XP Deus programs, tips for Virginia relic hunting?

stillwater

Mar 18, 2009
Sterling, Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Hey T'netters- I've used a White's MXT for quite a few years and have had more than my fair amount of success. Last spring, I sprung for the XP Deus and while I've had some good finds (mostly bullets which I love to dig), I just don't think I'm getting the most of it. I mostly hunt areas of northern VA, and places like the VA tidewater and everything in between (not much in the super iron 'hot' areas of Culpepper, etc. (where I understand that a pulse induction machine is almost the rule). These areas I hunt usually have a lot of iron in the ground. I've mostly stuck to using the standard programs #2 (GM Power) and #3 (Deus Fast) and I do a 'pumping ground' every time I come to 'different' ground'. My info so far has really come from the XP Deus videos (the British guy?). I think it was Smokey the Cat who said he uses the Deus Fast program in VA, but he does a tweak or two I believe. Would anyone have any advice on programs, settings, special tweaks that they've found to work in VA, NC or MD? Thanks fellow treasure hunters!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget special tweaks. You'll lose time and power. I have hunted Virginia for years now, from Tidewater to the mountains. I like the Deus fast program best. I always use the HF coil with it and go terribly slow in the thick iron. I generally use the higher 74 khz frequency and tracking balance. Even in the red dirt at Culpeper it holds its own and is the best machine for that purpose. A PI machine will waste your time digging nails and ration cans.

OP
OP
stillwater

stillwater

Mar 18, 2009
Sterling, Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Thanks for that info, Smokey... so, you think the HF coil is worth the extra spend?
Also, if your interested, we've a good small group of 9 to 12ish guys and gals doing a group hunt a couple hours from Richmond on the James River. Big property, hundreds of acres and I'd love to invite you for the weekend of 4/27-29. PM me on that if interested in the camp out.

Chris

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After I got the HF coil I sold the regular one and never looked back. Thanks for the invite, but it may be a little far for me to go. I have two cats that need insulin shots twice a day now.

gravityboy

Jul 18, 2018
Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900Di
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Fors CoRe
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Simplex+
XP Deus
Minelab NOX 600
Minelab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal experience - I do well with Garry's "Sifter" program in thick iron around moderately mineralized Fauquier County soil (not the nasty stuff). I would say that you basically want a "fast"-based program and just get used to listening for what is a likely target or not. I've dug a V nickel between two large square nails with that program but it was on my like 100th pass over the same 50' area so I started knowing what was iron halo 'mouse farts' and what was a good target in the thick of it all. My trick is to use fixed ground balance and keep to small, quick, repetitive strokes. The Deus will lock on pretty good when you repeat the same target I feel.

I do run the LF coil and in thick iron keep it at 17 khz - that seems to be good with the brass. I don't have the HF coil to compare though...

I know some here prefer pitch over full tones due to the horseshoe screen being more accurate but when I'm in the iron I'm going purely off sounds so I don't pay any attention to the ferrous/non-ferrous scale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread