old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure was a super find. Wonder who gets any of the treasure?

OP
OP
G

GUSS1964

Feb 29, 2008
The finder and the land owner share any reward the hoard is yet to be valued the york museum wants to purchase the hoard . there was 5 unknown roman coins and an extremely rare coin of emperor Otho who was only emperor for a few months in 69 ad before he was murdered . An Otho denarius was sold recently for £8000. There were 201 coins in the hoard which was 8 months wages for a roman soldier in the late second century in Britain.The coins in the hoard range from mark antony legionary coins BC to commodus 175 AD
The british museum say it is a very unusual hoard as all the coins are different and date from BC to 176 AD, they believe the soldier or person may have been a coin collector of sorts and was trying to collect all the different emperors and gods he could. Amazing to think that there were coin collectors even way back in roman times. The hoard has yet to be given a value, priceless i say how do you put a value on such a find.
Thanks for your comment and interest best regards Guss.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Guss that was so exciting to watch! what a fantastic discovery! congrats to your club members!

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow,Amazing,I felt the excitement for each and every one that shared the joy and the Thrill of a Lifetime :-) Congratulations,,HH

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread