Elliptical vs round hf9 coil on smaller targets and depth?

ri2020

Greenie
Jan 16, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have ORX with hf Elliptical coil and till now happy with it, few days ago purchased x35 11 but its to heavy for my taste, since elliptical coil does not have much depth, i was thinking to exchange x35 11 coil with hf9 round coil to gain depth since in my tests small mini medieval coins are not much detectable in depth more then 5cm with elliptical coil, is round coil better and deeper on smaller targets then elliptical coil, does anybody have both coils to compare with?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both coils but have misplaced my mid evil coins so i can not run your test....(actually never had a mid evil coin) the 9" in general is deeper but the elliptical runs a higher frequency, which generally hits smaller targets harder.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto what Tedyoh said! I would add that the elliptical can fit in tight places better like between corn row stubble or bushes. I only have the 9" and it punches to a decent depth usually up to 9" with vdi on a dime and more with just clean audio tone.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll jump back in here :)
I would think the freq... of the coil and how you have the program set has a lot to do with depth. I use the elliptical all the time and have dug some DEEP targets that where pretty small. I'm talking BB's and small bits and bobs down to 6" plus.

cowboye

Mar 24, 2014
Englewood Ohio, Davao City Philippines
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, & Minelab 800, & Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello
i have both whites coils, and the X35 11'. i love the 9.5x5 coil. it goes deep and separates great
it will get a dime at 9 inches

OP
OP
R

ri2020

Greenie
Jan 16, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Latest update on coils, with new x35 11 coil finding rate increased multiple times, I am using elliptical coil as well, it serves me well more for rings then coins, still thinking to complete the set with 9 hf round coil which can be killer for Jewellery i think.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the 9” round HF coil on the beach and in that environment it gets plenty deep. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread