiet.

Not sure why this didn't work the same as before as all of these settings are the same as they were prior to the 5.2 update. Perhaps you were using Dry Beach before, which is similar to Deus Fast but with silencer cut in and Disc increased to 10, but without the Beach GB settings which would give more chatter in the wet salt sand.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it worked fine. I know it was in wet beach this week. It was so long ago I did the actual water (ends of the waves, feet got wet that's all),this is with the HF coil, in the past I may have still had the LF coil on.

Now I'm going to have to try out the Hot and Deep programs?

Will they help like at the farm?

The weather was near perfect. May go out tomorrow, so many places not enough time. Not doing grass or woods till a hard frost due to bees.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Deus Fast is the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions