Research and Recovery - Episode 5: Unexpected Finds in the Woods! Part 1

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Have you gone back with the detector? I bet there are some Barber coins waiting there. Hmmmm...maybe a picnic grove?

jddave79

Aug 22, 2007
Northern,WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Garrett ACE250
They all look like catsup/ketchup bottles to me....flat sides, alot ive seen are a light purple color.

HH -JD in WV

OP
OP
ResearchandRecovery

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KirkPA said:
Have you gone back with the detector? I bet there are some Barber coins waiting there. Hmmmm...maybe a picnic grove?
Hey Kirk,

I have went back since, but there was too much iron targets. So, I spent my hunting time cleaning out an area to search over. Came up with tons of shards of glass, pottery, and pieces of tea cups... Veteran's Day weekend is a 3 day long one for me so I'll be getting back out there!

jddave79 said:
They all look like catsup/ketchup bottles to me....flat sides, alot ive seen are a light purple color.

HH -JD in WV

Hey JD,

You are right, the majority of the bottles are Heinz 57 ketchup bottles. There are also a few liquor bottles in the mix. But, it seems the deeper I am getting, the older the bottles are getting. I researched the dates on the bottles and the first batch I brought home were from the 60s. The next few batches I brought back were from the 50s-40s.

On my last trip, I pulled a nice green "G and W Pale Dry" Ginger Ale bottle that was marked from "Columbia S.C." which is the city where I am at. Not sure on the date. I have only been able to find a picture of one more on the web so far...

I'll have Part 2 up by Monday!

-Ian

OP
OP
ResearchandRecovery

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a pic of a bottle that looks like the one I found while filming a few days ago. This is the only other one I could find online after digging to find it.

I'm looking for more information on it.

It's embossed with "Columbia Product" on top, "G and W" boxed in the middle and "Pale Dry" on the bottom.

On the side of the base it reads, "BIG BOY BOTTLING CO."

On the base it has "COLUMBIA, S.C."

Any Ideas?

Attachments

• GandWPaleDryBottle.jpg
    GandWPaleDryBottle.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,521

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey

Your videos are great Quality! Do you have someone filiming for you, or do you use a tripod?

OP
OP
ResearchandRecovery

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Larsmed said:
Hey

Your videos are great Quality! Do you have someone filiming for you, or do you use a tripod?

As far as quality, You-Tube destroys any of the quality left after I render it to under 100 megabytes. I do use a tripod on some shots and there is the 'hip-mount' tripod shot that SCDigger mentioned to me. It's used on "Survivorman" a lot.

Anyways, glad that you and everyone else are enjoying them! Thanks!

-Ian

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good video. I found a dump much like that some 30 years ago and it turned out to be a lumberjack camp used from about 1890 to maybe 1920's. My finds were mostly booz bottles. The trouble I had was the colored glass bottles were very brittle and many broke just trying to transport them. I found some medicine bottles with the date 1909 on them.

While I was there a kid came to the site and stepped on a broken bottle so I had to leave to take him home. I didn't have a detector with me at the time and I never returned to the site.

HH,

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread