Found my 2 oldest coins /reales

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Niagra:
I thoroughly enjoyed the video and watching you dig up those finds. I'll assume the coins were minted in Mexico City. If so, the 1790 coin is maybe 3-4 times more valuable (if in the same condition) than the 1801. The 1790 also came in two varieties (Carlos "IV" or Carlos "IIII"); the "IIII" being slightly more valuable.

If Mexican, the mint mark, "M", or a small 'o' over a larger 'M" will appear in the 8 o'clock position just below the "1" of "1 R" (one real).

I'll guess these coin's $ value pale compared to the value of finding your two oldest coins in the same hunt.
Congrats!
Don........

OP
OP
N

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Mackaydon said:
Niagra:
I thoroughly enjoyed the video and watching you dig up those finds. I'll assume the coins were minted in Mexico City. If so, the 1790 coin is maybe 3-4 times more valuable (if in the same condition) than the 1801. The 1790 also came in two varieties (Carlos "IV" or Carlos "IIII"); the "IIII" being slightly more valuable.

If Mexican, the mint mark, "M", or a small 'o' over a larger 'M" will appear in the 8 o'clock position just below the "1" of "1 R" (one real).

I'll guess these coin's $ value pale compared to the value of finding your two oldest coins in the same hunt.
Congrats!
Don........
Don thank you for that info..The 1790 is a carlosIIII..I havent found a mint mark yet,But i have not cleaned the coins any further.I scratched them badly just wiping the dirt off (like a dummy)with my finger..That old silver scratches easy i found out.Im not sure if i should clean them anymore..any suggestions??

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Your big mistake was RUBBING the dirt from them. I cringed when I saw you do that. What I can say to that is NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER rub the dirt from a silver coin. You will scratch them. Those scratches cannot be removed and can seriously effect the value. Dump some water on them and soak the dirt off.

Congatulations on the finds. Just take some advice from a long time hunter. You could turn a key date coin into a filler with one swipe of the finger.

Mark S.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about acting like a kid,thats what it is all about! Awesome digs brother !! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions