pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For some reasons tones are coming through real quiet and almost monotone. I wonder if some setting is screwed up on the detector or headphones

What is your volume set at?
What is the tone set up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your volume set at?
What is the tone set up?
I honestly have no idea I never messed with those settings was overwhelmed with the basic as is I'll have to check it out when I next boot it up.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly suggest getting Andy Sabisch Deus handbook at some point. He really breaks it all down and demystifies it.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly suggest getting Andy Sabisch Deus handbook at some point. He really breaks it all down and demystifies it.
I shall do so when I can. I've been watching a ton of YouTube videos but my problem is I have a problem retaining info so it's been semi helpful

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JVA5th, I wanted to let you know that I transitioned from the AT Pro to the XP Deus a little over two years ago. To be perfectly honest with you; I did not like the XP Deus at all when I first started using it. I found the machine to be very loud and "flat" sounding when compared to the AT Pro.

Here's the deal though... I made the mistake of diving into custom programs way too fast. Naturally, the site and desired target type will determine what settings you use. Having said that, if your site allows for it; I would highly recommend that you start off by using Deus Fast with factory settings. Take your time and dig everything!

This is the approach that I took, and it paid off big time. I did eventually decide that I preferred setting audio response to 3, I am a coin shooter and found that this helped me to identify a coin vs. modern trash. I also eventually set my tone breaks and their respective tones (pitches) based on my individual preferences. To date, I still use Deus Fast for all of my base programs and I only make changes sparingly.

I would definitely pickup Andy Sabisch's book, and be sure to checkout Calabash Digger's YouTube videos. Gary Blackwell from the UK also has very informative videos, but you need to be cautious with regards to his custom programs as they were designed for use in the UK.

Don't forget; that the Deus is fully customizable. You can actually configure the Deus to sound and behave similar to your AT Pro. In fact, I made a custom program on my Deus that does just that!

Like I said, start with Deus Fast, buy Andy's book, and above and beyond all; enjoy yourself!

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JVA5th, I wanted to let you know that I transitioned from the AT Pro to the XP Deus a little over two years ago. To be perfectly honest with you; I did not like the XP Deus at all when I first started using it. I found the machine to be very loud and "flat" sounding when compared to the AT Pro.

Here's the deal though... I made the mistake of diving into custom programs way too fast. Naturally, the site and desired target type will determine what settings you use. Having said that, if your site allows for it; I would highly recommend that you start off by using Deus Fast with factory settings. Take your time and dig everything!

This is the approach that I took, and it paid off big time. I did eventually decide that I preferred setting audio response to 3, I am a coin shooter and found that this helped me to identify a coin vs. modern trash. I also eventually set my tone breaks and their respective tones (pitches) based on my individual preferences. To date, I still use Deus Fast for all of my base programs and I only make changes sparingly.

I would definitely pickup Andy Sabisch's book, and be sure to checkout Calabash Digger's YouTube videos. Gary Blackwell from the UK also has very informative videos, but you need to be cautious with regards to his custom programs as they were designed for use in the UK.

Don't forget; that the Deus is fully customizable. You can actually configure the Deus to sound and behave similar to your AT Pro. In fact, I made a custom program on my Deus that does just that!

Like I said, start with Deus Fast, buy Andy's book, and above and beyond all; enjoy yourself!
Thank you for all the info. I think I can tweak the fast mode to tolerate the high mineralization. Also some of my favorite spots here have a ton of tiny iron bits and lots of degraded tin roof bits from old houses and a barn that used to be here. I think I just jumped into a spot I wasn't prepared for yet

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent advice by secondstar above. I have seen several AT pro users initially struggle with the Deus at first for whatever reason, but Deus does usually, eventually click for them so be patient and stick with it. It will be frustrating but with patience and adequate swing hours will eventually pay off.

Regarding Deus coils:

Mine unfortunately came with the x35 but once I have funds I'll upgrade it for now I'll learn with this one

Good luck with the Deus. Don’t underestimate the X35. It’s the best all
Purpose coil.

Agree with relicmeister. X35 is the best all around coil. Nothing unfortunate about it. No need for you to think about another coil at this point, especially since Deus coils are expensive because of the embedded electronics and wireless. The HF coils are more specialized for gold prospecting and certain types of relic hunting. You can coin shoot with them too, but the x35s are more versatile because of the range of frequencies at which they operate. I like my HF coil a lot, but the x35 is an excellent all around coil and great if you are new to the Deus.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the pitch program with two tones

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be darned careful with the Ground Balance. This can mess with you bad. If you are bombarded with noise, try raising it as much as five points from where it balances. That's why some say to not even mess with it at first, just leave it at 90 or 88.

Reactivity is another one that can mess with you. Too low and it just can't see though the mineralized ground or trash. I swing a bit faster at higher Reactivity settings.

And another one is iron falsing up around 97-99. Not recommended but you can put a notch there to quiet it down at least while you are learning it if it too much.

Basic is not that deep a program so don't worry about things yet.

Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want real depth in mineralized ground start practiciong with the GOLD FIELD program for a short time each outing. Listen for the Zip Zip sound of a non-ferrous target. Use a little IAR to help break-up the ferrous targets. Plan on doing much deep digging, so best to start with a low trash area, or as I like, right on the edge of the heavy trash right where ti starts to thin out. Be prepared for ear fatigue.

This video shows easy set-up procedure--three things to remember. This DPR600 uses the same GOLD FIELD program (with a coiuple less features).

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another good video but note you have to be running in Full Tones to be able to hear the edges of the target.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank for all the help everyone I really do appreciate how helpful this community is.

secondstar

Mar 11, 2017
North Central Connecticut
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more bit of advice based upon a comment that you made earlier about the site that you went to. Personally, whenever I am learning a new machine, I head over to a park. Here's why; parks offer the greatest variety of targets. You'll find anything and everything at a park; coins (modern and older), jewelry, and a wonderful assortment of trash. If you're being overwhelmed by trash, you just move over to a section of the park that is more forgiving.

Again, I would dig everything, it's the best way to learn a new machine. Spend some time at an "easier" site and you'll find that the learning process goes more smoothly. From there you can head out to old homesteads, relic sites, and what have you. Put in the time and you're going to simply fall in love with the Deus. I own several machines (including the Equinox) and I find myself always going back to the Deus.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more bit of advice based upon a comment that you made earlier about the site that you went to. Personally, whenever I am learning a new machine, I head over to a park. Here's why; parks offer the greatest variety of targets. You'll find anything and everything at a park; coins (modern and older), jewelry, and a wonderful assortment of trash. If you're being overwhelmed by trash, you just move over to a section of the park that is more forgiving.

Again, I would dig everything, it's the best way to learn a new machine. Spend some time at an "easier" site and you'll find that the learning process goes more smoothly. From there you can head out to old homesteads, relic sites, and what have you. Put in the time and you're going to simply fall in love with the Deus. I own several machines (including the Equinox) and I find myself always going back to the Deus.
I have access to the fair grounds here anytime I want as my families business rents space there so I may go practice there.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of advice abounds. The gold field mode is an all metal mode. if there is a lot of iron around, forget that one. I would use Deus Fast, Tracking balance and your choice of frequencies. Go slow. You are listening for a repeatable signal. Specifically "how" it sounds is irrelevant. I use three tones, but what I am listening for is a repeatable signal. The VDI will give you a better idea of what's under the coil. I dig everything over 40. I have found gold starts out at 45 and that's a tiny bead of gold.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of advice abounds. The gold field mode is an all metal mode. if there is a lot of iron around, forget that one. I would use Deus Fast, Tracking balance and your choice of frequencies. Go slow. You are listening for a repeatable signal. Specifically "how" it sounds is irrelevant. I use three tones, but what I am listening for is a repeatable signal. The VDI will give you a better idea of what's under the coil. I dig everything over 40. I have found gold starts out at 45 and that's a tiny bead of gold.
Yeah fast tracking has been doing well for me. I've been using high 17 to try to get coins and I've had to get used to swinging the coil fast. Not complaining but I found it weird it basically ignored the foil all over on the top my neighbor ran over with his mower while my AT Pro goes nuts mid tone over it. For some reason my Dues isn't really seeing it on fast mode on the frequency I'm using. Not sure if that's good or bad but I feel like that means it's missing small stuff so I'm not sure.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using preset programs or tweaking it? If you are tweaking or notching the machine, STOP! Foil will read in the 30's and low 40's generally speaking. Easily ignorable.

And regarding a place you have pounded, there is only so much there to begin with. Maybe time for fresher dirt. I go to one Civil War camp that has been hit since the 1960's and still find one or two items, BUT fresher dirt is always better. Sometimes I go to that one spot just because its convenient.

OP
OP
JVA5th

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also I haven't been able to get my VDIs to be stable in this soil. They bounce all over the place been going by tones. Turned tone volume all the way up and changed them so I'd understand better which helped me a lot. I've found some round brass junk and the VDIs where just pointless they were not stable whatsoever for whatever reason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread