All Treasure Hunting

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand the struggle. The ORX is very easy to use. It's not a single knob, turn on and go detector but still very easy. Have you read the manual? There's only three steps to getting started.
1. Press the on/off button (upper left)
2. Turn on or off the internal speaker (single button press)
3. Select hunt Mode (press upper right button)

Start Hunting. If that doesn't find you anything, then you didn't swing the coil over any target.
If you have any specific questions, we can help with those.

OP
OP
Q

Quick draw mcgraw

Apr 25, 2015
San francisco
Detector(s) used
Compadre,8x pulse Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THANKS! I guess I fell into the trap of thinking that because I had this incredible machine that therefore I would find incredible treasures. Which I already have ,just not yesterday.

gravityboy

Jul 18, 2018
Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900Di
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Fors CoRe
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Simplex+
XP Deus
Minelab NOX 600
Minelab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go back and forth between my Tejon and the Deus - so not a comparison per se, but more of a "give it time" comment. XP machines can be remarkably easy to use if you don't over-think them. As Slick said above there's not much to worry about with the out-of-the-box settings and the machine does work, and work well. You'll take it into iron patches you could never take a Tesoro before.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Really, it is all about your personal preference and how you hunt.

I've had the CTX for 6 years after selling my Etrac after 2 years with it. My hunting buddy used the Tesoro Tejon during our many hunts together - and he always kicked my butt. And I'd even gone to Detroit for one of Andy Sabish's class rooms on the CTX....

So, I picked up a used Tejon here, and after using the Tejon for a season, I haven't used my CTX since.

Maybe just a personal preference involved - but why else is my CTX still in the closet? Maybe it was due to my 30 years before using beep & dig by sound before ever having my first "intelligent" machine.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a quick lunch hunt with my ORX and here is my advice for getting started - Might make an easy detector even easier

1.)When first starting using Program 3 only (Program 4 punches deeper 1 to 2" in my soil but unless your in at a site that is trash free I would stick to program 3 at first. Think of Program 4 as using a Vaquero/Tejon on high gain)
2.) Experiment with the Frequency but generally if I have too much "static" or noise I switch to from 14 to 54 khz and that in conjunction with step 3 resolves 99% of my noise overload)
3.) Assess where you are hunting and if it is an area with a moderate to heavy amount of trash don't be afraid to lower the gain/sens from 90 to 80 (yes you lose depth but it may also make your experience easier at first, then you can always hunt the spot again if you suspect there could be deeper targets >6". Basically emulates a Compadre)
4.) The ORX has some of the most stable vdi around IMO if your a coin shooter you can dig 60's and 90-95 - your 87-88 is a modern penny if its higher than 96 its probably not worth digging*
5.) listen for Iron grunts & utilize small wiggle method on and off a target. If you get any kind of grunt it's 98% garbage unless your relic hunting - I can call rusty bottle caps 90% of the time using this method which show 95 vdi.

I'm so glad I own the ORX with the MI6 pinpointer - I purchased the Simplex and its a great machine for $300 but it doesn't hold a candle to my ORX in my test garden or in the field. Even with the larger coil it doesn't punch as deep.

* higher than 96 and a small target I would always dig because I have found silver rings that ring up this high
** I rarely ever ground balance unless I suspect I am lacking depth or if I plan to be in a new field all day but generally it performs just fine for my needs at 90 in my soil.

HH

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand the struggle. The ORX is very easy to use. It's not a single knob, turn on and go detector but still very easy. Have you read the manual? There's only three steps to getting started.
1. Press the on/off button (upper left)
2. Turn on or off the internal speaker (single button press)
3. Select hunt Mode (press upper right button)

Start Hunting. If that doesn't find you anything, then you didn't swing the coil over any target.
If you have any specific questions, we can help with those.

You gotta swing over a target, and just about every machine will beep or respond in some way.
Discriminated-out, on a real smart machine like the ORX, will still show Something on the screen, even if no beep...or,
vicy-versy, right...?!
Anyway, Learn Your Machine, is good advice. And, maybe the Beep And Dig, might be a good starting point, where
you'll learn even more....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
And, maybe the Beep And Dig, might be a good starting point, where
you'll learn even more....

Yep, I absolutely agree. Don't let "modern" technology blind you to what beeping is all about.

You WILL miss treasure with your mind closed governed by whatever "technology" is out there today, tomorrow, and the future.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I’m having the same problem with my Orx. So used to my AT pro and I’ve found lots of gold with it. The Orx so far hasn’t gotten the goods yet. Still a bit frustrating how chatty it is and every target sounds small in tone. I guess I just need more time. It is awesome to swing.

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m having the same problem with my Orx. So used to my AT pro and I’ve found lots of gold with it. The Orx so far hasn’t gotten the goods yet. Still a bit frustrating how chatty it is and every target sounds small in tone. I guess I just need more time. It is awesome to swing.

I'm using the HF round 9 coil and it is quieter EMI wise than the X35 9 inch......tried both. Certain times of the day the EMI can be higher and in the city on 14.4 khz I haven't gone too far over 85 in sensitivity. I'm sure in the country one can push it to at least 90. With the Orx and Deus one has to tune your mind into listening for those small squeaks or tones for the coins.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I'm using the HF round 9 coil and it is quieter EMI wise than the X35 9 inch......tried both. Certain times of the day the EMI can be higher and in the city on 14.4 khz I haven't gone too far over 85 in sensitivity. I'm sure in the country one can push it to at least 90. With the Orx and Deus one has to tune your mind into listening for those small squeaks or tones for the coins.

Yeah I’m running the HF 9” round as well. I’ve been running sensitivity too high I guess. I don’t wanna loose depth but I guess that’ll be the trade off. I’ve been running it 90-96. Too high I guess

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rarely use the presets because the sensitivity is set way too high.....I don't think you can change and save them. I would have liked the designers to give the users at least 6 open slots to save programs instead of a couple. And then a way to scan them up and down instead of scrolling through all the slots.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I rarely use the presets because the sensitivity is set way too high.....I don't think you can change and save them. I would have liked the designers to give the users at least 6 open slots to save programs instead of a couple. And then a way to scan them up and down instead of scrolling through all the slots.

So if I’m running sensitivity 80 or 85 down from 95, am I loosing much depth?

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While running 85 sensitivity I pulled 8 inch wheat pennies....I usually back it off enough so it isn't falsing and causing issues.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your not finding much with your new ORX and your searching a place that you hammered with your copadre maybe you should find a new spot. The ORX is a much superior unit but only in an area that has something to find. Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread