First time out with the Orx! My thoughts.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Well I was finally able to take some time off work and hit the beach. I got out early Monday morn, set the alarm for 5 and was at the beach by 6:30, turned on the Orx and started off in coin deep. She’s quite chatty in coin deep even when I turned down sensitivity from 95 to 90. When I was searching in the water it seemed like their was targets everywhere in coin deep mode until I started to hear the difference between actual targets and all the chatter. I have mild soil here and I’m hunting in fresh water so I don’t know why it was so chatty. ?? I eventually switched it to coin fast and it immediately was quieter, so quiet that i was now hearing nothing and thought I wasn’t hitting any targets very deep, but eventually started hitting pull tabs and bottle caps. Over all I’m quite impressed with the Orx. It doesn’t seem to miss much and I hit 3 beaches that I hunted out with my AT Pro and managed to pull out a 1943 silver quarter and 10 loonies. The Orx hits hard on our dollar coins, quarters, nickels and pennies, even better than the AT Pro, so I’m quite happy about that. As far as depth it is quite impressive. I was digging out dozens of pull tabs easily 15 to 16 inches deep and that was in coin fast. These beaches get hunted by other Detectorist’s and if I’m digging out pull tabs with the ORX, then my AT pro went right over them and they’re not hitting them either. I’m pretty pumped about that and how it hears a target that sounds so tiny and like it’s right at the surface but is actually deep. When I pull out a scoop of sand it gets a little louder and louder until you’re 4 or 5 scoops down. I need to play around with coin deep a little more, maybe I’m not doing something right if anyone knows let me know. Overall I’m happy I chose the Orx. Super light, I hunted 10 hrs in and out of the water without any discomfort in the shoulder or wrist. Sorry guys I didn’t take any photos of the beaches this time. Next time for sure. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1591746299.837636.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.

XP ported the Deus Deep Program over to ORX as Coins Deep and also the Deus Fast program as Coins Fast except that Orx unlike Deus has the Silencer filter turned on in Coins Fast whereas Deus Fast has the silencer filter turned off - you cannot independently turn silencer on or off on Orx. But if you want to run with no silence, choose Coins Deep, but it will be chatty.

The thing to know about the Deep program is that is was based on an older Deus signal processing software version (Deus 2.0 vintage software - Deus is on version 5.21 now). It tended to be able to give a stronger signal on deeper targets but at the expense of more chatter. Don't be afraid to dial back further on sensitivity if you need to (anywhere between 87 to 93 is the sweet spot, you don't gain much depth going higher and just increase the noise floor), but a couple of other things to try to tame Coins Deep is to adjust reactivity. A slightly higher reactivity can also reduce chatter some (and improve separation) with the tradeoff of perhaps not hearing some deep squeakers (although you might not hear them anyway with the all the other chatter) and make sure you do a ground grab to ensure you are properly balanced.

The Coins Fast program is based on the newer Version 4 Deus signal processing (version 5 which I mentioned previously merely provided Deus compatibility with the X35 coils with no real performance changes in target processing). It also implements variable silencer filtering. Silencer is like a secondary iron filter that breakS up iron signals and makes them more obvious - primarily helps on crowncaps. Again Ground Balance as necessary by doing a ground grab.

Finally, fiddle around with the different coil frequencies. The higher frequencies will hit harder on mid conductors and the lower frequencies are better for high conductive coins. Don't remember which coil you are running. Anyway, hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
OK.

XP ported the Deus Deep Program over to ORX as Coins Deep and also the Deus Fast program as Coins Fast except that Orx unlike Deus has the Silencer filter turned on in Coins Fast whereas Deus Fast has the silencer filter turned off - you cannot independently turn silencer on or off on Orx. But if you want to run with no silence, choose Coins Deep, but it will be chatty.

The thing to know about the Deep program is that is was based on an older Deus signal processing software version (Deus 2.0 vintage software - Deus is on version 5.21 now). It tended to be able to give a stronger signal on deeper targets but at the expense of more chatter. Don't be afraid to dial back further on sensitivity if you need to (anywhere between 87 to 93 is the sweet spot, you don't gain much depth going higher and just increase the noise floor), but a couple of other things to try to tame Coins Deep is to adjust reactivity. A slightly higher reactivity can also reduce chatter some (and improve separation) with the tradeoff of perhaps not hearing some deep squeakers (although you might not hear them anyway with the all the other chatter) and make sure you do a ground grab to ensure you are properly balanced.

The Coins Fast program is based on the newer Version 4 Deus signal processing (version 5 which I mentioned previously merely provided Deus compatibility with the X35 coils with no real performance changes in target processing). It also implements variable silencer filtering. Silencer is like a secondary iron filter that breakS up iron signals and makes them more obvious - primarily helps on crowncaps. Again Ground Balance as necessary by doing a ground grab.

Finally, fiddle around with the different coil frequencies. The higher frequencies will hit harder on mid conductors and the lower frequencies are better for high conductive coins. Don't remember which coil you are running. Anyway, hope this helps.

Great info thanks so much! I’m using the 9” HF round coil. I will definitely remember to do that next time out. I didn’t ground grab at all on my hunt. Both ground numbers were almost the same all day so I thought I didn’t need to ground grab. I’ll try that. Good to know about the coin deep program being more chatty. I’m gonna try lowering reactivity and sensitivity next time.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says in the Deus manual not to mess with the Reactivity at first. Targets sound different with the various settings. That's one of the more volitile adjustments. I mainly run at "2" or "2.5".

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says in the Deus manual not to mess with the Reactivity at first. Targets sound different with the various settings. That's one of the more volitile adjustments. I mainly run at "2" or "2.5".

For perspective, I'm at either of those 2 numbers of reactivity I would say 90 - 95% of the time and I hunt some trashy sites so I agree with Signal Line. Unlike Deus, however, you can only adjust reactivity from 1 to 3 (including 2.5) vs. Deus 0 through 5, so you really can't get into much trouble experimenting with the setting, frankly. The effect is pretty noticeable even with an air test target which is something I suggest you practice with so you can get used to the sounds when you are not actually hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Irishgoldhound

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I also noticed in water the gold modes threshold disappeared when the coil is underwater. As soon as I put the coil back on bare ground, the threshold started up again. Am I doing something wrong. ?? The Whites dual field threshold works underwater, shouldn’t my Orx?

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK.

I don't own an ORX but two of my friends do and it seems to be a very capable detector. They're doing extremely well at trashy sites using Coins Fast. Do we have any idea what level of silencer the ORX is running? I know that it's not adjustable, but it would be helpful if it was possible to draw a comparison between silencer level on the ORX and silencer level on the Deus.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own an ORX but two of my friends do and it seems to be a very capable detector. They're doing extremely well at trashy sites using Coins Fast. Do we have any idea what level of silencer the ORX is running? I know that it's not adjustable, but it would be helpful if it was possible to draw a comparison between silencer level on the ORX and silencer level on the Deus.

XP doesn't go into detail, but from what I can tell, it probably just defaults to the XP Deus Reactivity/Silencer defaults:

Deus Reactivity/Silencer (Actual) ver 5.2
0/3
1/3
2/2
2.5/-1
3/-1
4/-1
5/-1

Since Orx only uses reactivity settings of 1, 2, 2.5 and 3, that would mean that if Orx was following the Deus defaults, for a reactivity setting of 1, silencer would be 3 and for a reactivity setting of 2 silencer would be 2. For reactivity settings of 2.5 and 3 then silencer would be off (-1). But since XP hasn't published the actual settings anywhere (because the silencer is not a user adjustable setting on Orx), this is only a guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread