Testing the Deus and Equinox at Frequency 15kHz (No Music)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the testing.
I have stayed with the 9" elliptical HF coil since I put it on. I have found up in the 74 range I can tweek out the small 22 shorts lead, starter pistol casing type of finds out of iron-so I think I'm covering it well enough.
Zero disc. and it depends on the conditions 90-95 for the sensitivity. Have started playing around with the reactivity a bit 2-3. Main hunting is bush/field/cellar so modern track is limited on the private.
There's iron then there's sites where it can be just too much 6 pieces for a shovel full. Though I'm still going with the high tone iron sound-something about them sometimes producing the non-ferrous find.
It's a challenging go and a lot of scrap to get a few noble target out.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with pepperj. Anything under about 20 hkz is yesterday's meatloaf. The old White's I had a millennium ago was running 4-5 hkz. Then we started with the Tesoros at about 14-20hkz. Now I only use 74 khz as most of the old places have been hit with the older low frequencies and the type of targets from those old spots are pretty much gone. It's the high frequency that punches down and gets the goodies.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm with pepperj. Anything under about 20 hkz is yesterday's meatloaf. The old White's I had a millennium ago was running 4-5 hkz. Then we started with the Tesoros at about 14-20hkz. Now I only use 74 khz as most of the old places have been hit with the older low frequencies and the type of targets from those old spots are pretty much gone. It's the high frequency that punches down and gets the goodies.

I learnt something thanks Smokey.
I have little/zip of tech. knowledge when it come to twerking the settings of a machine. (Comes so naturally to some-they thumb the pad like a teen texting)
I didn't realize the White's were that low at 4-5 kHz.
The first one being the Goldmaster then the Tr, then the Alaskan, Coinmasters.....
We did discover that turning the Goldmaster on all mineral it would buy steady until it would blank out when going over a target, increased the depth-plus the recovery rate of way too many items.
Oh to be young and the endless energy we had......

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OLD OLD White's were the standard for a long time. When me moved to (still a vlf machine) but 14.4 or something like that then the Tesoro (old style) Lobo, we kicked butt.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A little background music in your videos would be nice.

Just kidding :laughing7:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey smokey, just before all the snow fell here in NJ I invested in an XP Deus to compliment my Equinox 800, because a few of the best sites here in town are super-heavy iron infested sites. My XP Deus came with the 11" X35 coil, so it's top frequency is up near 27khz. Would you recommend that I use that highest frequency for now? (Someday I may invest in the 9" HF Elliptical coil, but I want to see what the stock coil will do for me this year).

The two or three times I took the Deus out (before the snow) I was using the middle frequencies (around 11khz and around 17khz). They seemed to work fine.
By the way, I love that I can use the expert settings to tweak the frequency to avoid EMI. I was have A LOT of EMI issues with my Equinox in a few locations, and I think the Deus will help me resolve that issue as a bonus to also being good in the iron.

Oh, bharpring, thanks for the videos - they're very interesting, although I have to say that I only put a limited amount of faith in air tests like yours. Where I'm hunting the iron has been in the ground for 200+ years and I think it gets that "halo" around it from interacting with the soil. I don't think air tests mimic that halo - but I'm not trying to take anything away from what you're demonstrating, which is apples-to-apples comparisons of Deus vs. Equinox. That's still valuable information, and I thank you for publishing it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'd try the higher frequency on Deus Fast and tracking ground balance. I just love going behind folks and finding something, then they tell me I brought it with me! They are sometimes so jealous. Sometimes its the other way around when they find something just because they got to the spot first!

I still thinks the way it works is 50% site - stuff has to be there, 25% machine and 25% user. Leave one or the other out and disappointment follows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread