SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector are you using? Nickels are right next the a pulltab beavertail on mine...

OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xp deus 11 inch coil ws5 headphones with latest update

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you planted some in a test garden and see how they read? I have to dig pulltabs to consistently get the nickels...

OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No,just air test.Pretty well got the same results with at pro ,yet i probably found about 6 of these nickles with at pro.Both of these detectors failed at air test with a tone that I would walk over in the field.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air tests tell you nothing other than whether your detector is basically working. If you want real life tones and Target IDs, you need to bury your test targets.

How hard the detector hits on various types of targets is also dependent on what frequency your detector is operating at, the recovery speed setting (called reactivity on the Deus), your tone setup (3, 4, 5, pitch, full) etc.

Unlike your AT pro, many of these settings are highly variable on Deus, You need to either tell us the pre programmed mode you are using or specific settings to provide more help.

Last edited:

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Air tests tell you nothing other than whether your detector is basically working. If you want real life tones and tdis, you need to bury your test targets.

How hard the detector hits on various types of targets is also dependent on what frequency your detector is operating at, the recovery speed setting (called reactivity on the Deus), your tone setup (3, 4, 5, pitch, full) etc.

Unlike your AT pro, many of these settings are highly variable on Deus, You need to either tell us the oreprogrammed mode you are using or specific settings to orovide more help.

Completely agree and plant some pieces of the old style of pulltabs as-well to see how your detector reacts.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, nickels hit pretty good but the older ones bleed into the soil a bit and are not as sharp a signal and require a slower sweep speed to catch them. They read a little lower, too, like 62. Mess around with the frequencies, etc, to find the best sound. Probably want a somewhat higher freq. to get the best response. 18KHz I can usually tell if it is a nickel because it gives a little more oomph.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, you need to recognize that depending on your ID Normalization setting (ID NORM ON/OFF in the Profile menu) TIDs will vary with operating frequency (ID NORM OFF) or will be fixed for all frequencies and normalized to the TID for that target as if operating at 18 khz. Target ID normalization is non-selectable and is always off if using an HF (white) coil.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I like my Deus but my Fisher F75 is a nickel machine. I have found Nickels with the XP. They run in the 62-64 range.

OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to maybe bury a couple of coins,thanks for the input

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Deus but my Fisher F75 is a nickel machine. I have found Nickels with the XP. They run in the 62-64 range.

So is my Equinox. But I have found plenty of V's using my Deus/Orx, so it is no slouch. Likes silver war nickels too, but that is a whole different ballgame.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry228, I have the X35 coil and hunt for coins using 25 kHz with ID Norm set to off. I’ve found that nickels really “pop” using 25 kHz and have a TID of 69 - 71. Check out this beauty that I found earlier this week.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586553996.102050.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1586554040.031545.jpg

OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice one.I believe now with them in the ground it will make all the difference .I found them once i should be able to find them again.Ground was thawing nice here till yesterday,cooled off ,not to much diggin will be happening here for a few more days.

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nickels

Found this V and buffalo. V had noTID, but the squeak was consistent. Finally got it to read at 62, Buffalo was a solid 63 before I dug it. V was down a good 12" and the Buff, about 4". IMG_2694.JPG 4082B73A-E361-4383-94F1-0A7406A7E891.jpeg

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found the Deus to be a great Nickel machine.

You must select "ID Norm" so you get the same target ID numbers in all the frequencies.
Then listen for solid sounding / clean breaking 63 to 64 range signals - Silver War Nickels will come in with a little higher target ID numbers - in 65 to 67 range.
You'll still dig some pull tabs and shotgun shell stamps now and then but after a while you'll usually be able to tell it's a Nickel before you dig it.

Good Hunting !

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that Terry is in Canada, so the older nickels he is talking about are 100% nickel (except the war years that were tombac and some in the 1950's that were steel), not a mixture of nickel and copper, like the US nickels. They will read different. Of course, the really old ones (pre-1922) are small silver coins and a lot more fun to find!

Scott

OP
OP
T

Terry228

Greenie
Apr 8, 2014
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is correct 100% nickel,Love finding those little silver nickles,waiting for the 21 to pop out.:headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread