XP DEUS alternatives!!!

Greek_Hunter

Jun 30, 2020
CT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I really would appreciate some help here gents. I've recently relocated back in the States and I just have to get out there and do some researching but I need a detector. I'm a Lorenz lover and that's the only machine I've ever used but I left that back abroad and my hunting friends are telling me to get the XP Deus. I'm holding back from ordering it because i wanted some opinions from within the States from hunters that use or used the Deus. Is it worth getting it or anyone suggesting something else? Not looking for dramatic depths but if there's something underneath with some bulk at 3 feet I would like it to scream at me. I'm told that the Deus will do plenty and not to difficult to learn it well. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Greek hunter let me be one of the first to welcome you to a very fine forum. Now finding something at three feet would have to be a good sized object. Can you give us more info to be able to steer you in the right direction. I also live in Ohio

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah three feet is a little deep unless it's a VW Bug. Are you only interested in cache hunting? What kind of soil do you have? Are you going to be hunting parks or homesites?

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also there are some youtube videos on using the GOLD FIELD program for deep targets.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've read a lot of great things about the Deus. It's a tad on the expensive side, but it's light and update capable. There's also the Equinox 800/600 and the AT Pro (Apex will be released soon). Whatever you decide, happy hunting!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Deus and had an Equinox. The Equinox could not complete with the Deus so I sold it. What I like about the Deus is the HF elliptical loop can snake into hard to get places. It is a killer in iron and for relics. It also gets great depth. Now for something 3' down, yes almost any machine will pick that up IF it's a huge target. The big two box machines will go that deep, but that's a lot of $$$. For something REALLY deep try renting a ground penetrating radar unit.

Last edited:

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you cache hunting or wanting to look for relics and coins??

There is a big difference in the type of .machine you were using compared to the Deus.

I am sure on a very large deep target the dues would pick it up.....but that is not really the type of detector the Deus was designed for.

It is however a most excellent machine. And if you take the time to get to know it you would be very happy.

Your friends suggested it as well.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there's anything 3 feet down that's worth looking for in the U.S. First, we don't have the history going back that far using anything made from metal that would be at that depth, and second, Everybodies too lazy to dig that deep to bury anything. :laughing7:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Deus and had an Equinox. The Equinox could not complete with the Deus so I sold it.

Respectfully, for years now you keep critiquing the Equinox like you actually owned and operated one for a significant amount of time. I remember your posts and you said you received it on March 19th, 2018 and had already resold it only 3 days later! You said you used it for about 15 minutes and it was hurting your shoulder so bad it wouldn't work for you (completely understandable), but you're misleading people with your knowledge of the operation of the machine.

You did it in another thread giving advice about the tonal nuances of Aluminum scrap and how you can't tell them with the Equinox. Had you actually given the machine time, you would have learned you can and wouldn't have given out bad advice. We know you don't like the Equinox, and that is perfectly acceptable, but you keep giving advice on a machine, frankly, you never even drained one batteries charge worth of use on.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No question the light weight of the Deus is a big selling point.

To the original poster: I saw a video some guy in Greece I think had the big coil on the Deus and was running GOLD FIELD program. Very deep. Can't find the video now, sorry.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually bought a second Equinox some time later and had it considerably longer. I made some changes to it. (I replaced the upper shaft with a Tesoro "S" shaft. It can't compete with the Deus, at least with relics, I haven't been to the beach all this year due to covid, so be nice. I did not keep the second one for years. They do work. Deus is better in my opinion.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually bought a second Equinox some time later and had it considerably longer. I made some changes to it. (I replaced the upper shaft with a Tesoro "S" shaft. It can't compete with the Deus, at least with relics, I haven't been to the beach all this year due to covid, so be nice. I did not keep the second one for years. They do work. Deus is better in my opinion.

You bought a second one after selling the first one? From the day you sold it up until the present, you've rarely missed a Equinox thread where you didn't criticize it's performance, not just it's comfort. And i never saw a single post saying you bought another one, did i miss that post(s)? Why would you buy another one when it's performance was so underwhelming and overhyped and so poor performing? (your words)

Here's your posts from the past couple of years (just the ones of you selling it, not the ones of you criticizing it the past two years which are too numerous to repost). Despite posting multiple times daily every day, there's no mention of ever buying a second machine or of selling a second machine. I'm thinking, since you test a lot of machines, you are just thinking of another machine you tried out:

Feb 2020 The Deus is fully charged.:tongue3: Remember, when I first saw the thing I thought it was a joke, and the price a laugh. Wrong. I owned an AT Pro. It was a decent machine, but I couldn't get used to it and sold it. I owned a 600. It was a decent machine, but this old cat is getting old(er) and it hurt my wrist, and since I already had a very light weight machine, didn't need it and sold it.

Mar 2020 Hype happens. That's a fact. Having owned Minelabs, White's and Garretts, I finally got an XP Deus. A little over a year later I got an Equinox. I no longer own the Equinox, any other Minelab, White's or Garrett's

Sept. 2019 JEALOUS! Having the Deus already, I bought a Nox but it didn't do as well in our hotter than hades ground around here so I sold it.

Sept. 2019: I had a Nox 600 and plain did not like it. It was not up to the job on my relic sites.

Dec. 2019. (Equinox) I sold mine as it didn't live up to the hype

Dec 2018: The Equinox performed well, but hurt my wrist so it went bye bye.

Oct 2018. Also I sold my Equinox and the Vaquero.

July 2018: I had to bail on the equinox because it hurt my arm to use it, and if mess that arm up, my MD career it just plain flat over.

Respectfully, did i miss a post or something? I'm thinking, since you test a lot of machines, you are just thinking of another machine you tried out. It's clear you only had one Equinox for a very short time a couple of years ago when it first came out.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And to the Op's question. I own the Equinox 600, i think i paid 550 or so after my military discount. I added a pair of low latency wireless headphones for 40.00 (they pair without any need for anything further, just turn them on and they automatically connect to the detector). $600 all in and i was set!

That was two years ago and it's still the best bang for the buck detector out there imo.

OP
OP
Greek_Hunter

Greek_Hunter

Jun 30, 2020
CT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He sold me my Lorenz when it first came out. He owns a store with detectors. Rare thing to be told the truth from a salesperson. He suggested to me now to go with the Deus. Firstly I want to say "WOW"!!! Wow to all the replies that I received from all of you and THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!! You guys are amazing! I wasn't to clear with the depth factor. I'm not so crazy about depth here but I sure hate to walk over a pot of coins and not hit it. But that's basically a European mentality as Tom Slick mentioned do to the history that's out there. I relocated recently back home (US) and this will be my first detector here. I will be hitting some rough soil in wooded areas and of course some lite fun beach pass timing so I can get into the US atmosphere and what it's soil hides. Just simply looking for a machine to get going with that won't let me down. You guys as I mentioned are ALL great with your responds and you've steered me a lot closer to the XP Deus. I'm really grateful to you ALL. I'm curious, is the Deus easy to master if one's devoted? And should anyone have something else to suggest, please do.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt post the second one. I dont' post everything.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt post the second one. I dont' post everything.

Well, one thing that's a constant, you never miss an opportunity to criticize the Equinox.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just didn't live up to the hype. It's a good all around machine. It does not walk on water and the Deus is better in iron. Ask Calabash and Vferrari if you doubt that. And I don't do parks...

Greek Hunter, back to your original question, I have been telling people for a long time to try to test drive a machine before you buy one. The AT MAX is also a good machine. It will depend on your pocket book and what YOU like best. See if you can try one of your friend's Deus's.

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XP ORX is about half the price of the Deus. Goes just as deep as they use the same coils. It lacks some of the additional adjustments of the Deus such as notch Disc. and tone adjustments. The ORX has three tones in the coin programs where as the deus has 2,3,4, Full, Pitch etc. The deus also has more recovery speeds on the low end and also has silencer adjustments. I think the Deus makes a better coin shooter but I feel the ORX can perform just about the same when hunting relics. For an outstanding all around detector, the Minelab Equinox is a great detector.
PS. I'd never put the AT Max anywhere near the Equinox as far as performance goes.

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just didn't live up to the hype. It's a good all around machine. It does not walk on water and the Deus is better in iron. Ask Calabash and Vferrari if you doubt that. And I don't do parks...

Respectfully, this is just deflection as no one ever said it walked on water. Hype? To be objective, a reflection upon your own post history would reveal a daily dose of Deus hype. I hesitate to even write that as this thread isn't about pitting the Deus against the Nox, both are outstanding detectors in their own right. My criticism maintains, and the accurate archives reflect, that you used a Equinox for a few minutes before selling it and to this day, never miss an opportunity to criticize it or worse provide unfounded advice on it's function as stated earlier.

Don't get me wrong, you are free to express your opinions, but on a forum, know that others are also free to call it out. Peace.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread