Looking at the Deus packages

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have decided to spend my windfall Government money on a new Deus.

I see lots of packages being offered on ebay. More than likely i will use one of the dealers here but i need to have a good idea of what i want.

So far, the WS5 headphones, mi6 pinpointer, a remote and the x35 9" coil look like a pretty good combo. Is their any reason to go with the 11 inch instead? also, am i missing any other goodies?

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. Personally I prefer the ws4's combined with the ws4 puck. Then you can use whatever headphones you want. The ws5's were loose on my head and didn't sound as good. The 11" coil IMHO separates just as good as the 9", and will get maybe an inch more depth. I highly recommend the remote and MI6. This will help you with what headphones sound like

Last edited:

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind environment do you generally hunt in?

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
67GTA said it well. The difference between the 11" and 9" X35 is not a big as the difference between the WS5 and WS4. Buying the WS5 means you will always have to use those headphones for audio and for volume control unless you don't use them at all and plug in directly to the larger remote controller. You would need some kind of inline volume control in that case. The WS5 small controller is built in and cannot be removed. With the WS4 you have many different ways to use the removable audio controller on the back phones including using it along with the horseshoe shaped audio adapter with ear buds, metal detector specific headphones, with the XP wired headphones which are quite good or with the WS4 back phones.

Jeff

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 9" HF coil and it feels tiny compared to the 11" when I'm swinging them. If separation is going to be your main concern, then go with the 9" X35. If I could only pick one coil, it would be the 11".

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt in the woods a lot and the 9" X35 coil is great for maneuvering around in the trees and brush. Plenty deep, IMO. The MI-6 is a wonderful addition to the Déus.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What kind environment do you generally hunt in?

I mostly hunt yards and parks for coins buttons and jewelry. My past few hunts have involved very large fields.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, i am confused. or are their two different kinds of ws-4 headphones? I see some people talking about ws-4 backphones and others talking about ws-4 puck headphones. some are talking about removing the controller and others are talking about removing the puck. Is the puck and controller the same thing?
If i buy the ws-4 headphones do i buy a puck as well?

Last edited:

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ws4's are the backphones. The adapter is an accessory for the ws4's to let you plug in wired headphones. The puck is what people call the part of the ws4's that comes off the back phones.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just do an internet search for xp ws4 adapter

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just got my Deus...had anxiety there would be a learning curve from my Garrett......I was surprised how well it was going

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the clarification on the WS-4 backphones.

I like versatility so the WS4 is the way i will go.

Now for the coil....9 or 11 inch. I would like to have both because i hunt large open fields but then hit super trashy yards and parks.

what if i got the 9 inch x35 and an 11 inch HF?

I noticed one package had two HF coils. 9 and 11

If i got the HF package maybe i could add an x 35 later?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the clarification on the WS-4 backphones.

I like versatility so the WS4 is the way i will go.

Now for the coil....9 or 11 inch. I would like to have both because i hunt large open fields but then hit super trashy yards and parks.

what if i got the 9 inch x35 and an 11 inch HF?

I noticed one package had two HF coils. 9 and 11

If i got the HF package maybe i could add an x 35 later?

Good choice going with the WS4's as 67GTA recommended. In addition to the "plate" adapter that allows you to plug any headphone into the WS4 puck, there are some great sounding over the ear headphone options you can plug the WS4 puck onto. My personal favorite are the Quest Deus compatible phones which can also be used as standalone plug in phones (they come with a connector cord) that you can plug into the remote, if necessary or any other detector. They are also water resistant so you can wear them in the rain.

Regarding coils, there is no 11" hf coil. For best all around coil I recommend the 9" x35, if you can only afford one coil. My personal favorite is the 9" hf. If you want HF frequencies and 11" coverage, I recommend getting a 9" round HF or 9x5 elliptical HF and the 11' x35 for the best of both worlds. I do not recommend the 11X13, too heavy for the Deus stem (causes the shaft to flex during swings) and doesn't provide ANY appreciable depth advantage vs. the 11" (since it is also an 11" width coil) and the additional swing coverage is NOT worth the added weight and stem stress IMO.

You can read my Deus coil deep dive here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/deus/588348-11-lf-coil-vs-x35-9-a.html#post5933355 though I have changed my tune on the 9" X35 and now recommend it as the best all around choice (though I personally still favor my 9" HF coil because we have been together for so long - lol) because XP has subsequently provided firmware updates that have lowered the chatter I originally experienced with my first X35 coil.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know of one dealer who still has some holiday specials left. 9" round HF and 11" X35 coils for the price of a regular remote/WS4 package. Don't know if I can post links here or not. PM me and I'll send you the link. You will have to add the MI6 to it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For me the Deus is my number one detector. I’m primarily a beach hunter and only use the HF Coils which I highly recommend.
On the HP, I have both the WS5 and WS4 and an extra shaft so I have two complete setups (detectors) that allows my wife to use one setup when we hunt together.
My preferred HP are the full WS5. Best of luck on your choices. Stay safe!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my opinions ...

I use 9" round coils because I hunt a lot of junkie & overgrown areas.
I tried a friends 11" coil once - almost impossible to use for my type of hunting - just to big.
On the other hand - for fields, beaches and big lawns the 11" coils extra ground coverage would be a huge plus.

As far as headphones go, I've owned a pair and tried some friends WS 5's and every set I've used sounded muffled - dull tones - like they had cotton packed in them.
Then I got a pair of "Deteknik" headphones from Andy S. - wow ... very clear, sharp tones, very comfortable, great headphones !

Good Hunting !

Last edited:

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also using the Quest over the ear Headphones for the WS4 pucks and really like them, however I feel they are going to be really hot this summer to wear and soon so may switch back to the XP backphones. The Quest headphones great for early Spring to late Fall hunting.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Quest phones are great from an audio perspective and they look good too because the puck slides into a recessed area on the phones so the puck looks like an integral part of the phones instead of sticking way out like on the Grey Ghosts and other similar WS4 puck compatible phones. I also recently got a pair of WS4 compatible phones from Detecting Doodads and like their comfort and audio just as well as the Quest phones, plus the ear cups can rotate and rest on your shoulders so you can use them like loudspeakers if is too hot for over the ear phones. Both Quest and Detecting Doodads phones come with a plug-in mini-jack and cable and can be used as a plugged-in wired passive headset for the Deus remote as a backup in the event the WS4 puck runs out of juice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread