Anybody use notch for pull tabs/rings?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold jewelry falls right in that range, so it’s not used more out of a desire not to miss valuable targets vs. some super secret magic setting. Can be useful if you happen upon a patch of pull tabs at a fire ring or something like that but when you notch, you always run the risk of masking a keeper.

Baribal

Jan 28, 2020
Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would never do that!
very thin silver coins (for example the one attached) are in the same range as aluminum foil for example. Same with pull tabs, could always be a nice coin.
Out of my experience I dig up a lot of trash but theres some nice stuff inbetween as well, which I would have never found if I had used the notch feature on my detector.
Konventsthaler.jpeg

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope - I don't unfortunately the pull tap rings in the same vdi as a Nickel >50% of the time. This has been true for every machine I have used so far.
I have also found gold rings that respond with the same vdi and audio as a pull tab. With a really fast machine like the Deus I can sometimes call it though on a pull tab from the audio response.

For me the little 5.3 coil on my whites locks in on a 19 it is usually a Nickel if it jumps more then 1 vdi number I suspect it is trash (dig anyway though). I believe this is true for the NOX as well but I wasn't able to train my ears to that machine.

I have experimented with notching everything between a Nickel range and Copper though if I am cherry picking in a trashy site.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of the places I hunt have huge amounts of aluminum trash. I've done a little with notches but need to refine my technique. I agree if the area is not too trashy best not to use any.

Last edited:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
I used to notch like crazy in heavy trash, but after I lost my settings with the last update, I opted to rely just on full tones for a bit before restoring those notches. I haven't felt the need to go back to heavy notching but I may experiment with it some more. I was mostly using it in blighted parks to notch out the ferrous crap at the bottom of the scale, as full tones can be a bit lively in our mineralized soil and I don't need (or want) to hear where the iron is - it's everywhere. In sites like this, low conductors are almost always trash. On older sites without modern trash I didn't notch at all, as some of those ferrous targets are keepers.

If you want gold, you're going to get pull tabs. If you're not getting pull tabs (or nickels), you're potentially walking past gold. I haven't been able to find a good way around this. If someone has, hopefully they'll talk about it.

My two biggest aids in "aluminized" sites are 4k and full tones. Foil balls and can slaw almost never give a repeatable signal in two different directions, at least at low frequencies. If the target is giving wacky signals in different directions, it could be something good...but it probably isn't. At least, it never has been for me.

Perhaps the two biggest problems with giving advice to others in this hobby is that we can never know for sure what we've walked past, and when we do bother to dig iffy signals, we tend to remember the outliers, not the usual results. I try to combat this by digging a few signals that I've pegged as aluminum garbage every time that I'm in a trashy park after calling them out as aluminum garbage, but that reinforces my views on aluminum if anything; I don't remember the last time that a crap aluminum signal resulted in something other than crap aluminum. But again, those were only what I dug up. I may have walked past the find of a lifetime. I'll never know.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I've used the blanket notch for aluminum and didn't feel comfortable with it. I've tried narrow notch for different size pull tabs and wasn't comfortable either. But I'm going back in with renewed enthusiasm. The Deus can run a narrow notch, just one number if you want. Not going to eliminate them all, but whatever you get is better than digging everything--by a long shot. Been reading Clive's books, I have a bunch of them. He has some good info but you have to accept what he says as Gospel. In the past I rejected or forgot much of it with the attitude "I know better." Wrong! At least I know what I am supposed to be doing now. Damn the naysayers.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clive's book on the DFX.

Top Member Reactions