I’m starting to hate my Deus!!! Help please.

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I am having serious emi issues with my new Deus(4 months). Let me start by saying that I have put in a lot of time trying to figure this out. I have tried all the frequencies and their offsets (11” x35 coil). I have played with sensitivity levels and the counterpart Tx power. I have raised and lowered Disc levels and audio response. I have tried everything including reading Andy Sabisch’s book, twice. The bottom line is that I can not get it quiet and if I get it close to quiet I can not pick up the deeper targets in my coin garden. To be functional I have had everything from unhuntable (underground powerlines) to crazy chatter in parks, a church with overhead powerlines and a wooded area with powerlines in the distance. The bottom line is even when I make it so dumb downed that I can use it, there is so much chatter that I can’t stand it after an hour. I did not buy this machine to only be able to use it in distant farm fields without any civilization nearby. I know my AtPro and especially my CTX and my Excal very well. I was hoping to enjoy the weight and the reactivity speed of the Deus in some Civil War areas I have but at this point I’m hesitant to make the hike into this area because I know there are high voltage lines in the area. Please tell me I’m doing something wrong or at least there is something wrong with my machine. Thanks in advance.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you probably have an issue with the coil unless you live downtown New York city or L.A. Do you have another coil you can try? Can you borrow a coil from someone else? You shouldn't be having that much emi problems.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a few machines so this isn't probably the issue but I'll throw it out there anyways. Make sure your coil wire wraps around front of your shaft and not the back of your shaft first, otherwise your coil can be picking up the wire in the cable and if not that, it sounds like a bad coil or bad wire to the coil or a loose or bad connection to control box. I had a cracked coil that I couldn't see that was acting that way, sent it in and the technician found out the coil was cracked, they replaced free of charge.

timmysys

Nov 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites Surf Dual Field, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus2
You have a few machines so this isn't probably the issue but I'll throw it out there anyways. Make sure your coil wire wraps around front of your shaft and not the back of your shaft first, otherwise your coil can be picking.... .

The Deus is wireless, no cable. The damage of coil is possible.
I use this coil too, a little chatter is normal. If you have a friend with Deus nearby, try with other coil for compare.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did not mention that you hold the coil three feet off the ground away from any metal for 15 seconds when starting up. This is noise cancelling.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my Deus long enough the warranty has now expired. Never an issue with emi. The ONE time there was even a hint of an issue, there was a HUGE city owned transformer 50 away and it would sound off a little then. I hunt under the 334,000 volt lines, next to electric fences, everywhere. No problems.

Do you have another coil to switch out? If its under warranty, you might call the rep as you may have warranty on it. All my friends have now switched to the Deus and no one is having this problem.

OP
OP
B

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did not mention that you hold the coil three feet off the ground away from any metal for 15 seconds when starting up. This is noise cancelling.

Thank you that’s a good tip. Unfortunately, I have already found that one and I forgot to mention I do this every time. Andy has a section in his book about it. Thanks for the reply though.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HF coil is more EMI resistant than the x35.... send the X35 in for a check up....I had a x35 coil and sold it...to much chatter....

OP
OP
B

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you carrying a cell phone with you when you are having this problem?

Good catch, yes I am. However, I just went out in my parents yard with no phone ( I even took my watch off) and it made zero difference. This is a large yard where I just helped out my Dad and used my CTX a month ago on Manual 27 with no disc and had no noise. Today I settled on 26khz (offset), I notched 97-99, the Tx power is on 1, I ground balanced pumping to an 80 (it’s not mineralized soil), the sensitivity is down to an 80 😳, the iron volume is on 0 and the disc is on 10. I’m not saying I can’t find 4” pennies with it but the sensory overload is so much I won’t be able to handle it long. I bought this through Kellyco and it was shipped directly from XP in France. If I had been able to test this one and this was the outcome I would have never purchased this machine. Oh yeah, lastly, the coil cover is clean. I am thinking of buying the HF coil but honestly I am hesitant to invest another $300 in something that seems to not work in the places I hunt. Last thoughts? Thank you for taking the time to help.

OP
OP
B

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, I see on your videos that you like the 9x5hf, a lot of my civil war finds have been deep bullets 10-12” down. Do you think that either of the 9” HF coils can handle that? Big elliptical is out because of thick woods. Thanks and I like your show.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try running higher Ground Balance, too low will cause much chatter.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only use the HF coil now. A coin at 8-10" is not a problem. Here our soil is very, very hot. The HF will get stuff other machines only dream of.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How about clearing all the programs and just going with the factory pre-sets? Clear your mind too and start fresh. I don't use anything other that the pre-sets. Its a calm hunt for me every time.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the HIGHER FREQS with X35 coil.....same problem I had with it....Get a hf coil for the higher freqs….
Yes the HF coils will hit deep bullets... I have one a foot deep in my garden and it smacks it...

boondocks you can send me your remote and I will pair it to my HF coil and shoot a video of it in my HIGH EMI test garden....

One more thing NEVER notch 97 to 99 on the Deus....NEVER! I know some try to say that you need to do that.....It is a bad error on their part...

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
HF 9” round coil is pulling out some deep stuff off my beaches. I used the At pro for yrs on these beaches and now I’m going back over with the HF and pulling out old beaver tail pull tabs that my At pro did not see. I can get repeatable whisper signals in the wet sand on my fresh water beaches and pull out tabs easily 15-18” down with this coil. Bottle caps even deeper.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Irishgoldhound, I noticed with the latest software upgrade and using wet beach mode, the falsing is down 90% and the depth has increased three fold, you notice that?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not see where anyone mentioned a few things. Let me try. There are places where my deus's go crazy. Some times there are under ground wires to transformers, Some times there is underground dog fence wires,. Make sure there are no electrical interference. When your out in the farm fields i think you posted no problem. You might try where your getting the interference with out making any changes to the Deus just hold it the same and walk around in different directions and see if interference changes . Let us know

OP
OP
B

Boondocks

Greenie
Jun 1, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not see where anyone mentioned a few things. Let me try. There are places where my deus's go crazy. Some times there are under ground wires to transformers, Some times there is underground dog fence wires,. Make sure there are no electrical interference. When your out in the farm fields i think you posted no problem. You might try where your getting the interference with out making any changes to the Deus just hold it the same and walk around in different directions and see if interference changes . Let us know

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, yes I realize it’s from EMI. My question is what to do when I can’t avoid it??? Surely a machine this expensive and revered is not ONLY used when they are far away from any modern electrical source. If so, I want a refund and I’ll just take my CTX. Thanks for trying to help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions