Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took my new Deus out for the first time. Ran it on program 2 Gold Max with the 11' X35 coil and no tweeks. WS4s sounded great.

I really like how the remote gives updates on the remaining charge of the remote and the coil. I should have paid more attention to the WS4s as it switched off (after 4.5 hours use) with the remote and coil still showing about 2/3 remaining battery. I'm just walking along swinging and started thinking wow, the ground had really gotten quiet here. Got my answer when I passed the coil over my shovel and nothing:laughing7:. I had bumped the WS4 volume up to 7 this morning so I guess that made it drain faster.

Newbie question, will the WS4s still function while being charged? Figured I would carry a small battery pack to hook up to the WS4s and put in my pocket while detecting if I run into this again.

Brought home two Georgius coppers that are in rough shape, need to work on them to try to pull any dates. Also a cool axe head.

Not shown are a bunch of shotgun shells, buck shot pellets, and miscellaneous iron junk, and scraps of pewter and brass. Some of the flat buttons were picked up where I had been with my F75 last time. So I'm sold on the Deus.

coppers.jpg
Chopper.jpg

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Nice bunch of finds Dug both metallic and non metallic. That is a big axe! Rail splitter I am guessing. Your WS4's should easily hold a charge all day.....even if you crank up the volume.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bunch of finds Dug both metallic and non metallic. That is a big axe! Rail splitter I am guessing. Your WS4's should easily hold a charge all day.....even if you crank up the volume.

Do I have a problem with my WS4 battery or is this normal for the first couple cycles?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably normal break in, but make sure it is truly getting a full charge overnight via a wall charger vs. a power bank which can shut off due to the small charge current drawn by the headphones and remote. It should last all day and then some, if fully charged. And to answer your other question, yes, you can charge the headphones on the fly while using them, if necessary.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably normal break in, but make sure it is truly getting a full charge overnight via a wall charger vs. a power bank which can shut off due to the small charge current drawn by the headphones and remote. It should last all day and then some, if fully charged. And to answer your other question, yes, you can charge the headphones on the fly while using them, if necessary.

Will give it another try. Have not used a power bank yet, I have only used my wall charger until a pic of a fully charged battery flashes. My remote displays 5.21 as the latest change when turned on.

My bad for not looking at my WS4s for the remaining charge at all yesterday. At about the 4 hour mark while taking a break, with the remote and WS4s still on together I paired my elliptical HF coil on the remote. I know it was a successful pairing as the Elliptical coil was picking up my shovel and later a shotgun shell. It was about 30 minutes into the hunt with the Elliptical that the WS4s shutoff due to drained battery.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an automatic shut-off after something like 5 hours. Wonder if this is what happenned. But yes, the batteries need several cycles to reach full capacity.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There could of been a disruption in the charging clip/plug on that charge cycle.
Over all results I'd be one smiling guy. Nice point!!
Congrats on the 2 old coppers as well.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is an automatic shut-off after something like 5 hours. Wonder if this is what happenned. But yes, the batteries need several cycles to reach full capacity.

There is a very good chance this is what happened. I was unaware that the WS4 shuts off by itself after 5 hours. I was able to turn the WS4 back on but I was getting a weird drained battery pic on it so I assumed the charge was drained.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There could of been a disruption in the charging clip/plug on that charge cycle.
Over all results I'd be one smiling guy. Nice point!!
Congrats on the 2 old coppers as well.

Very unusual site I am on and have made 3 trips to it so far. It is high ground overlooking a wet valley in coastal SC where the ground is normally very flat. It has been recently deeply plowed/tall rowed (with pine seedlings by a timber company. There is Indian pottery shards and Chert rock chips everywhere but predominantly on top of the rows of seedlings. With the amount of pottery shards on this site it had to have been an Indian village at one point. I have never seen so much Indian pottery in one area. I have only found two complete points with a couple of broken ones so far and that was in between a few heavy rains.

In one small area on this hill (1/3 of hill top) I have found a little bit of blue edge pottery, flat buttons, melted lead blobs, lots of burnt wood, the two coppers (they were about 50 yards apart from each other), two early axe heads and a hoe head, and some square nails. Only have found part of one brick. I have found nothing in the surrounding pines. This is an isolated spot out in the wilderness so very unlikely anyone has ever hunted it. And my footprints are the only ones out there.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One last point about my impressions with the Deus, when I found the first copper the Deus gave me a Sam Kinison scream and a high 90 reading. When I got to my 2nd copper I got the same response and was able to guess I found another copper before I dug it out. Definetly like the tones of the Deus.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like the coils the steady white light during charging will blink on/off every 4 seconds when charge is complete.

So when my WS4 is flashing every two seconds it is still charging and will eventually slow down to flashing every four seconds?

I have had my WS4s plugged in all night, and they still flash every two seconds.

Last edited:

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
When I'm charging my WS4s there is a charge bar to the right side the will fill in segments from the bottom to the top.
It will continue this until they are fully charged and then the charge bar will blink on and off with full bars.

OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I'm charging my WS4s there is a charge bar to the right side the will fill in segments from the bottom to the top.
It will continue this until they are fully charged and then the charge bar will blink on and off with full bars.

Can you tell me the number of seconds between blinking on and off?

Relicmeister stated his blink every four seconds. Mine blink every two seconds. May not seem like much an issue but mine are suspect to begin with. The thing that surprises me most is that I have asked this very question not only here but on a few forums and I have yet to have anyone directly answer my question.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are overthinking it. The full charge bar blinks fast, is less than a second for both the remote and the headphones when fully charged. The coils on the other hand blink every several seconds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dug

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are overthinking it. The full charge bar blinks fast, is less than a second for both the remote and the headphones when fully charged. The coils on the other hand blink every several seconds.

Thank you for the answer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread