Why do dealers over-charge for the coil charge clip?

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I probably know the answer to that question but...

The MSRP for the clip is $15.43 (with the minimum advertised price listed by XP at $13.12) but I couldn't find them for sale for less than $18.00; most were over $20 and some in the thirties. Every other XP Dēus accessory or part seems to sell for its minimum advertised price. Even eBay sellers aren't listing them at MSRP, let alone MAP.

The dealer who I just purchased a new MI-6 from at the minimum advertised price sells the coil charge clip at $34.99; that's more than twice the MSRP and two and a half times the MAP!

I know dealers have to make a profit and I didn't mind paying the extra five bucks in this case, but why just this one part? The idea that we get gouged on this one part that seems to be the only poorly-designed piece or weak link in the Dēus chain just bugs me a bit.

Castiel

Greenie
Jan 29, 2020
Lebanon pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's tough in America today. I know a guy that at lunch when he made up customers bills he would over charge at lunch, to pay for him and his mechanic.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats called business. You charge what an item is worth. If its rare and lots of people want it, you charge more. If nobody wants to buy it, you start offering sales. Business 101.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Greed, MBA in Economics..

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Business 101 and greed... I know, but where's that one rebel who generally shows up on eBay, selling them cheap and trying to get ahead by volume sales? :dontknow:

;)

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a place that sells the clips (and other XP parts/accessories) for MSRP: (deleted for rule infraction)
They're out of stock at the moment, but they offer e-mail back-in-stock notification. Their good prices are offset by their expensive shipping charges, although it's free for purchases over $99.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember it violates rules to give web addresses of non supporting vendors on open forum, what members do via pm is different.

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops... Sorry! I didn't mean it as an advertisement; only as sort of an answer/follow-up to my own question.

Incidentally, all three of my detectors have been purchased from supporting vendors! (Big Boys Hobbies and KellyCo) :thumb_up:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops... Sorry! I didn't mean it as an advertisement; only as sort of an answer/follow-up to my own question.

Incidentally, all three of my detectors have been purchased from supporting vendors! (Big Boys Hobbies and KellyCo) :thumb_up:

I didn't think it was intentional, I was just explaining why post was edited, you can PM member and give the name, that doesnt violate rules..

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Equinox 600, XP DEUS with 9, 11x13, and HF coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you do a search on the interwebs for "XP Deus charge clip" there is an outfit that sells a 3D printed replacement that won't break like the OEM one. It's the same price but more fool proof.

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ironic... after ordering a highly-marked-up-price clip from an eBay seller, I found an online dealer who sold them for MAP. It turns out that dealer was the one listing them on eBay at a higher price, and is the eBay seller I purchased my clip from!

I know; it's much ado about a few bucks, but it's the darn principle! :tongue3:

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better question is why people complain about a few dollars more. Dont like it, buy it somewhere else. Im not use to a man complaining. Feel like i lost IQ points after reading the wah wah wah. I got an extra one you can have buddy.

Arkie

Feb 16, 2017
NE Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Tejon, Lobo LST (2), Shadow X2, Bandido 2 Umax, Silver Sabre Umax, Mojave, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because clips are the only thing that people can break on a deus, if they're put on right they don't break.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats called business. You charge what an item is worth. If its rare and lots of people want it, you charge more. If nobody wants to buy it, you start offering sales. Business 101.

Since when do dealers have to pay retail?

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Because clips are the only thing that people can break on a deus, if they're put on right they don't break.

I disagree. The plastic eventually fatiques. The spring should never have been made of plastic. They are a bad design that is just fated to break.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better question is why people complain about a few dollars more. Dont like it, buy it somewhere else. Im not use to a man complaining. Feel like i lost IQ points after reading the wah wah wah. I got an extra one you can have buddy.

What has happened to this forum? There is absolutely no call for a response like that! Nice way to chase people away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread