Upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Teknetics 2 SE
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello all,
I’m thinking of getting another XP after selling mine years ago. I currently own a Equinox 600, E-Trac, and a teknetics T2 SE. I wanted some input on the new software versions that have come out. Can you go back to older version of software with a new machine? Or do you feel the new software improved the machine? I mostly hunt fields, cellar holes and old sites in general ....thanks.

BobTheDigger

Jul 7, 2016
SW PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the new Deus comes with the x35 coils now, which require v5.2 of the software. You cannot go back to the older versions of software with the x35 coils. I believe they discontinued the original LF coils that came with it before. I have the original 11" LF coil and a 9" HF coil and both are great with v5.21 software. From what I hear the x35 coils are great and I plan to get one soon.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the new Deus comes with the x35 coils now, which require v5.2 of the software. You cannot go back to the older versions of software with the x35 coils. I believe they discontinued the original LF coils that came with it before. I have the original 11" LF coil and a 9" HF coil and both are great with v5.21 software. From what I hear the x35 coils are great and I plan to get one soon.

Yes that's correct. The new X35 and HF coils only work with v5.21 and they no longer offer the original LF coils. What was the last version you used? The newer coils have a broader frequency range.There are absolutely no cons to the upgrade, only improvements and added features. There was nothing lost except some changes to the program filters. Deep program uses the V2 filters. Hot program uses V3 filters. Deus Fast uses V4 filters. You can still use one of them for a base for customizing a program for yourself if one of the earlier versions had something better that I'm not aware of.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that's correct. The new X35 and HF coils only work with v5.21 and they no longer offer the original LF coils. What was the last version you used? The newer coils have a broader frequency range.There are absolutely no cons to the upgrade, only improvements and added features. There was nothing lost except some changes to the program filters. Deep program uses the V2 filters. Hot program uses V3 filters. Deus Fast uses V4 filters. You can still use one of them for a base for customizing a program for yourself if one of the earlier versions had something better that I'm not aware of.

Agree with 67GTA and Bobthe Digger except the information regarding the filters. I am only aware of V2 filters/processing on Deep and V4 processing/filters on everything else (including Hot) except for Gold Field which is a whole different process that uses iron rejection filtering instead of discrimination. My info comes from Andy Sabisch's latest Deus handbook on pp. 68 and 69. I know there was a lot of conflicting information out there on Hot and Deep before Andy got XP's input on his book to supposedly set the record straight. But would be interested if you have other information on this, 67GTA. The Deep program filtering enhances deep targets but the tradeoff is less stability that manifests as chatter. Thanks.

Last edited:

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was basing it off Gary's introduction of V4. It is at the very end of the video. That was from 2017. If Andy got the info straight from XP then that might supersede Gary's video. I can't find any info from XP documenting the filter changes. Maybe V5 changed it again? I haven't read Andy's book.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was basing it off Gary's introduction of V4. It is at the very end of the video. That was from 2017. If Andy got the info straight from XP then that might supersede Gary's video. I can't find any info from XP documenting the filter changes. Maybe V5 changed it again? I haven't read Andy's book.

So that's like the information coming directly from XP. Thanks for digging that up. I do know that the settings on the Deep and Hot are definitely from Gary's recommendations and XP put those presets on the V4 release in deference to Gary and all he has done to promote the Deus with his videos - he obviously has a business relationship with XP now. At the Deus bootcamp sessions, Andy has had skype link ups with Gary and Alain Loubet (XP's Founder and CEO) and I do know that sometime's Gary can get fuzzy on some of the technical details. Since Andy wrote his book with the full endorsement of XP (they include a copy of his book in the Deus's sold in Europe) and it was published after V5 was released, I suspect the book information is the most accurate and up to date. In fact, I suspect there really is not that much different, if anything, in the V3 and V4 filters after all. V4 and v5 was more about providing compatibility for the new hardware (HF coils, wireless pinpointer, X35 coils) and their associated features and improved ground tracking than it was about tweaking the actual signal processing over V3. Just like some of the other manufacturers, like Minelab, I think they do not do a great job at directly communicating details such as this clearly to the user base because they are more interested in marketing than teaching, and that just results in confusion on these fine point details. Thanks again for posting the video.

Last edited:

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I'm really curious! I wonder if XP would respond and clear all of this up. I will try and contact them. I suspect it doesn't matter except to a small group of detecting nerds anyway LOL. I agree, there isn't a dollars worth of difference in the different filters. It was mostly just changing the audio response. There wasn't a major update to the way the detector works. I have seen people almost fight to the death over Deus firmware versions. Reminds me of the vinyl audiphile arguments. Vinyl definitely sounded different, but not superior to newer lossless audio formats.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree with you on analog vs. digital and being able to audibly tell the difference vs. the subjective audio quality arguements beyond using an O scope - but your brain does pick up subtle cues in analog and digital filtering.
I do definitely detect a difference between Deep and Fast as far as chatter is concerned. In fact I think XP uses those two different filters on the Orx Deep and Fast coin programs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CTX Tom

Jul 5, 2012
Upstate,NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Teknetics 2 SE
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for your input!

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it's official! Just got an email back from XP. They said the Deep program was the only one still using older filters, although they say it is based on V3.2 filters. All other factory presets were updated with the newest filters since V4.1. To the OP, don't let this change your mind because as me and Vferrari were discussing, this only changes the way the silencer software filters the audio.
Screenshot from 2021-01-10 09-05-43.png

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it's official! Just got an email back from XP. They said the Deep program was the only one still using older filters, although they say it is based on V3.2 filters. All other factory presets were updated with the newest filters since V4.1. To the OP, don't let this change your mind because as me and Vferrari were discussing, this only changes the way the silencer software filters the audio.
View attachment 1892544

Thanks for running that to ground, 67. Yeah, as I said above, from a filter/signal standpoint, I thought v4 and v5 really only addressed new hardware compatibility and some added features like tracking ground balance sensitivity adjustments and the way silencer automatically adjust to reactivity settings. So its not surprising the filter settings stayed the same as v3.2.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread