Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive read a few threads here and there and understand that as Deus owners we have a few options for headphones:

1. standard oem wireless puck, aka WS4 backphones. $250
2. wireless oem over the ear WS5 headphones. $300
3. oem wired backphones. $25
4. ws4 puck adapter ($25) allowing you to use any wired phones of your choice provided you already have the ws4 puck ($250).

My predicament:
I currently have the WS5's, bought my Deus as a kit, used, no warranty anymore.
I really like the WS5's. They're a bit bulky but the over the ear design is most comfortable to me for any duration.
They're also not very rain proof from what I understand.
And, one of the speakers on my pair of WS5s is cutting in and out. (havent investigated yet)

My question:
Why do I need to buy $300 dollar headphones to hear my tones when I already have the $600 remote?
Why cant I buy some less expensive but probably still slightly overpriced wireless headphones from XP that don't have a controller built in? Like some wireless headphones with only volume control for $99?

Last edited:

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a predicament. I bought my Dēus with the WS4 back phones. If I was in your shoes, I might consider them.

They're very lightweight and comfortable. A big advantage is they provide a back-up to your remote, enabling you to still use your detector with many of the features. Another plus is that if the purchase of another coil is in your future, you can also pick up a second telescopic pole assembly and then have two functioning detectors, using the remote with one and the WS4 with the other.

$250 is a good chunk of money though. XP sells wireless backphones for the ORX for $99. If they did that for the Dēus, how many WS4s would they ever sell?

OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a predicament. I bought my Dēus with the WS4 back phones. If I was in your shoes, I might consider them.

They're very lightweight and comfortable. A big advantage is they provide a back-up to your remote, enabling you to still use your detector with many of the features. Another plus is that if the purchase of another coil is in your future, you can also pick up a second telescopic pole assembly and then have two functioning detectors, using the remote with one and the WS4 with the other.

$250 is a good chunk of money though. XP sells wireless backphones for the ORX for $99. If they did that for the Dēus, how many WS4s would they ever sell?

So you're saying its a money grabbing scheme.

I have 4 coils and never used more than one at a time.
Plus, all my friends have their own detectors or two, too. Don't yours?
I don't need another remote.
I don't like the on-ear or in-ear type headphones, they're not comfortable to me as they make my ears hurt and give me a headache.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you're saying its a money grabbing scheme.

I have 4 coils and never used more than one at a time.
Plus, all my friends have their own detectors or two, too. Don't yours?
I don't need another remote.
I don't like the on-ear or in-ear type headphones, they're not comfortable to me as they make my ears hurt and give me a headache.

Being stuck with broken WS5's is a bummer but not really a money grabbing 'scheme' on XP's part because the ORX wireless phones are not nearly as capable as the WS4 Deus phones (more on that below). You are just victim to an unfortunate circumstance related to the limitations of the WS5 design vs. the WS4 design. Can't explain XP's short sighted design decision to provide the WS5 with such limited versatility (i.e., a non-removeable control interface) and a greater consequence in the event of failure of the audio components vs. the WS4's. To that point, I also don't understand why XP hasn't by now upgraded the WS5 design to offer the WS5's in a configuration where the WS4 puck can be married to either the backphones or to XP OEM over-the-ear phones and has opted to just let companies like Quest and Gray Ghost offer those 3rd party WS4 and ORX over-the-ear solutions as described below.

The brains of the Deus reside not in the remote control box, but in the coil and either the control box or headphones can manipulate key operational settings on the coil. Therefore, the Deus wireless phones (both WS4 and WS5) are more sophisticated than just wireless audio devices like BT headphones or proprietary wireless detector headphones. They are also designed to be able to be used with the coil standalone (i.e., without the control box) and that system flexibility inherent in and unique to the Deus design is the reason the coils and the remote control and wireless headphones cost what they do. The ORX wireless phones on the other hand are just "dumb" wireless audio devices without the WS4 LCD display and cannot be used standalone without the ORX remote nor can they be used to change coil settings, which explains the price difference between the wireless WS4 backphones and the much cheaper and less capable ORX wireless backphones.

At this point, based on lower priced capable competition, XP should consider whether the Deus price structure is economically sustainable for future sales, but that doesn't necessarily help folks who have already purchased a Deus, like yourself.

Anyway, you missed two other options. 1) Sending your WS5's off to XP Americas for repair which likely won't cost you an arm and a leg (get a quote and see link below) and another WS4 option if you find on-the-ear phones uncomfortable is a set of 3rd party over the ear headphones that can accommodate the WS4 puck like I briefly mentioned above. Quest makes an excellent pair for around $80 - $90 that are also water resistant and can also be plugged directly into the remote and used as simple wired passive headphones without the WS4 puck and should have been what XP offered as the over the ear OEM headphone option in the first place. Gray Ghost offers a similar solution but it is more expensive, has muddy audio (IMO) in comparison, is not water resistant, and lacks the passive wired headphone option available in the Quest design. There are other lesser known 3rd party WS4 compatible over-the-ear solutions but I have found Quest to be the best designed. BTW the ORX puck is removable and can also be used with these 3rd party over-the-ear headphones FWIW.

But yeah, unfortunately because you opted for WS5's, you will have to lay out additional bucks to buy into the WS4 solution options. You can also attempt to sell your WS5's standalone to defray the cost of a WS4 and 3rd party over-the-ear headphones, but WS4's tend to be more in demand on the used market for all tge reasons I have already mentioned.

Wishing you luck in finding the right so,ution to your problem. I know it's frustrating.

P.S, Check this thread out about someone who had a similar problem with out of warranty WS5's and Detector Electronics fixed tgem at no charge. YMMV.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/616895-headphone-repair-advice.html#post6302996

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being stuck with broken WS5's is a bummer but not really a money grabbing 'scheme' on XP's part because the ORX wireless phones are not nearly as capable as the WS4 Deus phones (more on that below). You are just victim to an unfortunate circumstance related to the limitations of the WS5 design vs. the WS4 design. Can't explain XP's short sighted design decision to provide the WS5 with such limited versatility (i.e., a non-removeable control interface) and a greater consequence in the event of failure of the audio components vs. the WS4's. To that point, I also don't understand why XP hasn't by now upgraded the WS5 design to offer the WS5's in a configuration where the WS4 puck can be married to either the backphones or to XP OEM over-the-ear phones and has opted to just let companies like Quest and Gray Ghost offer those 3rd party WS4 and ORX over-the-ear solutions as described below.

The brains of the Deus reside not in the remote control box, but in the coil and either the control box or headphones can manipulate key operational settings on the coil. Therefore, the Deus wireless phones (both WS4 and WS5) are more sophisticated than just wireless audio devices like BT headphones or proprietary wireless detector headphones. They are also designed to be able to be used with the coil standalone (i.e., without the control box) and that system flexibility inherent in and unique to the Deus design is the reason the coils and the remote control and wireless headphones cost what they do. The ORX wireless phones on the other hand are just "dumb" wireless audio devices without the WS4 LCD display and cannot be used standalone without the ORX remote nor can they be used to change coil settings, which explains the price difference between the wireless WS4 backphones and the much cheaper and less capable ORX wireless backphones.

At this point, based on lower priced capable competition, XP should consider whether the Deus price structure is economically sustainable for future sales, but that doesn't necessarily help folks who have already purchased a Deus, like yourself.

Anyway, you missed two other options. 1) Sending your WS5's off to XP Americas for repair which likely won't cost you an arm and a leg (get a quote and see link below) and another WS4 option if you find on-the-ear phones uncomfortable is a set of 3rd party over the ear headphones that can accommodate the WS4 puck like I briefly mentioned above. Quest makes an excellent pair for around $80 - $90 that are also water resistant and can also be plugged directly into the remote and used as simple wired passive headphones without the WS4 puck and should have been what XP offered as the over the ear OEM headphone option in the first place. Gray Ghost offers a similar solution but it is more expensive, has muddy audio (IMO) in comparison, is not water resistant, and lacks the passive wired headphone option available in the Quest design. There are other lesser known 3rd party WS4 compatible over-the-ear solutions but I have found Quest to be the best designed. BTW the ORX puck is removable and can also be used with these 3rd party over-the-ear headphones FWIW.

But yeah, unfortunately because you opted for WS5's, you will have to lay out additional bucks to buy into the WS4 solution options. You can also attempt to sell your WS5's standalone to defray the cost of a WS4 and 3rd party over-the-ear headphones, but WS4's tend to be more in demand on the used market for all tge reasons I have already mentioned.

Wishing you luck in finding the right so,ution to your problem. I know it's frustrating.

P.S, Check this thread out about someone who had a similar problem with out of warranty WS5's and Detector Electronics fixed tgem at no charge. YMMV.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/616895-headphone-repair-advice.html#post6302996

Thanks, V. Your advice is always appreciated and Im sure to take a moment to read your posts when I see one. I'll be sure to check with DEC.

But you kind of ran around the point here and then fell on it. They apparently can make basic wireless headphones that dont have all that extra controller stuff in there.... they did it for the ORX, but theyre not doing it for the Deus.

Yes its a great option for several reasons to have the ability to interface with the coil through the headphones, including contingency for battery failure... but, really, when was the last time you needed it? If you have the remote box do you need the ability to change settings with the headphone controller? No. Do you find it easy fumbling with controls you cant see or taking the backphones off when you want to change settings?

I like the Quest phones though, thanks for the info on those over the GG phones. I'll likely end up ordering the WS4 and the Quest phones while I sort out the WS5 issue. But only because I was going to pick up the 6" x35 coil and a Nox 800 to round out the collection.

Happy Hunting!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are good choices (Quest/WS4/800). I think the 9" X35 coil is the smallest option, not aware of a 6" XP coil.

I am really liking the ORX for relic hunting over the Deus at present because ORX gold mode is superior to the Deus GOLD FIELD program (it has been apparently been tweaked and optimized slightly vs. the Deus). The reason I mention ORX is that another option is to get the ORX package for about $650 (with a coil you don't already have) that way you have a backup to your Deus (including an extra stem and shaft) and it will cost not much more than getting a new coil and WS4 puck standalone (about $550 total), provided you can get your WS5's fixed at a reasonable price. You can still use the Quest phones with the ORX puck. Just a thought.

Anyway, you are right about having "dumbed down" wireless phones as an option for the Deus. Another thing that XP hasn't thought of or at least considered, apparently. I guess XP figures they won't sell as well as the "smart" wireless phones and for those who are looking to save money, they can just get the cheap wired phones.

Last edited:

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quest makes several other "universal" wireless headphone kits that would only cost from $150 to $90 new. Several dealers carry their full line. I have two sets of on the ear Quest headphones that come with a small transmitter. One has a 1/4 plug and the other has a 1/8 plug. I can plug the transmitter directly into my Deus, WS4 puck with adapter, ORX or WS puck with adapter. They work fine and are more comfortable than the WS4/WS back phones which really hurt my big head after about 45 minutes. They also make an over the ear set too which are the same as the ones custom made for the Deus/ORX without the receptacle for the puck controller. Each Quest headphone has independent volume control on one of the ear cups. The over the ear model has a 1/8 jack so you can hardwire them directly to the audio source if the battery runs out. I love mine. Hunting wirelessly with my Whites TDI SL and 24K is really nice.

Garrett Z Link would work too.

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread