First time out with the MI-6

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got out for some detecting yesterday. I loaned a buddy (local history buff) a Garret Ace 250, cheap carrot knock-off and Hori-hori tool, and we hit the site of a French and Indian War battle. It has been heavily detected but I was hopeful for a ball or a button, but only found some strange iron spike-like things (photos over on the "What is it?" section).

It was my first time really using my MI-6. I loved it! I did experience a glitch a couple of times, though. When I turned it on, I immediately heard a loud click or pop through the headphones, like a static noise, and then the pinpointer would not react. The control box screen would change over to the pinpointer screen but not do anything else.

Turning the pinpointer off and then back on would have things functioning normally. Curious.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No experet here, but some versions below V5.21 have connection issues.

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No experet here, but some versions below V5.21 have connection issues.

That could very well be the issue... I bought my Déus early last year and I use a Mac, so I haven't been able to give it the last update. I'll hook up with someone and get it done soon.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't had the glitch like you have, but I think I've got the latest update.

I really think that someday all detector companies will offer the connectivity as an option. I've had my Deus/MI-6 about two months now and it really is a great technology. No more trying to listen over the wind noise.

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had the glitch like you have, but I think I've got the latest update.

I really think that someday all detector companies will offer the connectivity as an option. I've had my Deus/MI-6 about two months now and it really is a great technology. No more trying to listen over the wind noise.

Yup. And I love the fact that it deactivates the coil while you're pinpointing. No more listening to noise when you set the shovel down too close or get hand digger too close to the coil.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As signal line said, upgrade to the latest version has it has cleaned up the annoying Mi6 connection glitches that plagued earlier versions.

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As signal line said, upgrade to the latest version has it has cleaned up the annoying Mi6 connection glitches that plagued earlier versions.

I'm a Mac user, so I'll have to wait until I can get a friend with a PC to help.

I just bought a new ham radio that needs a PC to run the programming software too, so I'm considering one of those Mac programs that allows loading and using Windows stuff on my MacBook. Problem is, I only have one computer, my older MacBook Pro, and the memory is getting close to full. And I'm not much of a computer person.

Now would be a very bad time to screw up my beloved MacBook!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a budget of about $100 you can get a PC on a stick that essentially runs Win10 with about 32GB of storage and an HDMI plug built in with a couple of usb ports to plug in peripherals (keyboard mouse, radio, detector). Plug into any modern monitor or TV with an HDMI input, plug in a keyboard and mouse and you are off and running on any of these Ham radio or detector upgrade programs which are small then put it away until you need it again. Cheaper than the license you need to run Win10 in emulator mode on your Mac.

Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Intel-...&qid=1586531399&sprefix=PC+ON+,aps,130&sr=8-7

I've seen el cheapo but usable Win10 laptops (refurbished) that you can buy for about $180 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Spin-...866387?hash=item3b3d05e2d3:g:gaIAAOSwKWhd0~2v

Last edited:
OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a budget of about $100 you can get a PC on a stick that essentially runs Win10 with about 32GB of storage and an HDMI plug built in with a couple of usb ports to plug in peripherals (keyboard mouse, radio, detector). Plug into any modern monitor or TV with an HDMI input, plug in a keyboard and mouse and you are off and running on any of these Ham radio or detector upgrade programs which are small then put it away until you need it again. Cheaper than the license you need to run Win10 in emulator mode on your Mac.

Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Stick-Intel-...&qid=1586531399&sprefix=PC+ON+,aps,130&sr=8-7

I've seen el cheapo but usable Win10 laptops (refurbished) that you can buy for about $180 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Spin-...866387?hash=item3b3d05e2d3:g:gaIAAOSwKWhd0~2v

Wow! The little computer stick is pretty interesting... that might be something I'd try.

Thanks very much for the advice. I appreciate it.

Bob

Last edited:
OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave in an bought an inexpensive laptop PC (Acer Aspire 5), got it set up, and immediately updated my Dēus. It was easy and went smoothly. Hopefully, I'll find out later today if it cures the little niggle with the IM-6.

After using a PC for my first 13 years of computer use and then switching to Mac for the last seven years, using the new Windows laptop is a bit confusing. I'll get the hang of it, no doubt, and will then be a proud "bi-lingual" computer klutz.

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did experience a glitch a couple of times, though. When I turned it on, I immediately heard a loud click or pop through the headphones, like a static noise, and then the pinpointer would not react. The control box screen would change over to the pinpointer screen but not do anything else.

Turning the pinpointer off and then back on would have things functioning normally. Curious.

Using my new laptop and updating to the current firmware seems to have done the trick. I had no issues with the pinpointer/detector during a five-hour outing yesterday. All good!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread