I’m starting to hate my Deus!!! Help please.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
It’s gotta be a bad coil. I’ve hunted around power lines in parks and fields and no issues. If it does the same thing in an area with no electrical interference, which I’m assuming you’ve tried, and it does the same thing then I would bet on it being something defective in the unit or coil. Have you tried switching up coils?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
..maybe also your ground is too hot for the mode you are using. I know when I use coin deep on the Orx on a lot of my ground it’s super chatty and basically unusable so I can only use the gold modes and coin fast.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt its the ground. The VA red dirt is 30% pure iron or so and the Deus slams it there! Reads about 85 or higher on the GB. So not dirt unless you are IN an iron mine.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am having serious emi issues with my new Deus(4 months). Let me start by saying that I have put in a lot of time trying to figure this out. I have tried all the frequencies and their offsets (11” x35 coil). I have played with sensitivity levels and the counterpart Tx power. I have raised and lowered Disc levels and audio response. I have tried everything including reading Andy Sabisch’s book, twice. The bottom line is that I can not get it quiet and if I get it close to quiet I can not pick up the deeper targets in my coin garden. To be functional I have had everything from unhuntable (underground powerlines) to crazy chatter in parks, a church with overhead powerlines and a wooded area with powerlines in the distance. The bottom line is even when I make it so dumb downed that I can use it, there is so much chatter that I can’t stand it after an hour. I did not buy this machine to only be able to use it in distant farm fields without any civilization nearby. I know my AtPro and especially my CTX and my Excal very well. I was hoping to enjoy the weight and the reactivity speed of the Deus in some Civil War areas I have but at this point I’m hesitant to make the hike into this area because I know there are high voltage lines in the area. Please tell me I’m doing something wrong or at least there is something wrong with my machine. Thanks in advance.

Software Version: What version software are you running? You should be on the latest which is 5.21, I believe. Early version of the V5 software resulted in chatty X35 coils.

Mode: It would really be helpful if you simply described the base mode you were using or all your setting. Note that Deep mode is also a pretty chatty mode compared to all the other non-Gold Field preset programs. So if you are basing your custom programs off Deep, that could have something to do with it.

Tones: You never mentioned if you were using multi tones, full tones, pitch, or Gold Field mode which uses VCO audio with threshold. The tones setup is important because what you may be experiencing is sensory overload from something such as full tones instead of EMI.

Reactivity: Also, you never said if you varied reactivity - higher reactivity levels (2, 2.5, 3) can lower chatter. Go even higher then that to see if it gets even less chatty. Anything above 3, though will really limit your ability to hear faint/deep targets because the target pulse will be so short.

Thank you that’s a good tip. Unfortunately, I have already found that one and I forgot to mention I do this every time. Andy has a section in his book about it. Thanks for the reply though.

Good.

Good catch, yes I am. However, I just went out in my parents yard with no phone ( I even took my watch off) and it made zero difference. This is a large yard where I just helped out my Dad and used my CTX a month ago on Manual 27 with no disc and had no noise. Today I settled on 26khz (offset), I notched 97-99, the Tx power is on 1, I ground balanced pumping to an 80 (it’s not mineralized soil), the sensitivity is down to an 80 ��, the iron volume is on 0 and the disc is on 10. I’m not saying I can’t find 4” pennies with it but the sensory overload is so much I won’t be able to handle it long. I bought this through Kellyco and it was shipped directly from XP in France. If I had been able to test this one and this was the outcome I would have never purchased this machine. Oh yeah, lastly, the coil cover is clean. I am thinking of buying the HF coil but honestly I am hesitant to invest another $300 in something that seems to not work in the places I hunt. Last thoughts? Thank you for taking the time to help.

So you did proper coil initialization - CHECK

You properly ground balanced - CHECK

You lowered sensitivity - CHECK (80 is not too bad, but you should still be able to find sites where you can run right around 88 to 92 sensitivity which is the sweet spot. Anything above 92 gets you miniscule depth at the expense of a lot of noise, below 80 to 85 you really start losing significant depth).

Sensitivity vs. TX Power: No need to lower Tx power unless you are in mineralized soil. Keep it at the default. Adjust Sensitivity down for EMI, Tx Power down for Mineralization. You should use Tx power (raise it) if you need to lower sensitivity for EMI or raise Sensitivity if you need to lower TX power for Mineralization to minimize depth loss. Usually no need to lower both unless you have high EMI AND high mineralization. In which case, the site better have something worthwhile on it (and not too deep), to make it worth it.

Calabash, I see on your videos that you like the 9x5hf, a lot of my civil war finds have been deep bullets 10-12” down. Do you think that either of the 9” HF coils can handle that? Big elliptical is out because of thick woods. Thanks and I like your show.

Just demonstrated that kind of depth performance with several Deus machines with various coils that Andy Sabisch and I set up for a relic hunt over the weekend. Easily hit bullets, with pitch tones, at 8" in moderate mineralized dirt with both X35 and HF coils at 12 - 14 khz and even 25 -28 khz (latter was right at the edge of detection at 8").

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, yes I realize it’s from EMI. My question is what to do when I can’t avoid it??? Surely a machine this expensive and revered is not ONLY used when they are far away from any modern electrical source. If so, I want a refund and I’ll just take my CTX. Thanks for trying to help.

Yes. The Deus like any machine can be susceptible to EMI, but not more so than other machines, and certainly not EVERYWHERE I have hunted. There are some severe locations and it really doesn't like all the WiFi in my neighborhood, but I can hunt neighborhood fields and playgrounds just fine, surrounded by houses and townhomes within a few hundred yards. If you have tried all the above (including confirming software version, mode, reactivity effects as I described above), the likely culprit is a faulty coil and you should see if you can borrow another person's coil and pair it to your machhine (HF or X35, especially if you are contemplating an HF coil) to see if it is the coil. If you can't do that, simply contact XP Americas support for service instead of banging your head against the wall with regret. At the end of it all, some folks just get sensory overload with the Deus tones and it is just not a good fit. Rare, but it happens. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-and-repairs&usg=AOvVaw35fEeCdiRU7gCbRODUZk_j

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Software Version: What version software are you running? You should be on the latest which is 5.21, I believe. Early version of the V5 software resulted in chatty X35 coils.

Mode: It would really be helpful if you simply described the base mode you were using or all your setting. Note that Deep mode is also a pretty chatty mode compared to all the other non-Gold Field preset programs. So if you are basing your custom programs off Deep, that could have something to do with it.

Tones: You never mentioned if you were using multi tones, full tones, pitch, or Gold Field mode which uses VCO audio with threshold. The tones setup is important because what you may be experiencing is sensory overload from something such as full tones instead of EMI.

Reactivity: Also, you never said if you varied reactivity - higher reactivity levels (2, 2.5, 3) can lower chatter. Go even higher then that to see if it gets even less chatty. Anything above 3, though will really limit your ability to hear faint/deep targets because the target pulse will be so short.

Good.

So you did proper coil initialization - CHECK

You properly ground balanced - CHECK

You lowered sensitivity - CHECK (80 is not too bad, but you should still be able to find sites where you can run right around 88 to 92 sensitivity which is the sweet spot. Anything above 92 gets you miniscule depth at the expense of a lot of noise, below 80 to 85 you really start losing significant depth).

Sensitivity vs. TX Power: No need to lower Tx power unless you are in mineralized soil. Keep it at the default. Adjust Sensitivity down for EMI, Tx Power down for Mineralization. You should use Tx power (raise it) if you need to lower sensitivity for EMI or raise Sensitivity if you need to lower TX power for Mineralization to minimize depth loss. Usually no need to lower both unless you have high EMI AND high mineralization. In which case, the site better have something worthwhile on it (and not too deep), to make it worth it.

Just demonstrated that kind of depth performance with several Deus machines with various coils that Andy Sabisch and I set up for a relic hunt over the weekend. Easily hit bullets, with pitch tones, at 8" in moderate mineralized dirt with both X35 and HF coils at 12 - 14 khz and even 25 -28 khz (latter was right at the edge of detection at 8").

Yes. The Deus like any machine can be susceptible to EMI, but not more so than other machines, and certainly not EVERYWHERE I have hunted. There are some severe locations and it really doesn't like all the WiFi in my neighborhood, but I can hunt neighborhood fields and playgrounds just fine, surrounded by houses and townhomes within a few hundred yards. If you have tried all the above (including confirming software version, mode, reactivity effects as I described above), the likely culprit is a faulty coil and you should see if you can borrow another person's coil and pair it to your machhine (HF or X35, especially if you are contemplating an HF coil) to see if it is the coil. If you can't do that, simply contact XP Americas support for service instead of banging your head against the wall with regret. At the end of it all, some folks just get sensory overload with the Deus tones and it is just not a good fit. Rare, but it happens. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-and-repairs&usg=AOvVaw35fEeCdiRU7gCbRODUZk_j
That was definitely the most thorough and technical reply I have ever received on a forum. 👍 Half way through I stopped reading to check your name thinking, “I want to be friends with this guy”. 😃. Thank you very much for taking the time. You (and others) have given me some hope about the Deus again. I am out of town until Friday but I can’t wait to get back and try some of the things I had not thought of yet. Thank you all again very much.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Little HF coil Smokey uses is very good at handling EMI... I used one in a site that rendered most detectors useless.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
V and callabash, smokythecat are some of the few that know what they are talking about! Myself included LoL, Callabash is the test garden master and V has knowledge like NO other! Smoky has some great words of advice although I disagree on the NOX 800 ;0)
Me welp Years with the Deus and other detectors before that :)

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a few machines so this isn't probably the issue but I'll throw it out there anyways. Make sure your coil wire wraps around front of your shaft and not the back of your shaft first, otherwise your coil can be picking up the wire in the cable and if not that, it sounds like a bad coil or bad wire to the coil or a loose or bad connection to control box. I had a cracked coil that I couldn't see that was acting that way, sent it in and the technician found out the coil was cracked, they replaced free of charge.

Seriously? I've heard that advice, but always took it as a joke, like relative bearing grease, left-hand squeegees, buckets of steam, and metric adjustable wrenches.

Please explain how that works, if it isn't a joke.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did not see where anyone mentioned a few things. Let me try. There are places where my deus's go crazy. Some times there are under ground wires to transformers, Some times there is underground dog fence wires,. Make sure there are no electrical interference. When your out in the farm fields i think you posted no problem. You might try where your getting the interference with out making any changes to the Deus just hold it the same and walk around in different directions and see if interference changes . Let us know

Excellent advice. I can't use my Deus in my yard without turning sensitivity WAY down. I live on a street corner with power lines crossing at 90 degrees, and a power transformer on the pole. Its just plain nuts. My Equinox is almost useless here as well. But get me into a farm field and my Deus is the only detector I want to use.

Last edited:

CZKidd

Dec 12, 2018
NW FL
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI Beach Hunter
Equinox 800, Equinox 600
XP DEUS, XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Don’t forget to adjust your silencer setting after adjusting the reactivity. Can get very chirpy. I to have no issues with the DEUS with either coil x35 or Hf coils, under power lines. Will say Hf coils can run quieter.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my Deus especially for hunting behind a couple brands and all PI machines, especially almost touching electric fences (sometimes there is that intermittent buzz, but it will still sound off on a target,) I have used it under the standard power supply lines on streets, and within 3' of above ground home transformers. Among other places. I even used it within 100' of those 334,000 high tension lines, so I would go with what vferrari says with making sure you have the latest upgrade in the machine before you do anything else. I used the regular stock coil and HF elliptical under the conditions I listed. There is something amiss for sure because one of the FIRST places I go look is near anything electric and within 5' of any modern road! That's where the Confederate buckles live! Even in that bad Virginia red dirt, where folks can't use a PI machine near a power source, my machine kicks butt. And NEVER notch. One of my best gold coins came in at a "96".

BTW my favorite program is "Deus Fast", 74 khz with the HF coil, tracking balance and no other adjustments. Sometimes I drop the frequency lower, but the results don't seem to be much different.

Last edited:

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got power lines over various parts of my property and have never had a problem with chatter, at all. I'm not an expert like the others but have been using the Deus since March.

I started out using the Fast program with factory presets for months. No HF coil though I would like one. Then I switched to Deep and and am finding all kinds of things I missed with Fast.

The soil here has tons of iron and it doesn't interfere at all. I hear every whisper with this machine. The only time it really chatters is when I leave the pinpointer on (Garrett Carrot). I switch it off and the chatter is gone.

The Deus is the love of my metal detecting life. Everything about it is effortless. An incredible machine.

OP
OP
B

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am home now and got to check some things. First of all, I have version 5.21 so that’s not the issue. I have the reactivity at 2.5. I was really interested in what you said about base programs. I did make my program off of the “Deep” program. When I got home I made a program based off of the Fast program (#3) and left everything else exactly the same. All the way down to the 5 tones frequencies, reactivity 2.5, silencer 1, iron volume 00, no notch, sensitivity 80, Tx power 2, disc 10, frequency 17297, audio response 4. The only thing different at all is I made the original on the Deep and the new one on the Fast. I went outside in my coin garden and turned on (correctly) the machine. The one off of the deep was very loud from emi. I switched to the other one off of fast and danged if it didn’t get significantly quieter! I was even able to raise the sensitivity to 85 after a bit and find it huntable. So first of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the tip. Second of all, can you tell me why this is happening. I assumed that if every variable on the machine matched that it would perform the same. This is obviously not the case and I’d like to understand why. Lastly, I am going back to a Civil War permission I have tomorrow. The last time is when I had to put the Deus back in the car, I’m excited and would welcome any other tips you might be willing to share about the Deus. Thanks again.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The fast program is much quieter than the deep. If you have really bad ground or trashy ground, deep is gonna be very chatty. Fast program can get more depth if you lower your reactivity and increase sensitivity and swing a little slower.

OP
OP
B

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fast program is much quieter than the deep. If you have really bad ground or trashy ground, deep is gonna be very chatty. Fast program can get more depth if you lower your reactivity and increase sensitivity and swing a little slower.

Yes but, WHY when every variable is the same?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but, WHY when every variable is the same?

The Deep program is the only program on the Deus that uses the legacy Deus version 2.0 software signal processing. The Version Deus 2.0 signal processing enhanced deep targets but at the expense of stability which manifests as a sparky/chatty/noisy machine (I believe it is discussed somewhere in Andy's book). All the other preset programs (beside Deep and Gold Field) use Deus version 5 signal processing. So if you set up say Deus Fast, Basic and Dry Beach etc. with identical settings, they will respond identically. Not so with the Deep program. Gold Field is also a completely different signal processing mode that uses iron audio rejection versus discrimination and lacks tone ID (similar to pitch) and also has a threshold setting to detect targets on the edge of detection that manifest as silencing or disturbing the constant threshold reference audio. HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Deep program is the only program on the Deus that uses the legacy Deus version 2.0 software signal processing. The Version Deus 2.0 signal processing enhanced deep targets but at the expense of stability which manifests as a sparky/chatty/noisy machine (I believe it is discussed somewhere in Andy's book). All the other preset programs (beside Deep and Gold Field) use Deus version 5 signal processing. So if you set up say Deus Fast, Basic and Dry Beach etc. with identical settings, they will respond identically. Not so with the Deep program. Gold Field is also a completely different signal processing mode that uses iron audio rejection versus discrimination and lacks tone ID (similar to pitch) and also has a threshold setting to detect targets on the edge of detection that manifest as silencing or disturbing the constant threshold reference audio. HTH
Now THAT is a great answer! Thank you very much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread