"Detectorists" TV show creator and star (and actual detectorist) uses an XP DĒUS

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Detectorists" TV show creator and star (and actual detectorist) uses an XP DĒUS

(I just noticed my auto-correct buggered up my subject line and I'm unable to edit it... the part in parenthesis should read: "and actual detectorist")

A friend just recommended this award-winning British series to me, so I checked it out. It's wonderful!

The show's creator, writer and co-star is a real-life metal detecting enthusiast and the show is based on his fictional character and best friend and their metal detecting hobby.

I'm watching it on Amazon Prime. I'm not much of a TV person and had never heard of it. Just passing it along in case you haven't heard of it either...

Last edited by a moderator:

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(I just noticed my auto-correct buggered up my subject line and I'm unable to edit it... the part in parenthesis should read: "and actual detectorist")

A friend just recommended this award-winning British series to me, so I checked it out. It's wonderful!

The show's creator, writer and co-star is a real-life metal detecting enthusiast and the show is based on his fictional character and best friend and their metal detecting hobby.

I'm watching it on Amazon Prime. I'm not much of a TV person and had never heard of it. Just passing it along in case you haven't heard of it either...

I was sorry to see it end. ..

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
I though it was a HOOT
I too was sorry they didn't have more episodes

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Title fixed for you.:icon_thumleft:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Desmo, that show has been talked about here for years. Too bad it never got too far but it was more about Brit humor than actual detecting. The humor was great! By the way I had one of the first Ducati Desmos, a 250 Diana back in the late 1960s. Wish I still had it!

Az Digger

Nov 20, 2016
Prescott Valley AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II Equinox 800, Mojave, compadre,bandido II, Diablo II, Garrett pro pin pointer, Grave digger shovel,Predator tools Phoenix, Gold trax, pro hunter,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent show I watch it couple times a year, even got a DMDC patch [emoji23]

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And Andy, the skinny one, is the one using the lightweight Deus. Lance, the stocky one, is the one using the heavy CTX3030 with 15" coil.

Notice Andy's jobs throughout the series, too. In one, he's using a buffing machine. In another, a string trimmer. I think there are a couple more like that too but they don't come to mind right now. I love all those subtle little "in-jokes" scattered about.

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Andy, the skinny one, is the one using the lightweight Deus. Lance, the stocky one, is the one using the heavy CTX3030 with 15" coil.

Notice Andy's jobs throughout the series, too. In one, he's using a buffing machine. In another, a string trimmer. I think there are a couple more like that too but they don't come to mind right now. I love all those subtle little "in-jokes" scattered about.

Also roadside trash pickup and archaeologist...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three seasons, I believe.
Andy, our pirate with the glass eye, in Pirates of the Caribbean - great actor...!

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were a lot of poignant, life lessons in the series. I loved the end when the rivals got together for the last hunt, and enjoyed each others company, and when the Crows gave up the hoard to Lance and Andy. Great stuff...

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the realism of the club meetings...!
The rivalries with other clubs - the suspicion, the drama...! :laughing7:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And the realism of the club meetings...!
The rivalries with other clubs - the suspicion, the drama...! :laughing7:

The lesbian couple... Varde, the quiet one. She has only one talking part, I believe... in series 2, episode 4). Sitting in the car during the stakeout, her girlfriend, Louise, turns to her and asks, "So, why the silent treatment?"

And at another point, it is mentioned that Varde will be giving a talk at that evening's meeting. We arrive at the meeting just in time to see Varde stepping down from the podium.

Tinhorn2

Jul 27, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife seen a lot more of the subtle little "in-jokes" that I did. She'd try to tell them what it meant but I think I'm to dumb to understand LOL. I got the DVD's & I aught to watch them again. I sure like the show. I thought I read they might start again, hope so

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And, in one episode, Mackenzie uses a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers metal detector. :laughing7:

Toby Jones, before he joined Hydra.

attachment.php

Attachments

• detectorists-3.jpg
    detectorists-3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And, in one episode, Mackenzie uses a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers metal detector. :laughing7:

Toby Jones, before he joined Hydra.

attachment.php

Andy, "Whatcha got?"
Lance (studying something with his jeweler's loupe): "Ringpull. Kaiser. 1972"

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the fist-bumps between Andy and Lance when they slip a Simon and Garfunkel song title into conversations with those two Antiquisearchers.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy, "Whatcha got?"
Lance (studying something with his jeweler's loupe): "Ringpull. Kaiser. 1972"

"Why you saving it?" "People on eBay pay good money for this cr@p."

OP
OP
desmobob

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lesbian couple... Varde, the quiet one. She has only one talking part, I believe... in series 2, episode 4). Sitting in the car during the stakeout, her girlfriend, Louise, turns to her and asks, "So, why the silent treatment?"

And at another point, it is mentioned that Varde will be giving a talk at that evening's meeting. We arrive at the meeting just in time to see Varde stepping down from the podium.

Actually, she does speak in one episode when she tells the club about the rumor of gold being onboard the crashed German bomber. Club president Terry cuts her off like she talks too much and says something like "...give others a chance to speak!". :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread