Charging with cell phone back up

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it safe to use a 10000mw battery back up to charge deus, components in the field? Just courious.

Charging the XP Deus Coil/Remote/Headphones using a cell phone usb backup charging bank should not be an issue. It won't harm your XP components because they are limited to a 5VDC output and provide overcurrent protection, but sometimes the XP components don't draw enough change current to keep the charging bank from shutting off due to low current. So if your charge bank has a 1 amp output port and a 2.1 amp port, use the 1 amp port to make sure it doesn't shut off while charging. If all the ports are the same, then don't worry about it and see if it fully charges your stuff. If it doesn't, plug your cell phone into one the ports to keep the bank active while charging your XP stuff. The 10,000 mw spec you mentioned is not a typical charge bank rating since you specified it in power. Charge banks are typically rated by capacity as Wh (watt-hours) or more commonly mAh (milliamp-hours). A 10,000 mAh charge bank is equivalent to about 37 wH. Either way, should be more than sufficient to charge your Deus components in the field.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Theppgcowboy

Aug 15, 2017
Western Montana
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the reply. Yes I meant mAh. I was just wondering to see if the emergency field charger by deus was the only option. Your willingness to contrbute here indispensable.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...sometimes the XP components don't draw enough change current to keep the charging bank from shutting off due to low current.

I picked up a 25Ah power bank this spring for the purpose of charging my Dēus and the iPod I bring out in my boat. I did pick up a spare Dēus triple-lead charge cord to go with it. I haven't tried charging with it yet but I will top it off using the power bank today to see how it works.

Thanks for pointing out this potential issue. If it happened, I would have thought the new power bank was faulty!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use these charge banks to top off my Deus in the truck on the way to hunt sites, especially if I forget charge them the night before. Thanks for the kind words and for posting the topic, good question.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried using my power bank to top off the Dēus and it worked fine, with no shut-down from low draw. I used and recharged the detector last week. My coil was still fully charged while the control box took a little bit of a charge. The back phones, on the other hand, took a long time to top off... they were considerably discharged.

I really need to update the firmware. I think I'm going to break down and buy a Windows laptop this month.

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I think I'm going to break down and buy a Windows laptop this month.

Resistance is futile. You need to put your Apple down and join the dark side at some point Desmobob. It's not so painful once you get used to it.

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Resistance is futile. You need to put your Apple down and join the dark side at some point Desmobob. It's not so painful once you get used to it.

I started in computing with Windows 95 in... 1995.

I switched to a Mac in 2013 and swore I'd never go back to a PC. Well, up until this year, there was only one program I had on my PC that I couldn't get for my Mac. I managed to live without it. Last year, I bought the Dēus that required a PC for firmware updating. I figured I could work around that. This year, I have added two more electronic devices that can only be programmed with PC-based software.

It will be a struggle to learn Windows again but it will also be comforting to have a back-up laptop and more gigs of storage space. I ordered an inexpensive but well-reviewed Acer Aspire 5. I am not, and have never been, a "computer person" so this will be somewhat of a struggle. I already dread setting it up initially.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread