Deus noob

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start with the Deep Or Hot or Fast. The people that made the Deus did a VERY good job of the standard programs

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It totally depends on the personal preferences of the individual hunter on what they want to hear.
Deus Fast
0 discrimination
92-95 sensitivity
volume 4-6
Slow the swinging down in the heavy iron, it'll tweak out the non-ferrous.
Not sure what coil you're getting 11"/13"
The HF coils are top notch for tweaking out even more.

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m got the 11” coil, I’ve seen my buddy pull some great stuff with the hf sniper coil out of thick iron. Thanks gents!!!!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on getting the Deus ..I hope to get one also..

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your purchase Joe. I also got the 11” and it’s the only coil I have.
I agree with Smokey’s suggestion to use the Fast program, and don’t go too crazy with the custom programs yet.
BUT:
- I believe Fast uses 3 tones out of the box. I’d suggest considering Full Tones instead. It’s personal preference but if you don’t mind hearing all the nuances in the tones, get used to Full Tones from the very beginning.
- I think Fast sets the Discrimination to something positive (6.1 according to a table I found). You may want to lower that to the lowest number (-6.4) and get used to hearing the iron from the beginning also.
- you’ll probably need to/want to get comfortable changing frequencies and Expert frequency shifts from the beginning too.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into an unusual situation yesterday. Vferrari and I went to a group dig. I got a little stuff on one part of the farm, V then found a spot with a lot of DEEP minies. Generally too deep for the Equinoxes, AT Max and Pros and Simplexes that swung almost next to us, gave up and left. I had the Deus. I did get several bullets right off. The Deus fast program would hear a tiny peep. V had one of those big GPX machines I can't pick up. Finally I upped the sensitivity to "93" on the Deus and picked up cleaner signals (and minies). At his recommendation I then alternately used the "gold field" program. I got 16 bullets. He stayed there a lot longer than I did. I was whooped. So, certain conditions require radical changes. And knowing what you are doing...

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the Deus Fast program the best with the highest frequency possible. DO NOT go with a custom program for now.
Thanks Smokey, I plan on using their stock programs with reduced iron volume ( once I figure out how to do that). What do you think of the 2 tone option? I use 2 tone on my Nox in cleaner areas and have had really good luck with it. One of my hunting buddies uses the Deus ws4 and does really well with it.
On another note, I ordered it from metal detector.com a local company 2 towns over from me a week ago and still have not received it. So I called to check on it and they told me “I was still within the 8 days shipping window” I asked if it was actually in stock, they confirmed then I asked what the hold up was and they replied “ you are still within the 8 day shipping window” I politely thanked them, hung up and muttered WTF!!!!!!!! I think they may be freaked out or are over compensating for Covid 19. I have purchased 2 other machines from them and a ton of accessories and they’re usually super quick to ship, it’s a head scratcher. I ordered my equinox 800 smack dab in the middle of the pandemic from kellyco and had it in my hot little hands 2 days later.
Anyway, you Deus users may be getting bombarded by my questions soon soooooooooooooo..............

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So did you get the machine?

OP
OP
Joe-Dirt

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Came yesterday after I called and bytched at the owner. Only took 12 days to make it 3 towns over. Anyway, I got it, had it out for about half an hour before we hit our freshly plowed field , it’s going to be a big learning curve coming from my equinox but I’m excited to learn it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will be a quick learning curve. Do not overthink the machine. I would start with Deus fast, I also like a higher frequency. Use the tracking program and don't do anything else for now. I only use three tones, I probably should do four, BUT, what I have found is go slow - what you are looking for is a repeatable tone. That's the secret. Not the number of tones set, not so much the frequency, but does the tone repeat and is the vdi anywhere over 45? I have never found gold under 45. Most of your best targets will be 65 or so to 96. Now, that's a big range, but the small brass targets will hit in the 60's, with lead going into the 80's and silvers in the 90's BUT I hit a gold coin at a "92" once, not a lower number like you qould expect somewhere in the 50's. The machine should run silently. When you get a signal, run the loop over it a couple times. Nails will chirp, let them go, except maybe at first to confirm your signals.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still end up digging those sq.nails especially the hooked shaped ones, they sound good.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig some. Some I even keep and conserve.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an older post,BUT,I just ordered a XP Deus after using a whites M-6 for the last 13 years,have to go over some of the hunted grounds again.

Chris

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is an older post,BUT,I just ordered a XP Deus after using a whites M-6 for the last 13 years,have to go over some of the hunted grounds again.

Chris
Chris you're going to be surprised at how much can still be dug at some of the sites.
The separation capability of the Deus 2 even over the Deus 1 is impressive.
From owning Minelabs for a decade then switching the sites were alive again.
Best of luck with the new machine.
The weight alone brings pleasure in hunting.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris you're going to be surprised at how much can still be dug at some of the sites.
The separation capability of the Deus 2 even over the Deus 1 is impressive.
From owning Minelabs for a decade then switching the sites were alive again.
Best of luck with the new machine.
The weight alone brings pleasure in hunting.
I sure am looking forward to hunting the meadows,112 wide open acres. I have hunted for 8 years now,found some amazing stuff too.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris which Deus did you order ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread