Skiron

Aug 18, 2019
Greece
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

In my last hunts, I witnessed something strange and new to me...

After recovering a target from a hole, and swinging over the empty hole to make sure no other target is in there, I was very often getting a faint high tone repeatable signal over the empty hole...dig again, deeper, wider, search again, but nothing....no target there, but still getting a faint high tone whenever I was swinging over the empty deep hole. This happened more than once, in fact a lot of times in my last hunt...

Is it possible for the deus to get a high tone spike as I pass over the edge of the hole, due to the conductivity difference between the flat soil around the hole and the hole's edges??? If that's the case, is there a way to avoid it and not dig to China for just a ghost signal?

Have to mention that my soils are pretty hot there (gb around 70s) if that matters....

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if a pin-pointer picks it up too!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What were the targets? If it was iron the "bleed" of the rust can do that to most machines.

OP
OP
S

Skiron

Aug 18, 2019
Greece
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if a pin-pointer picks it up too!

Yes, the pinpointer was sounding off in the bottom of the hole (not at the hole's edges), but seem to sound off in all of the hole's bottom...not in a specific spot.
I was continiouisly digging deeper, but no target....however still a faint high tone when swinging over the "empty" hole...but I quit after all that digging and left. The same happened many times in this field...Could be ground minerals??? I was manually set me GB @75... ground phase was high 60s (68/69) sometimes but I didn't lower my gb less than 75 as I was afraid of extreme ground falsing

OP
OP
S

Skiron

Aug 18, 2019
Greece
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What were the targets? If it was iron the "bleed" of the rust can do that to most machines.

Yes, in two of those ghost holes the initial recovery was rusted iron, but in another one the recovery was a tiny coin and still this faint ghost signal in the empty hole after recovery....also, a couple of times I had the same faint signal, I dug, and not target at all no matter how deep I dig before quit the hole.
So, I had the same phenomenon not only after the target recovery (ferrous or not ferrous), but also without a target at all and was chaising a ghost faint signal.

Pretty sure is that damn hot soil of the area causing those faint ghost signals ... eitherwise I maybe left something valuable because I quit digging deeper...what do you think?

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had targets stick to sides of shovel etc but also had the signal to seem to disperse as the dirt was pulled out as if it was just a clump of dirt with decaying metal broken up in it. I have also unknowingly flipped the target out away from the hole while digging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread