XP not in support of HF coils for the Deus?

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just had a purchase cancelled because the seller cannot get the Deus configured with the HF coil. Seller indicated that the Deus is backorder status and only comes configured with X35 coils. Shopping around online other sellers seem to be in the same boat regarding the X35 coil.

Anyone know what the story is with XP company and HF coils?

Wouldn't be an issue but at several hundred dollars a pop it makes the already steep purchase a turn your head and cough affair if you have to buy the HF coil as an accessory.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you mean the LF coils.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have no issues connecting the HF coil-it's the other one that won't connect-nor the pinpointer.

Once everything is sent in and the updated programs is uploaded they it will resolve the issues.

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand this post but I'm following in case someone can explain its meaning.
Does Dug mean the "X35" coil when he says 38? Or is there another coil I'm not aware of? Or is the X38 the HF coil's designation?

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't understand this post but I'm following in case someone can explain its meaning.
Does Dug mean the "X35" coil when he says 38? Or is there another coil I'm not aware of? Or is the X38 the HF coil's designation?

Sorry, meant the X35. will correct my post.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you mean the LF coils.

I see the Elliptical 9" referred to as a HF and advertised as same.

22.5cm (9”) Round DD coil:
13 to 15.7kHz, 26 to 31kHz, 50 to 59kHz
24 x 13cm Elliptical DD coil:
13 to 15.7kHz, 26 to 31kHz, 68 to 81kHz

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have no issues connecting the HF coil-it's the other one that won't connect-nor the pinpointer.

Once everything is sent in and the updated programs is uploaded they it will resolve the issues.

I'm not insinuating there is a problem, just trying to understand why the manufacturer is not offering it.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you can order an ORX with the 9.5" Elliptical or the 9" round, or the X35 coils. Could be that there just gets to be too many combinations. If you were a dealer in the U.S. how'd you like to stock all the different combinations? That would be something like 10 different sets between the ORX and the Deus. You could end up with many that just sat on a shelf for months at a time. Or you'd stock one ORX and one Deus and all the different coils and offer any and all combinations. Problem with that is the company has them as a serialized set and they register that way for warranty purposes. The way around all that would be for you to order from your local dealer and wait for XP to ship it from France. Wanna wait that long for your detector? We used to order car with all the features and accessories we wanted. Now you go pick something from the lot or another dealer's lot. What happens if the car you want isn't offered in the color you'd like to have? You either settle for a different color or get a different make or model in the color you want. Sure be nice if we could get everything just the way we want it.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(EDIT: I changed my post because I recalled a bit more about my shopping experience)

Thanks for the clarification Dug.
Now that I understand I can share my experience: I had the same problem as you. I bought a Deus in January, and I would have LOVED to just get the 9"x5" Elliptical HF coil with the control unit (the thing with the screen) and the WS5 headphones, but the dealer I was working with did not have that configuration.
I seem to remember seeing that the 9"x5" elliptical HF coil was available in a "gold prospecting" bundle, but I wasn't going to be using mine for gold prospecting so I was scared off by that packaging/marketing. (I now realize that it was just packaging/marketing - that 9"x5" HF coil for "gold prospecting" is the same one everyone loves for coin/relic/jewelry hunting).

Instead, from the dealer I was working with I had to buy the Deus with an X35 coil and the control unit and WS5 headphones. I wanted it with the 9" round X35 coil but that wasn't in stock and I didn't want to wait, so I accepted the 11" round X35 coil.
If I want the Elliptical HF coil in the future I'll have to buy it extra. I may or may not do that at some point, but I anticipate that for 2021 I'll be learning the 11" round X35 - and I think it's going to be fantastic. If you're set on a Deus (like I was) my conclusion was that the inability to ONLY get an HF coil shouldn't deter you.

As for compatibility, all the new detectors come with the version 5 of their software, and from what I understand v5 is compatible with both the HF coils and the X35 coils. However I don't think v5 of the software works with older 11" round coils.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Brianc053.

It would appear that if I want to own the Deus I need to buy it with a coil that will only serve as a back up and I will need to spend the extra money for the coil I want. I will probably go with the 11" as a wilderness coil when I'm looking to stumble on any ground that had human activity.

Yes, I would like some cheese with my whine.:unhappysmiley:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The LF coils have been discontinued. These are not the same as the X35 or the HF coils.

gravityboy

Jul 18, 2018
Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900Di
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Fors CoRe
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Simplex+
XP Deus
Minelab NOX 600
Minelab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(EDIT: I changed my post because I recalled a bit more about my shopping experience)

Thanks for the clarification Dug.
Now that I understand I can share my experience: I had the same problem as you. I bought a Deus in January, and I would have LOVED to just get the 9"x5" Elliptical HF coil with the control unit (the thing with the screen) and the WS5 headphones, but the dealer I was working with did not have that configuration.
I seem to remember seeing that the 9"x5" elliptical HF coil was available in a "gold prospecting" bundle, but I wasn't going to be using mine for gold prospecting so I was scared off by that packaging/marketing. (I now realize that it was just packaging/marketing - that 9"x5" HF coil for "gold prospecting" is the same one everyone loves for coin/relic/jewelry hunting).

Instead, from the dealer I was working with I had to buy the Deus with an X35 coil and the control unit and WS5 headphones. I wanted it with the 9" round X35 coil but that wasn't in stock and I didn't want to wait, so I accepted the 11" round X35 coil.
If I want the Elliptical HF coil in the future I'll have to buy it extra. I may or may not do that at some point, but I anticipate that for 2021 I'll be learning the 11" round X35 - and I think it's going to be fantastic. If you're set on a Deus (like I was) my conclusion was that the inability to ONLY get an HF coil shouldn't deter you.

As for compatibility, all the new detectors come with the version 5 of their software, and from what I understand v5 is compatible with both the HF coils and the X35 coils. However I don't think v5 of the software works with older 11" round coils.

I've had a fair share of LF/HF and X35 coils over the years. I will say the 11" X35 paired with the HF elliptical is pretty much the perfect combination for relic hunting...so fear not! :)

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had a fair share of LF/HF and X35 coils over the years. I will say the 11" X35 paired with the HF elliptical is pretty much the perfect combination for relic hunting...so fear not! :)

I just placed an order with a 2nd dealer and waiting to see if their "one available" is actually the case. Apparently the on line process is the customer buys the item, the dealer then sends an order to a distributor, if the distributor is out of stock then the dealer gives the customer the option of waiting for the back order to be eventually filled or getting a refund on their payment.

I ordered the 11X35 coil pkg with the the plan that I will eventually get the elliptical HF coil when my finances can afford it.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just placed an order with a 2nd dealer and waiting to see if their "one available" is actually the case. Apparently the on line process is the customer buys the item, the dealer then sends an order to a distributor, if the distributor is out of stock then the dealer gives the customer the option of waiting for the back order to be eventually filled or getting a refund on their payment.

I ordered the 11X35 coil pkg with the the plan that I will eventually get the elliptical HF coil when my finances can afford it.

Good luck Dug, I hope you get it!

I’m still waiting on an MI-6 pinpointer that my dealer owes me (was part of their package); the dealer said something similar, that it’s back ordered at the distributor.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ll be disappointed if XP decides to quit supporting the HF coils. I have both the 9” round and elliptical HF coils and use both.

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My limited experience with XP and their inventory problems tell me that they either can't keep up with demand, or distributors are too few and far between. I bought an ORX used on ebay last fall. It came with the 9.5x5"elliptical HF coil. I loved it. I enjoyed the ORX and loved the HF elliptical coil. The ORX was finding large coppers in areas that had been hammered by Equinox and Garrett machines.

Once I got the ORX down, I began to feel it's limitations and looked into the Deus. I bought the Deus for myself for Christmas, and started looking for the 9" round HF coil in the U.S. after hearing how well it performed. I had NO luck finding one until mid March. I contacted XP in France a few times and they assured me that a shipment was due to arrive in the US in March, which it did. Here in Massachusetts there is a dealer/distributor that I set up a pre-order with, and waited from mid January until mid March. I finally got the 9" round HF coil. Meanwhile, I had no trouble finding the 9" and 11" X35 coils, which I bought. Now I have four coils. Two HF and two X35 coils. Honestly, I only use the HF coils, and the elliptical more than the round.

XP seems to either underestimate their popularity, or sales, or both... or they just can't make them fast enough to keep up. I honestly don't know. All I do know is there seems to be varying limited supplies of almost all their equipment, for whatever reason. Thankfully I now have everything I need and want from XP. It didn't come easy, and I think it should have. I don't see other manufacturers falling as far behind as them, but I honestly don't keep tabs on all the stuff out there.

As far as supporting their HF coils, I don't see that as a problem, as the HF coils are on the top of everyone's list of wanted items. The HF coils are their bread and butter right now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I brought my Equinox 800 to a permission many times last fall, as well as a Garrett AT Max. I brought the Deus to this place last week with the HF elliptical, and it felt like the place had never been detected before. It was't a little bit better, it was a LOT better, and I found a multitude of items that the other detectors never picked up on. I do love the Deus, and the HF coils.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I do believe they are totally supported, in short supply due to demand also. The OP referred to not being able to purchase one with only the HF coil.

Last edited:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I do believe hey are totally supported, in short supply due to demand also. The OP referred to not being able to purchase one with only the HF coil.

My limited experience with XP and their inventory problems tell me that they either can't keep up with demand, or distributors are too few and far between. I bought an ORX used on ebay last fall. It came with the 9.5x5"elliptical HF coil. I loved it. I enjoyed the ORX and loved the HF elliptical coil. The ORX was finding large coppers in areas that had been hammered by Equinox and Garrett machines.

Once I got the ORX down, I began to feel it's limitations and looked into the Deus. I bought the Deus for myself for Christmas, and started looking for the 9" round HF coil in the U.S. after hearing how well it performed. I had NO luck finding one until mid March. I contacted XP in France a few times and they assured me that a shipment was due to arrive in the US in March, which it did. Here in Massachusetts there is a dealer/distributor that I set up a pre-order with, and waited from mid January until mid March. I finally got the 9" round HF coil. Meanwhile, I had no trouble finding the 9" and 11" X35 coils, which I bought. Now I have four coils. Two HF and two X35 coils. Honestly, I only use the HF coils, and the elliptical more than the round.

XP seems to either underestimate their popularity, or sales, or both... or they just can't make them fast enough to keep up. I honestly don't know. All I do know is there seems to be varying limited supplies of almost all their equipment, for whatever reason. Thankfully I now have everything I need and want from XP. It didn't come easy, and I think it should have. I don't see other manufacturers falling as far behind as them, but I honestly don't keep tabs on all the stuff out there.

As far as supporting their HF coils, I don't see that as a problem, as the HF coils are on the top of everyone's list of wanted items. The HF coils are their bread and butter right now, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I brought my Equinox 800 to a permission many times last fall, as well as a Garrett AT Max. I brought the Deus to this place last week with the HF elliptical, and it felt like the place had never been detected before. It was't a little bit better, it was a LOT better, and I found a multitude of items that the other detectors never picked up on. I do love the Deus, and the HF coils.

Smokey is right - the OP wanted to buy a Deus with just the HF coil, which isn't an option as far as I know.
But Russ I wanted to add to your story: I bought my Deus in January as a late Christmas present to myself, and the bundle I bought was supposed to come with the MI-6 pint pointer, but my distributor didn't have any. They assured me that they'd send me one as soon as they got them from France.
My MI-6 came in that same March shipment that you were talking about. Apparently XP was that backordered. (Although my distributor also thought some of the delay had something to do with an extended US customs hold due to the pandemic or personnel shortages.)

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is correct, I should have been clearer with my post and I apologize.

At one point some dealers offered the option of buying the Deus with an HF coil. When the Pandemic put a pinch on the availability of the Deus the HF configuration option disappeared. I was forced to buy the Deus with an X35 coil and buy the HF coil separately.

Indy durtdigger

Mar 20, 2019
East Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Equinox 600, XP DEUS with 9, 11x13, and HF coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just a supply chain issue with all the CV stuff going on. I spoke with Bart at Big Boys Hobbies in late March after an order was cancelled and he indicated that most places were running out of stock and what is filtering in is borderline not enough to meet demand. In the time since we spoke he was able to fill my next order as a shipment finally came in. You might give him a call or use the super handy chat function on his website as he actually stocks a fair amount of stuff and most things I have ordered from him he bundled together and shipped from his store. Another good reason to actually call him is there are often dealer promos he can offer "in person" but can't offer or give if you just order off the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread