MDing in the District

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Would be neat though to turn a lot of us loose in DC with our machines. Imagine the history that we could uncover. I would love to see what is under the grassy knoll.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
XTerraDon said:
Is metal detecting even allowed in the District other then on private property?

I've done a lot of MD in DC, look for ocnstruction and go to it, if it is federal property it is not allowed, stay out of parks and such, they are federal. I found a lot of civil war artifacts on the fort lincoln housing project
there is a HUGE trash puit behind the develoment that has been excavated to a fifty foot diameter twenty foot deep....still turning up reclic and period 'trash'.

Hunt the lawn strips next to houses and the pulic sidewalks, people used to leave coins there in little stacks for the paper boy in the 40's and fifties....

floodcitykid

ncholedigger

Jul 17, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone who posted info on digging in DC. I am heading to DC in the morning., I'll let you know if I find anything later on this week.

ncholedigger

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to check out neat fort Lincoln dr, commodore Joshua dr bc that is the area they are doing alot of construction... Housing and businesses. Large area was all wooded about a year ago they did do alot of grading along the 31st st and rt 50 side. Might have better luck around the new housing construction bc there wasn't as much grading done. Just a thought if you couldn't find a spot. Also it's not a bad area in that location so you should be safe and not bothered much.

gaucha

Tenderfoot
Nov 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me know if you find out anything. Im in Maryland and would like to find a group or club to do some Dtecting.

Short Round

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
AT-PR0 & Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would be neat though to turn a lot of us loose in DC with our machines. Imagine the history that we could uncover. I would love to see what is under the grassy knoll.

Ah not for nothing
but this grassy knoll you speak of
would be found @ Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread